BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2009 10:48:50 AM EDT
My wife is just getting into shooting.  She has a glock 19 and has used my 14.5/16" ARs.  

How would you design an AR for your wife?

She is 5'1" 100 pounds..

Was thinking to go with a SBR 7.5" barrel etc.  What else would you change component wise?  Any thoughts from anyone who has a wife that shoots regularly?

just wondering....
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless she likes a big blast in the face, I wouldnt design a 7.5" SBR.

I'd go with a lightweight 16" midlength.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife LOVES her Spikes .22 upper that I got her

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#3]
For someone her size I'd say make everything as light as possible.  Lightweight barrel, stick with the stock handguards, maybe a Micro Aimpoint, MBUS, etc.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I like this idea.. unless by "design something for wife" you meant an excuse to build something you've been wanting.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#5]
7.5" barrel AR will be loud and will have stouter recoil.  I'd stick to 14.5" or 16".  Get it with a pencil barrel, stock handguards.  Consider building it around the Cav Arms polymer lower IF she can shoot it comfortably.  LOP might be too long on that, though given her height.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#6]
A Colt LE6520 is perfect for a spouse who is small-statured. If A2s or Colts aren't your thing, then a flattop 14.5"/16" carbine with a lightweight barrel. It's not just about weight, it's about balance too.

Keep it simple and don't overthink it. If your spouse wants a red dot/flashlight/laser/VFG/ACOG/rail system she'll say so. Don't project what you think you'd want onto her weapon-that's the surest route to failure. Been there, done that, got the pile of parts to prove it.

ETA: My wife and ten year old daughter are pretty damned effective with a bone stock LE6920.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd get a Bravo Company Middie....BCM BCG...send it off to ADCO and have them turn it down to .625 from the FSB out to the flash hider threads
If you wanna rail ...go with a DD Omega ...or just plastic mid length handguards.

Put a CTR on it and a Micro Aimpoint in a LaRue Tactical Mount

Lower I'd go with the upcoming Bravo Company lower & CTR stock and what ever handgrip she likes best
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#8]
we should see the wife to get an idea

j/k!

I'd get her something simple compact and lightweight;
what about a 10.5'' barrel with a small red dot like an Aimpoint T1 on a flat top upper?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Edit:  comment best reserved for GD.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#10]
i hadnt considered the Kick or gases from the 7.5 was thinking more about weight.  Good points.
ETA: or additional noise...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I've taught a few women how to shoot rifles and a common problem is overall length and particularly the distance to the best spot for their offhand. So I'd look for a short stock rather than a short barrel. I agree with the light barrel and overall weight being kept down but wouldn't go very short on the barrel. Go for a smaller/thinner pistol grip, but have her try a bunch in her hand rather than guess. The smaller the hands the more particular this seems to get.

If you buy an upper prebuilt I'd hold off on rails unless they come with the setup you want otherwise. If you build, have her hold one of yours with the stock all the way in and see whether she prefers putting her hand on the handguards, mag well or would like a vfg. If she wants the VFG you obviously need at least a small piece of lower rail and a light rail setup is a good option.

Find out from the start whether she's going to want girly colors or not, it can effect your choices

Definitely let her pick optics/sights and it wouldn't hurt to have her involved in picking all the furniture. Unless she's as into it as you she won't care what the upper and lower are, or the bcg, buffer size, barrel twist or contour (other than the weight), what she'll care about is appearance and fit for her and there's no way you can make those calls for her and be right. Even if you would have picked what she decides on, you would have been wrong because she didn't get to pick. Been there, done that and I'm not even married. Heck, go to a few shows and shops with her and let her pick up everything under the sun and see what she likes. Have her break down what she likes or doesn't like as you go. If you're lucky you find something she really likes that's not bad for quality and you just have to do the finishing touches.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I would get a pencil 16" barrel.... cut down on the weight.

If you add weight anywhere, put it into the stock... This will balance it closer to her body, similar to a bull pup.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I designed this for my wife. She just loves it. This is a Superior Barrels build. So far, deadly accurate out to 600m.

15rd group@ 200yds.  She scares me sometimes.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine likes her 16" middy. DTI upper and spikes lower. Also got a 22 conv. from spikes for her and it feeds Great. Last week she picked up 4 550 rnd. value packs at wally world and was proud as hell of herself and of course I was too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#16]
For my wife; I built a Dissy type set-up.  I used a rrifle length free-float tube over a lightweight "16 bbl.  I went with a Sully stock as it's the right length, rugged, and she won't have to worry about trying to remember which position to put it in.  I went with an A1 type BUIS so that once it's set, she won't easily accidently change it.  For the primary optic, I went with Leupold's Prismatic because it'll work with or without batteries.  Then, I got silly with the DUraCoat to make it more "girl friendly."  After the DuraCoat cured enough, I  engraved the lower to add a liittle more "flair."

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife shoots my 16" mid length. A piston versus DI would be my 2 cents (less smoke in her face) and a collapsible stock. Not sure if I'd go PRS but a CTR is nice.

A good sling for off-bench shooting support and a good bipod for on-bench.

Beyond that... I'd have her stay off the optics until she's on target with good iron sights; so she starts of with training herself on good fundamentals.

Just my two cents.

If a NON-AR15 is an option; look into the:
FN PS90
TDI Kriss

Okki
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I would not do a 7.5", I found my GF shoots a lot better with my 14.5" M4 than my 10" because of the concussion. It tends to make her flinch, since she is a beggining level shooter you dont want her to develop bad habbits. So my suggestion is a 14.5 pencil barrel with a perm attached phantom to avoid the tax stamp. For hanguards you may want to try the MOE from Magpull.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For my wife; I built a Dissy type set-up.  I used a rrifle length free-float tube over a lightweight "16 bbl.  I went with a Sully stock as it's the right length, rugged, and she won't have to worry about trying to remember which position to put it in.  I went with an A1 type BUIS so that once it's set, she won't easily accidently change it.  For the primary optic, I went with Leupold's Prismatic because it'll work with or without batteries.  Then, I got silly with the DUraCoat to make it more "girl friendly."  After the DuraCoat cured enough, I  engraved the lower to add a liittle more "flair."

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu277/WolfTrack_album/IMG_0094.jpg

Sully is going to shit when he see's this.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#20]
No comment on the blast in the face...  My wife was quite comfortable shooting my mid-length.  She's like 5'8" 140 lbs and had no problems.  I wouldn't get her anything special just because of her size.  She'll have to get used to the rifle is all.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu277/WolfTrack_album/IMG_0094.jpg

Sully is going to shit when he see's this.

He's seen it...
I've done work for him in the past.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife's not much of a shooter, so I'd make it as "non-shooter proof" as possible.  Lightweight barrel, flat top, Aimpoint, telestock, good trigger.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#23]

<–––––––––––––––––––––––––––– The wife loves the avatar rig
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I built this light weight carbine for my wife. It's a CMMG upper on a Stag lower. We have a .22lr conversion kit in it currently. It's been a great little carbine.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought a S&W M&P 15 for the wife unit w/ all the magpul goodies on it.  Weighs 7.4 pounds w/o ammo.  She shoots it and loves it w/ 55gr ammo.  Little to no recoil, and light enough for her to shoot standing, benchrest, prone, etc.  It's got a 1:7 twist, so if we (ahem... I) want to shoot it with the heavier loads - no problems there, either.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

this and page 2 has begone.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've taught a few women how to shoot rifles and a common problem is overall length and particularly the distance to the best spot for their offhand. So I'd look for a short stock rather than a short barrel. I agree with the light barrel and overall weight being kept down but wouldn't go very short on the barrel. Go for a smaller/thinner pistol grip, but have her try a bunch in her hand rather than guess. The smaller the hands the more particular this seems to get.

If you buy an upper prebuilt I'd hold off on rails unless they come with the setup you want otherwise. If you build, have her hold one of yours with the stock all the way in and see whether she prefers putting her hand on the handguards, mag well or would like a vfg. If she wants the VFG you obviously need at least a small piece of lower rail and a light rail setup is a good option.

Find out from the start whether she's going to want girly colors or not, it can effect your choices

Definitely let her pick optics/sights and it wouldn't hurt to have her involved in picking all the furniture. Unless she's as into it as you she won't care what the upper and lower are, or the bcg, buffer size, barrel twist or contour (other than the weight), what she'll care about is appearance and fit for her and there's no way you can make those calls for her and be right. Even if you would have picked what she decides on, you would have been wrong because she didn't get to pick. Been there, done that and I'm not even married. Heck, go to a few shows and shops with her and let her pick up everything under the sun and see what she likes. Have her break down what she likes or doesn't like as you go. If you're lucky you find something she really likes that's not bad for quality and you just have to do the finishing touches.

Awesome suggestions.  Sounds like you know my wife... "Even if you would have picked what she decides on, you would have been wrong because she didn't get to pick."... funny stuff.  thanks

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome suggestions.  Sounds like you know my wife... "Even if you would have picked what she decides on, you would have been wrong because she didn't get to pick."... funny stuff.  thanks

he must know my wife too! ........ or maby that is how all woman are.

i am doing a car kiss for my wife.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#29]
This is the build I have for my wife so far. We're waiting patiently for the Del-Ton barrel. I have a spare carry handle that will be the sights until I can save up for an ML3 or T1.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I made my gal a lightweight contour 16" with a stubby stock.  She doesn't seem to have an issues with it.  However, shes not a gun fanatic.

More interesting...

I would set her up with an a1 grip, a collapsible stock of anyones choice, an A1 16" lightweight barrel upper and that should do for a few months until she demands she get an aimpoint like yours.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Colt 6520
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#32]
My wife runs a Bushmaster ORC with an EOtech 552.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Anything to keep her shoping & Not Coming to the range:) I use our Shreiff's training range so I get Sat. & Sunday on our 300 yd range No one but me...I Love it !!!  To me it's the best therapy in the world, to relax!...Alone with my firearm's.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Every one of them starts out for my wife

It always seems that she doesn't like it ... SO ... I have to start another one - one day she might like the next one I build for her
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#35]
The only accommodations my wife would need would be an adjustable stock for optimum pull length and a light barrel to keep the thing balanced.  She's good-really good.  She's been shooting longer than I have.

And I don't think I'd like sleeping on the sofa, so I'd skip the frilly decorative stuff.  And to me, "blue" means "inert" (her too), so I'd probably stay with black or OD.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#36]
5'1" 100lbs.... cough...   im gonna need to see a picture of your wife before i know whats best......
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#37]
My wife is pretty similar, 5'1", 95-100 pounds depending on the month.  (She was 85 lbs. before having kids.)

What I have found is that the overall weight of a long gun isn't a concern for her, but the length is.  In fact, overall length is probably twice the factor for her as is weight.  

She can handle heavy, short stuff better than light, long stuff.  So, when I bought her a Remington youth model shotgun for her birthday (short stock, short barrel), she LOVED IT.  It is no lighter than my AL2 (it feels a couple of ounces heavier to me), but it is 8" shorter - and that makes the difference between "I don't like it", and "I LOVE IT!"  She tells all of her friends how much she loves that shotgun.  The AR is another 8" shorter than her shotgun, so even though it feels a couple of ounces heavier again, the handling is just fine for her.

My AR has a 16", .750 barrel, so it is a little front-heavy.  Get yours in a lightweight barrel, and she will probably be 100% thrilled with it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#38]

I used to fit guns for ladies when I worked as a gunsmith, and the length of the gun was always the biggest problem.  The balance point was also an important factor.

I think a 14.5" AR with a collapsable stock would be an exellent choice.  An EMOD stock might balance it out and put the weight more between her hands and not all out front.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#39]
i am gonna try a 12.5"sbr with a m4-2000 can,an emod stock with a t-1 we'll see if she likes it
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#40]
7.5 does not have much kick, less than a 16in from what I have noticed, but the blast is not much fun for some women, but I like it. :D

I just finished one for my wife, kiss M4 with 14.5 w/perma FH.

Later I'll get the hand guard, grip, and stock done up in pink... once she decides she likes it that is.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#41]
My husband designed this for me.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Wife is getting this for her incoming Bday...The Hello Kitty Skull decals are a most...(Mine are in the mail)

JT CAR LW kit on a Cavalry lower. This is a very light setup...

MI BUIS should be here next week...

-erne

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#43]
My girlfriend loves my new LMT 14.5"+FSC556

LMT 14.5"+FSC556
MOE HG's
M4 milspec stock
H2 buffer
Ergo grip
BCM M16 BCG
MBUS rear, KNS NM front post

Of course she prefers anything .22 since it doesn't recoil at all and is quiet
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#45]
My wife liked my Yugo M70AB2 underfolder way more than any of my AR's. Go figure.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#46]
I built my wife an AR w/ a Cav Arms lower and a 16" upper w/ a std FSB... It's light and she shoots it accurately...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#47]
My chick get the same stuff I used to use.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:52:22 AM EDT
[#48]
my girl really likes my 10.5" LMT uppered pistol because its light. She likes the KAC M4 I have too but with the light, laser and eotech I hace on it she says its too heavy. So I decided I would build her an M4 with KAC RAS on it and put my eotech 511 on it as well to have as her own. I'll probably use an Essential Arms kit for the parts and an existing Bushmaster 16" barrel I have extra.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 1:30:49 AM EDT
[#49]
She would have no problem handling a 14.5" m4 profile barreled carbine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 2:22:59 AM EDT
[#50]
A vacuum that would entice her to use it?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top