Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 6:51:48 AM EDT
When I place the spacer on the end of the tube, slide the stock over both and push the stock flush against the back of the lower, the spacer rattles around. I guess when you install and tighten the screw the rattle will go away?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:55:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine still rattles, however your miles may vary.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#2]
a talked to someone at PKs  and he told me it's normal, and that when you tighten the screw down it will compress the stock (I assume he means the buttplate), but I just don't see it happening.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#3]
The rattle should stop when you tighten down on the stock screw............its been my experience.......do you have the aluminum or plastic spacer.................I prefer the aluminum one..........

If annoys you to no end...........super glue a stack of washers on top of the spacer.........just enough to take the rattle out..............remember the stock must fit snug to the receiver as it holds the take down spring captive...........
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The rattle should stop when you tighten down on the stock screw............its been my experience.......do you have the aluminum or plastic spacer.................I prefer the aluminum one..........

If annoys you to no end...........super glue a stack of washers on top of the spacer.........just enough to take the rattle out..............remember the stock must fit snug to the receiver as it holds the take down spring captive...........

It's an aluminum spacer, but it just doesn't seem long enough, and I already attempted to install the stock once, I tightened it down as much as possible but stripped the shit out of the screw in the process, and the stock was flush against the back of the receiver but it wiggled a little bit (rotated) as well as the spacer rattling around.  So i am waiting for another screw, and I am going to put a little electrical tape around the lug on the front of the stock where it fits into the receiver to prevent the rotational wiiggle, and try to use a better screw driver to avoid stripping it again.

So i guess the answer is it is sometimes normal for the spacer to rattle around even when everything is installed properly?  if so, what the hell is the purpose of the spacer?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So i guess the answer is it is sometimes normal for the spacer to rattle around even when everything is installed properly?  if so, what the hell is the purpose of the spacer?

I've had several rifles with A2 buttstocks and have currently a USGI A2 and I never had a spacer rattle around or any rotational wiggle, I just suppose that maybe a few that have mismatched brands and tolerances would rattle.

The purpose of the 5/8" spacer is to fill the gap between the rifle receiver extension (buffer tube) and the inside of the buttpad of the A2 stocks.

The A2 stocks are 5/8" longer than the A1 stocks but they use the same size rifle receiver extension, when you use an A2 stock you have to use the 5/8" spacer, when you use an A1 stock you don't have to use the spacer.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had several rifles with A2 buttstocks and have currently a USGI A2 and I never had a spacer rattle around or any rotational wiggle, I just suppose that maybe a few that have mismatched brands and tolerances would rattle.

The purpose of the 5/8" spacer is to fill the gap between the rifle receiver extension (buffer tube) and the inside of the buttpad of the A2 stocks.

The A2 stocks are 5/8" longer than the A1 stocks but they use the same size rifle receiver extension, when you use an A2 stock you have to use the 5/8" spacer, when you use an A1 stock you don't have to use the spacer.

I understand the length difference, but the stock screw passes thru the spacer and screws directly into the receiver extension snugging the stock against the receiver, there are no threads inside the spacer, so what's the point of filling the gap created by the longer stock?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand the length difference, but the stock screw passes thru the spacer and screws directly into the receiver extension snugging the stock against the receiver, there are no threads inside the spacer, so what's the point of filling the gap created by the longer stock?

Anybody?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an aluminum spacer, but it just doesn't seem long enough, and I already attempted to install the stock once, I tightened it down as much as possible but stripped the shit out of the screw in the process, and the stock was flush against the back of the receiver but it wiggled a little bit (rotated) as well as the spacer rattling around.  So i am waiting for another screw, and I am going to put a little electrical tape around the lug on the front of the stock where it fits into the receiver to prevent the rotational wiiggle, and try to use a better screw driver to avoid stripping it again.

I agree with you...........something is amiss..........a washer or two superglued to the the top of the spacer might help to take up the slack.............also, I saw were DPMS or somebody was making the screws to take an allen head wrench instead of the standard slot type arrangement..........then you could put an allen head adapter on a 3/8 ratchett wrench and really tighten the MF'r down...........

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you...........something is amiss..........a washer or two superglued to the the top of the spacer might help to take up the slack.............also, I saw were DPMS or somebody was making the screws to take an allen head wrench instead of the standard slot type arrangement..........then you could put an allen head adapter on a 3/8 ratchett wrench and really tighten the MF'r down...........

Now that's what I need, who makes it?

I still don't understand the purpose of the spacer.  The only benefit of it that I can see is that it acts as a guide to help line the screw up with the threaded hole in the extension tube, once the screw is tightned it does nothing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#10]
its a 1/4-28 thread bolt. or 1/4 fine thread if you must. conical headed screws in various drives are readily available at good hardware stores, even in stainless.
the spacer is to fill the void. if you  tighten 2 objects that have a void, you cant really tighten them unless they are very thick/rigid. the pieces give and bend and never tighten up.
much ado about nothing. get a new screw,tighten it up, and go shoot.
edt:
realized any other screw will not have hole in it. that hole is so small,that buffer moves so fast, and that buffer is so irregularly shaped, that imo the amount of air vented through the hole  is insignificant,
my pistol ran peachy plugged up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:43:49 AM EDT
[#11]
The hole in the screw is to drain off water in the event the rifle is submerged..........I can't remember who had the allen head butt screws...........I saw them in the last couple of days or so.............as I am looking for a butt stock assembly to finish off a build I am currently working on............
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:05:33 AM EDT
[#12]
One or two wraps with black electrical tape has taken care of any rattles I have had to deal with.

Also check for the rattle with the buffer and and buffer spring out, as that can give a rattle in and of itself.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One or two wraps with black electrical tape has taken care of any rattles I have had to deal with.

Also check for the rattle with the buffer and and buffer spring out, as that can give a rattle in and of itself.

It rattle with the buffer and spring out.

So you wrap tape around the outside of the spacer?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

One wrap around the seam between the spacer and receiver extension. Also, another wrap around the spacer towards the top with about 1/4" of tape folding over in to the spacer ledge by the screw hole.

Will be a slight friction fit when you slide the stock on but it will solve the rattle and tighten up nicely once screwed down.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One wrap around the seam between the spacer and receiver extension. Also, another wrap around the spacer towards the top with about 1/4" of tape folding over in to the spacer ledge by the screw hole.

Will be a slight friction fit when you slide the stock on but it will solve the rattle and tighten up nicely once screwed down.

I see, good idea, thanks.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top