Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2009 3:07:08 PM EDT
Is this called a socom barrel It has 2 cuts under the hand guards and is not narrowed down like the regular m4 barrel . Its 14.5 inch is it as good as the regular m4 barrel or should i trade for an M4 ighter barrel
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the 16" version of Colt's SOCOM barrel, as well as a safe chock full of conventional M4 barrels. There is nothing at all wrong with the SOCOM, aside from a bit more weight. I say keep it if the weight doesn't bother you

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a SOCOM build. I  like to call it my M4A1 mo0del for kicks.
A board member told me it is 4 oz. heavier. I think it is a better barrel than the regular one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:48:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is this called a socom barrel It has 2 cuts under the hand guards and is not narrowed down like the regular m4 barrel . Its 14.5 inch is it as good as the regular m4 barrel or should i trade for an M4 ighter barrel

if you want to sell it let me know
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:52:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 M4 uppers.. one is heavy (M4A1) and one is lighter under the handguard (M4) .. I much prefer the latter...  

I rearely shoot full auto, and I dont see the plus of the extra weight added..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#5]
The Barrel could help with a faster second shot

I ran a A1 Bushmaster 14.7 hbar for several years

I do like a lite barrel on a SHTF AR

I never have liked the M4 barrel at all  

I just couldnt find a 14.5 1/7 twist  LW barrel at the time

So I bought 2 LMT M4 14.5

I would just keep what you got
try it at the range and see if it really matters

its all about YOU
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:18:34 AM EDT
[#6]
The standard M4 profile is light, and will hold up fine to pretty heavy use.

The SOCOM M4A1 profile is a little bit heavier, and takes heat better. If you do much high volume shooting, it will be a bit more consistent with its groups.

Yes, I have both, like both, and can notice the weight difference.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#7]
SOCOMS are heavy. If you can, you should pick up rifles with those configs, side by side to compare them. It's quite a noticeable difference in handling.

I'd keep the lite one, if I were you.

IMHO the M4 is just about perfect, and making good follow-up shots is a function of marksmanship and not bbl weight.

The only thing I prefer more is a government profile mid-length bbl. If you can find one of those for trade, I'd do it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top