Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 12:51:40 PM EDT
I am putting together a simple, lower priced SHTF AR. I have a new, complete RRA lower that will be the foundation.

I am familiar with the well known brands, but not so much the lesser known ones. Wanting to stay as cheap as possible, and focus simply on reliability and bang for the buck.

I have owned and had good luck with all of the following. LMT, Larue, Bushmaster, Stag and Colt. I want to know about other brands and specifically lower cost options. The purpose of the gun is SHTF. I will only shoot it occasionally to maintain proficiency. I dont shoot AR's a lot. Much rather spend time shooting precision bolt rifles. So, it doesnt need to be a tack driver. It will eventually wear an ACOG or Aimpoint, so I want a flat top.

Which complete uppers should I consider? I prefer something in stock as I am ready to put it together now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Reliabilty and cheap I believe when it comes to ARs doesnt go together well.I would say certain parts should not be skipped on but I would go this route you already have the lower.

DPMS lower parts kit $70
BCM telestock assembly$70
BCM Bolt carrier group $140
A1 or A2 upper $150
Bushmaster M4 barrel assembly complete $270

$670 to $700 to build plus the lower you have makes an $850 gun...I think thats the least to be invested in a SHTF rifle your gonna depend on.The only thing I dont like in the DPMS LPK is the skimpy looking hammer.I think Pete at legal transfers has a carbine kit from Stag for the same price.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I just mean lower priced, not cheap.

I have a complete lower. I will be changing the stock to a CTR, possibly a UBR if I run up on one. I will be changing grip to MIAD. I will be getting a TA31F or FG for an optic.

I am just wondering about which complete flat top upper to buy. I am curious about some of the lesser known brands.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if you consider CMMG lesser known or not... They're not as widely known as Colt, RRA, etc.

I have 3 of their uppers personally, and have recommended them to 4 other people who have gotten one each. So, 7 different uppers over the course of multiple months.

One of mine had a blemish on the charging handle. Doesn't cause problems, and CMMG is taking care of it very well.

They all function flawlessly. They run about $600. I got mine at AIM for $500-525 before things got crazy.
I would definitely say they're the best bang for the buck...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't know if you consider CMMG lesser known or not... They're not as widely known as Colt, RRA, etc.

I have 3 of their uppers personally, and have recommended them to 4 other people who have gotten one each. So, 7 different uppers over the course of multiple months.

One of mine had a blemish on the charging handle. Doesn't cause problems, and CMMG is taking care of it very well.

They all function flawlessly. They run about $600. I got mine at AIM for $500-525 before things got crazy.

I would definitely say they're the best bang for the buck...

Thanks, I have not heard anything negative about CMMG and will check them out. Would love to get into an upper for around $600.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Well damn, for around $630 you could have a complete BCM upper.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am putting together a simple, lower priced SHTF AR. I have a new, complete RRA lower that will be the foundation.

I am familiar with the well known brands, but not so much the lesser known ones. Wanting to stay as cheap as possible, and focus simply on reliability and bang for the buck.

I have owned and had good luck with all of the following. LMT, Larue, Bushmaster, Stag and Colt. I want to know about other brands and specifically lower cost options. The purpose of the gun is SHTF. I will only shoot it occasionally to maintain proficiency. I dont shoot AR's a lot. Much rather spend time shooting precision bolt rifles. So, it doesnt need to be a tack driver. It will eventually wear an ACOG or Aimpoint, so I want a flat top.

Which complete uppers should I consider? I prefer something in stock as I am ready to put it together now.

http://pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/107/147
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#8]
RRA 16" flat top middy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This

yep...

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a chart that I like to refer to from time to time.  There are some manufacturers that I consider very good that arent even listed, but it's nice to reference it when looking at a build.  It is non-biased since it is only listing facts.  

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This

yep...

+1

Why go with a less known brand for a SHTF rifle.  Go with a reliable upper.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:09:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This

yep...

+1

Why go with a less known brand for a SHTF rifle.  Go with a reliable upper.

And again
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:22:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

SHTF  YOUR LIFE AND FAMILY  ??

I would stick with what you already know !! LMT/Larue/Noveske/colt/BCM

NOW at the range Ive seen some VERY ACCURATE DPMS Carbines
One guy that was shooting a DPMS carbine .  And was driveing that JAMES BOND type car  Name escapes me now
But the dude had money

He was shooting at the 100Y with irons groups pretty tight with WIN 223rem 55rg ball
and it ran fine while I was there

I still wouldnt buy one to use for SHTF

also If I bought a cheap upper I would use a good carrier/bolt
and test 1000rds

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:53:09 AM EDT
[#15]
You can get a basic Flat top from Del-ton for $395:

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Barrel_Assembly_p/dt1015.htm

I don't have that one but my upper parts came from them and it has run fine so far; and from what I have read on here they seem to be a good product. Now mine is a play/yote gun - for a defense gun I'm not sure I would go that way - but it is an option.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:54:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I picked up a del-ton upper receiver for $90 from JSEsurplus (with door and forward assist installed).

Build your own and don't skimp on the barrel or the bolt carrier assembly and it will work out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:06:55 AM EDT
[#17]
There are so many people on here that don't like DPMS but then I meet so many people that have served in LE or some other fashion of carrying a duty rifle and swear by DPMS, I have a gun smith down the road that will only buy DPMS rifles because for the value he says you cant get a better rifle. Now this is just the opinions of others but I also have a DPMS 6.8SPC that is a fine rifle that I would grab just as fast as my 6920 if I were to need one in a hurry. So to say DPMS is a low quality rifle is just inaccurate information no matter were it ranks on the mil-spec chart for you Spec heads that will probably get out shoot by a DPMS one day. JMHO

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top