Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2009 1:34:54 PM EDT
Hey folks. It's been a very long time since venturing into AR discussion! But anyway, I have a line on both an RRA and a Stag LPK for roughly the same price. The RRA is a tad bit cheaper. It's been awhile since I read up on either of these. Is one considered better than the other? If so, why? Thanks in advanced!

-Couch-Commando
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have bought and used a couple of each.  Both are of comparable good quality.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used both and like both. That said, all things being equal I think I'd favor the Stag (CMT) kit if given a choice. I have nothing against RRA's LPKs, but I have had several with minor (minor!) problems (bolt catches and takedown pins out of spec for example). I have yet to come across an out of spec part from a CMT kit-even though many of the RRA parts are undoubtedly sourced from CMT.

In the interest of full disclosure though, I have built far more lowers with RRA LPKs than CMT LPKs. It could very well be that the law of averages hasn't caught up to me yet

Either way you're a winner-build with confidence
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had better luck with parts from CMT than the RRA. On one of my RRA kits I had to do some minor fitting of the safety selector which had a huge dent in it. One RRA trigger that I got was real bad and would not reset until after I polished it. I haven't had any problems with CMT kits though. I dont think either one is better than the other but those are just my experiences. I would buy either.....which ever was cheaper. Both are great quality.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, if that's the case, I'll probably go with the RRA. The RRA LPK is from a reputable site sponsor while the Stag is from gunbroker.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#5]
So, I'm curious, where would I buy the punches and stuff that I would need to build it?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard alot of positive feedback about RRA LPKs.  STAG's are my favorite I've build, I've build on:

3 Stag
3 Doublestar
3 DPMS

I like them in this order. I think you GTG with either

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I've build a couple with bushmaster kits.  Triggers a horrible.   I went with a stag kit this time and its the best standard trigger I have felt.  No need to work or upgrade.  Maybe i got lucky, but next one will be Stag.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So, I'm curious, where would I buy the punches and stuff that I would need to build it?

Brownells.com has them.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#9]
You don't need any special punches.  A regular set of punches works just fine.  Cover the receiver and the punches in tape, so as to avoid scratching anything.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You don't need any special punches.  A regular set of punches works just fine.  Cover the receiver and the punches in tape, so as to avoid scratching anything.

+1
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool. I called too late to order the RRA today but will get to it tomorrow. Would a store like home depot or lowes have the punches I need?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cool. I called too late to order the RRA today but will get to it tomorrow. Would a store like home depot or lowes have the punches I need?

Sears carries standard pin punches. The roll pin punches with the little "nub" on the end are nice but not necessary.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Adco has RRA LPK's in stock. I just ordered one.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Adco has RRA LPK's in stock. I just ordered one.

Thanks for the tip man! Just ordered one from Adco.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I looked on ADCO earlier and they did not have them listed. Jumped on to look around again and I didn't believe my eyes at first. Glad to see the panic is subsiding and parts are showing up again. Now I get to try to put the lower together. Should be fun.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#16]
aren't they made by the same machine co.?  stag makes rra lowers.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#17]
For some reason I find that unlikely. Hasn't RRA been around a lot longer?
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:51:32 AM EDT
[#18]
CMT/Stag makes RRA lowers, according this stickied thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=318113

That being said, I don't know if they also make RRA's LPK's.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:11:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I use both RRA and CMT. I think they are both good to go. They are not the same though as RRA comes with a "notched" hammer and CMT comes with a "no notch" hammer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I got my RRA kit from ADCO today. Just installed it as well. It was my first time lol. Went pretty smooth. I had a tiny bit of trouble with the front detent but nothing major. Parts fit great, everything is kind of tight right now, but I'm sure they will work in. I just need a stock and I will be able to finish it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Lucky. I fucked up my trigger pin.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Lucky. I fucked up my trigger pin.

During installation?

How did you manage that?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#23]
It doesn't matter if it's possible or not. I'll manage to mess it up.
I'm not sure what's wrong. the pin goes through the trigger and disconnector, and through the lower, but it won't go through all three. I greased it all up and everything. I don't understand it.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Stag LPK's seem to have a better trigger than that of the RRA LPK's in my experience....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:50:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It doesn't matter if it's possible or not. I'll manage to mess it up. I'm not sure what's wrong. the pin goes through the trigger and disconnector, and through the lower, but it won't go through all three. I greased it all up and everything. I don't understand it.

It can be a pain.  I found that out the other day when assembling my first lower.  Keep at it, and it will go all the way through.

(Or did you physically mess up the pin itself?)
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:06:21 AM EDT
[#26]
If the pin doesn't want to go in, get a hammer. That'll show it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:21:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It doesn't matter if it's possible or not. I'll manage to mess it up. I'm not sure what's wrong. the pin goes through the trigger and disconnector, and through the lower, but it won't go through all three. I greased it all up and everything. I don't understand it.

Can you insert the pin through the lower into the trigger from both sides?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:52:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Just take a quick break, and then try again with the trigger pin. It will go. Dont bang on it either, until it is through everything.

I have used both stag and RRA (1 of each) and both triggers are excellent, very crisp. On one of them (think it was the RRA), my bolt catch roll pin got all deformed trying to get it in. Luckily I had another LPK laying around.

(If you have an extra bolt catch roll pin that you want to part with for cheap/postage, PM me!)
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#29]
My trigger pin was hard to go in as well but it went. It was very tight in my lower. I tapped it lightly and it went in fine. I was using a small teflon hammer from sears.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Today I'm going to ace hardware to get a more suitable punch and a rubber mallet instead of the hammer I was using. The first time going in, it took a bit of force but it went in fairly easily. But then I had to undo it because I used the wrong spring for the disconnector. So once I got the correct spring in there, I couldn't get the pin to move any farther in, so now I'm stuck.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, I used the pin I was using for the hammer in for the pin, and it went in fine. However, the other pin is a goner. I need a new one before I finish this thing up.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, I got a new pin from my local gunsmith and it fit in perfectly. I don't know what was wrong with the first ones. But I got it working now!

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Maybe it was a tad bit out of spec?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top