BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2009 6:17:02 PM EDT
While doing a little weak-side shooting today (I should do so much more frequently), I started thinking about IWQ last summer. We ran across a Soldier who couldn't zero, and eventually someone noticed she was cross-dominant (how come they didn't catch that in Basic?). I decided to play around a little bit, and discovered that I absolutely can not contort my body or position my head in such a way that I am using the "wrong" eye. I can't get anywhere close to the rear sight. Can anybody do this? I know I have seen shooters do this, both in movies and in real life. Maybe I just have a big fat head.

EDIT  I have no intention of shooting this way. I am just trying to figure out how on earth she managed to do so. The closest I can get to aligning the sights, which is not very close at all, is such an awkward position that it would be obvious to even a casual observer that I am doing something wrong. Somebody should have caught this long ago. This may seem like a "who cares?" but this Soldier might have been sent into combat without being able to zero her rifle. If I can understand what she was doing, I may be able to notice and help if I ever run across another.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Right handed and left eye dominant here. I can't even begin to shoot right handed unless I close my left eye.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Right handed and left eye dominant here. I can't even begin to shoot right handed unless I close my left eye.

What I'm asking is, whether it is physically possible to hold the rifle in the RIGHT hand, and look through the sights with the LEFT eye, or vice-versa. I have seen it done, but am completely unable to replicate it myself.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I'm asking is, whether it is physically possible to hold the rifle in the RIGHT hand, and look through the sights with the LEFT eye, or vice-versa. I have seen it done, but am completely unable to replicate it myself.

Gotcha. From my experience I can't do it either. I would LOVE to do that rather than shoot lefty but alas I cannot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would only try this with a low recoil weapon. If you try this with a deer rifle or a 12ga shotgun, you will quite possibly break your nose.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would only try this with a low recoil weapon. If you try this with a deer rifle or a 12ga shotgun, you will quite possibly break your nose.

I have no intention of shooting this way. I am just trying to figure out how on earth she managed to do so. The closest I can get to aligning the sights, which is not very close at all, is such an awkward position that it would be obvious to even a casual observer that I am doing something wrong. Somebody should have caught this long ago.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL. faceplant your nose bridge onto your stock, then look out of the corner of your left eye through the rear sight.

sorry, I'm laughing at the mental picture. yeah, it would look terribly funky.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Only way I can is with optics.....anyone ever heard of raised sights? Might give enough clearance with a spacer to raise the sights. Never seen it but sure someone has an answer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am right handed and left eye dominant and when I first started shooting (eight years old or so) I would shoot with the gun in right shoulder and right eye closed (I cant keep my right eye open while close my left eye at all); I didnt know any better. And I did it quite accurately. It wasnt until a couple years later that my dad noticed it and put the gun in my left shoulder. Looking back on it, I dont understand how I did it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I still shoot right-eyed, though.

That's crazy...
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I am technically left-eye dominant but I can focus and aim both-eyes-open while firing righty.  I didn't find out about it till I took a safety class.  It hasn't bothered me at all.  As for shooting lefty, its like watching a monkey trying to get it on with a football.  Its really a sad sight.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I actually tried this the last time I was at the range. Holding with left hand trying to look with my right eye (right eye dominant). I could not for the life of me do it. Felt like my body went retarded when I tried to make myself do it lol. Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm cross-dominant.  Right-hand, left-eye.  I can't manage to shoot a rifle right-handed with my left-eye, it just doesn't work.  Maybe she had a smaller head or was a better contortionist.  

I'm too uncoordinated with the left hand to shoot from the left shoulder, so I just have to make do right-handed, right-eyed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#13]
my 7yr old grandaughter is also let eye dominent.what do you think would help,shooting left handed or is there a trick to teach her to use her right eye.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Im right handed and left eye dominant.  I shoot a rifle left handed, handgun right handed, and bow and arrow I shoot right handed with sights, and left handed when shooting instictive.  I'm fun to watch sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Ive seen people shoot handgun like that. Not sure about other rifles, but the AR definitely would take a contortionist to shoot crossed up. Dont think it would happen.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 1:36:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Im left eye dominant and shoot right handed. Been doing it that way all along, and see no reason to change. I guess Ive trained my eyes to make up for it, and it doesnt bother me like many left eye dominant right hand people are.

In me its caused my a slight astigmatism to my left eye making it more "powerful" than my right eye, and why its favored over the right. I still have 20/20 vision though.

A good trick to help train your eye is to stick a small piece of scotch tape over your shooting glasses right in the center of your eyes field of view. You will still see around the tape, but your right eye will be forced to do the majority of the work. I used to do it when shooting ATA trap, and it worked pretty well. You can also get prescription shooting glasses that will weaken the strong eye, and help the weak one. I did this eventually in leu of the tape.......
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 1:44:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am right handed and left eye dominant and when I first started shooting (eight years old or so) I would shoot with the gun in right shoulder and right eye closed (I cant keep my right eye open while close my left eye at all); I didnt know any better. And I did it quite accurately. It wasnt until a couple years later that my dad noticed it and put the gun in my left shoulder. Looking back on it, I dont understand how I did it.

+1

I have seen children and small stature first time shooters do this. I'm willing to bet that the woman's neck size along with her facial size and features allowed her to get head down and over enough that it didn't really look "wrong". Men People with a burly neck and melon head can't do it.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:08:38 AM EDT
[#18]
The doc says Im right eye dominate but I have a issue where they don't quite line up like they should. I cant use microscopes, binoculars, or things of that nature without closing one eye.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:11:13 AM EDT
[#19]
yup, it's a head size/shape thing. I handed a rifle to a new shooter who's normally a lefty and we didn't even think about it. So we had her hold it like a righty and she lowered her head to the stock at an angle. It let her look through the sights with her left eye, in fact on one rifle the scope was too HIGH for her to do it. We're going to do some training both ways and see whether she's able to work right/right since she's done NO shooting previously. There's no reason she can't learn it that way if her eyes cooperate. We'll do the same on pistols, but, though it's less of a hassle to be lefty on pistols these days. Most good handguns are available in options that work fine for left handed folks. The main motivation to be trained to shoot right handed primary is to be comfortable with the guns other folks have.

That all said, I train both ways. Left/left and right/right. I've also done some crossed training where I hold the pistol with one hand and use the opposite eye to aim, whether shooting one handed or two. I think any non standard practice like this forces us to get back to basics and focus on sight picture, trigger pull and grip. Paying attention to these things is never bad until they're so automatic and perfect they don't require active attention in any situation. I find I'm much more aware of a less than ideal trigger pull or "fit" issue when shooting with my offhand. Those minor details become a bigger hassle when there's less muscle memory involved.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:53:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I archery hunted for several years and am right handed and right eye dominant.
Try picking up a left handed compound bow, drawing it and sighting it. Talk about an unnatural act !!!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:32:21 AM EDT
[#21]
this made me curious so I experimented.

With my squirrel rifle (scoped .22) I could shoot right-handed/left-eyed pretty easily. With my AR (Flat-top with BUIS) it was impossible to line up the sights unless I held the gun away from my shoulder and placed my head at the very rear of the stock. On an M4, I have NO idea how she was able to do that, MAYBE a weapon with a carry handle might elevate the sight enough.

ETA:
<––––––––- That's the .22 mentioned
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:44:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
my 7yr old grandaughter is also let eye dominent.what do you think would help,shooting left handed or is there a trick to teach her to use her right eye.

You have a couple of options.

#1 Shoot left handed.  If she is ever going to take up shotgun shooting or hunting I think this is the best option.  My older son is cross dominant and I taught him to shoot rifles and shotguns left handed.

#2  Occlude the left eye and shoot right handed.  Just block the vision from the left eye and the right eye will take over.  This can be done several ways.  There are flip down occluders for shooting glasses, you can put a piece of scotch tape on her shooting glasses lens, or a dab of chap stick on the shooting lens to blur the vision works well too.  If the rifle has peep sights you can mount an occluder made from a plastic milk carton on the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:04:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
EDIT  I have no intention of shooting this way. I am just trying to figure out how on earth she managed to do so. .
Probably quite poorly.  Some people are SO hand-dominant that they can't do much beyond using the other hand as a paper weight or club.  It's not usually that bad with eye dominance, but if she's left-eye dominant more than just a little, they probably trained her as if she had no aptitude for shooting (hey, in basic they probably figured "she's a girl, what does she know?").  So they didn't "catch" it in basic because they didn't look for it, and they didn't look because this Soldier is female.  Bad on the Army for that goof.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:58:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
EDIT  I have no intention of shooting this way. I am just trying to figure out how on earth she managed to do so. .
Probably quite poorly.  Some people are SO hand-dominant that they can't do much beyond using the other hand as a paper weight or club.  It's not usually that bad with eye dominance, but if she's left-eye dominant more than just a little, they probably trained her as if she had no aptitude for shooting (hey, in basic they probably figured "she's a girl, what does she know?").  So they didn't "catch" it in basic because they didn't look for it, and they didn't look because this Soldier is female.  Bad on the Army for that goof.

Yes. This took place during IWQ, and she could not even establish a zero. I don't recall now, but I believe it was her third or fourth qual AFTER basic training.

Female Soldiers are my pet peeve. I have met alot of squared away females, who could be even better Soldiers if someone would just TRAIN them, but too often they aren't taken seriously, and given "women's work" like being the platoon SGT's secretary. They get promoted even though they aren't proficient in their MOS, because nobody will train them, and then they aren't respected because they are SSG's but can't back a trailer, for example.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Freaks!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm right handed/left eye dominant and have been shooting with my right eye since very young (over 40) years.....  my dad made me learn to shoot that way as a kid and it's really no problem for me. I can easily shoot left handed too with my dominant eye just as well. I have better trigger control right handed but you can "teach" your eyes to adapt with a little practice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

maybe you're just not Army Strong-enough
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I bet she was smoking hot and the basic training instructor was a horn dog!  That's how she got to stay! :D

Absolutely I am left eye dominant and I shoot right handed.  I can certainly hold my AR and look down the sights with my left eye.,

New
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Absolutely I am left eye dominant and I shoot right handed.  I can certainly hold my AR and look down the sights with my left eye.,

New

Would you be willing to post a few photographs of yourself doing this? I would like to see exactly how you are positioned.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#30]
I can't today but what I do is hold the butt of the rifle lower than normal.  Lay my right cheek on the top of the stock, tilt the head almost horizontally, and then close the right eye and open the left eye.

I look retarded, no doubt, but I can do it.

M
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I suprise people all of the time. I'm naturally left handed, but after 18 yrs. of turning wrenches as an auto tech. I use both hands on a regular basis. That said, I have always shot a pistol left handed and rifles right handed. Don't ask me to shiot a rifle left handed. It's just not going to happen.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I have seen it done, but not well.

My father used to video camera that way. Right shoulder, smash his face into camera, look with left eye. When he'd smash his face into the camera, his glasses would hang really far off the left side of his face. It was pretty silly when you looked at him.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. This took place during IWQ, and she could not even establish a zero. I don't recall now, but I believe it was her third or fourth qual AFTER basic training.

Female Soldiers are my pet peeve. I have met alot of squared away females, who could be even better Soldiers if someone would just TRAIN them, but too often they aren't taken seriously, and given "women's work" like being the platoon SGT's secretary. They get promoted even though they aren't proficient in their MOS, because nobody will train them, and then they aren't respected because they are SSG's but can't back a trailer, for example.
That sort of thing burns me up too.  The Army fails these Soldiers, then gets into trouble for how women are treated-systematically-and the brass can't see what's going on.

I knew a female SSG who was extremely sharp, very well squared away, and extremely proficient in her MOS.  She got a really nice assignment to teach commo maintenance with the Air Force, and she was great to work with.  I had female Army students who were obviously on that same track-smart and qualified-but they were extremely few and far between.  In fact, ALL my female Army students were that way, which probably reflects the level of qualification they had to demonstrate before they could get the special training courses I taught.

Slightly on-topic: one of these female students was left handed, but I only noticed it after quite a while.  Her handwriting was superb-not girlie, not scribbled, but rather remarkably clear and neat.  She wrote upright rather than the upside-down backwards way so many lefties write.  I asked her how she learned to write so well, left-handed, and she said that the nuns taught her; they said that if she was going to write with that hand, she was going to write properly.  Learning to write legibly is something most RIGHT HANDED people don't get down really well.  This shows, I think, that with decent training, anyone can overcome "being different" with handedness or eye dominance.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's crazy...

same here I shoot right handed and use my right eye. though I am left eye  dominant.   it can be over come.  I just slightly squint my left eye enough so that it makes my right eye take over.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Neither my right eye nor my left eye is dominant.  I have two support hands––none of this "strong" and "support" hand crap.

Shooting an AR, I keep both eyes open.  Shooting a .375 H&H, I keep both eyes closed.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh, yeah: for Shawnmt6601: I learned how to shoot in Kentucky.  Fact.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Its not something you can make yourself do.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm blind in my right eye.  For that reason I never even picked up a rifle until about four years ago.  Using my right hand has always felt more natural for working the trigger, and since I can move a handgun to line up with my left eye I have no problem shooting right handed and using my left eye.  Like you have indicted that is a much different proposition using a rifle.  I cannot get my left eye over the barrel to look through the iron sights.  It's just not possible.  I have learned to shoot a rifle reasonably well left handed, but I still have the dilemma of shooting off hand should the need ever arise.  This would only be an issue in actual combat or training scenarios, but I'm looking forward to doing some carbine classes in the future.  The best I have been able to manage is with a good red dot.  With an Aimpoint I can at least get my left eye over the stock and lined up enough to see the red dot and make a shot.  It's an awkward position but it can be done.  Without the red dot –– forget it.

Ed
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's crazy...

This.  I am cross dom, but REFUSE to shoot like a girly southpaw.  I'll take a half MOA loss of accuracy rather than look like a god-forsaken lefty...
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's crazy...

This.  I am cross dom, but REFUSE to shoot like a girly southpaw.  I'll take a half MOA loss of accuracy rather than look like a god-forsaken lefty...

"Girly"?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Girlie southpaw.  You're kidding right?

Its pretty simple.  If you are right eye dominant, you hold the gun to your right shoulder.  If you're left eye dominant, you hold it to your left shoulder.  PERIOD.  

Well, not really.  If you've got years of experience shooting with your weak eye, well then you've learned to compensate.

But the right way to learn is with the gun on the dominant eye's shoulder.

Don

p.s.  This applies to rifles and even more so to shotguns.  Since shotguns really need to be shot with both eyes open.  However, it does not apply to handguns.  One of the best shots I've ever seen, a guy named Brent Perucker, previously of S&W, shot left handed, with his gun aligned with his right eye.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

#1 Shoot left handed.  If she is ever going to take up shotgun shooting or hunting I think this is the best option.  My older son is cross dominant and I taught him to shoot rifles and shotguns left handed.

#2  Occlude the left eye and shoot right handed.  Just block the vision from the left eye and the right eye will take over.  This can be done several ways.  There are flip down occluders for shooting glasses, you can put a piece of scotch tape on her shooting glasses lens, or a dab of chap stick on the shooting lens to blur the vision works well too.  If the rifle has peep sights you can mount an occluder made from a plastic milk carton on the rifle.

#3 Sharp stick in the eye

(Just kidding) #1 works for me - funny part is that my brother is exactly opposite, left handed - right eye dominant - not sure how he shoots though.

-Texan
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:21:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Left handed and right eye dominant here.  I shoot right handed normally.  I CAN shoot pistol and rifle pretty well left handed but not shotgun.  ( As in bird/skeet shotgunning)

This got me into a bit of trouble in Basic.  When asked who was left handed I naturally raised my hand.  First time we did dry fire practice I got yelled at for shouldering the rifle right handed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:05:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm cross-dominant.  Right-hand, left-eye.  I can't manage to shoot a rifle right-handed with my left-eye, it just doesn't work.  Maybe she had a smaller head or was a better contortionist.  

I'm too uncoordinated with the left hand to shoot from the left shoulder, so I just have to make do right-handed, right-eyed.

"Cross dominant"? Isn't that the way they shoot in California?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:21:17 AM EDT
[#46]
My best saw and 50 gunners were female, But I ensured they were trained to do there jobs and I held junior NCOs accountable I was in a field MP unit we didnt have time to play silly games so if they couldnt cut it we got rid of them
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:31:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My best saw and 50 gunners were female, But I ensured they were trained to do there jobs and I held junior NCOs accountable I was in a field MP unit we didnt have time to play silly games so if they couldnt cut it we got rid of them

I am in transportation, and we had females begging to be gunners, but they generally were refused, because, you know, that's really a man's job. On the rare occasion a female was allowed to qualify on a SAW or M2, they usually did better with those than with the M16, due to short-stature/length-of-pull issues.

My experience with females is that yeah, there are some slackers, but most of the time, if you give them even the slightest benefit of the doubt, they will give way more effort than any two males. If, in the end, they can't meet the standard, then that's just too bad, but I think they deserve some respect for determination alone.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:33:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Cross dominant"? Isn't that the way they shoot in California?

Uh....NO. You're thinking about limp wristing.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:17:57 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm right handed/left eye.  I have no problem sighting with both eyes open with either my Aimpoint M4 or my ACOG (afterall that's what they're designed for).  I am trying to practice shooting left and right with rifle, because I feel it's just a good thing to be able to do.  What if you lose function of your right hand when SHTF?  It's also a good idea to be able to shoot ambi b/c situations won't always present you with a left-protect obstacle, and shooting righty while peeking out from a right-side obstacle will expose a lot of your torso.  I shoot pistol righty, but have to move the gun under my left eye.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:06:43 AM EDT
[#50]
So I have never even thought about this untill I read this thread.   I am right Handed and lefteye dominant.  I shoot right shoulder left eye.  I have never had any issue getting my head where it needs to be on any manner of rifles.  I have been shooting this way since I was a little kid.  Irons, red dots, or scopes, never had an issue.   I qualified as Marksmen with an AR15 and Expert with a garand in the CMP program.  I am decent with a pistol out to about 20 yards.

I am 6' tall 200lbs.  Next time I shoot I will see If I can get my right eye in the game, but If it aint broke dont fix it right?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top