Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 4:33:17 PM EDT
I just got a new Mil spec buffer tube in the mail and I'm about to swap out my commerical tube.  Is there anything I need to know about removing the castle nut?  Do I need a special tool for this?  Are there any other "lessons learned" from swapping buffer tubes?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Thanks!  Let's say that I didn't want to wait to order the tool..... is there any other way to remove and re-install it with common tools without messing up the nut or the tube?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
They shouldn't be that tight. So maybe if you wrap something around it to protect it, then use some channel lock pliers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#4]
If youv'e never removed one before, don't forget to keep some pressure on the back plate with your fingers to keep that little spring from flying out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks!  Let's say that I didn't want to wait to order the tool..... is there any other way to remove and re-install it with common tools without messing up the nut or the tube?

Buy the correct tool or your next post will be

"where can I buy a new castle nut?"
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Man I went through two dedicated RRA stock wrenches before I was told to heat it up to melt the lock tight that was on my RRA Carbine.  Dude please take my advise it is not worth the trouble do not do it, I ruined my castle nut luckily I had a spare nut and tube becouse I fucked them both up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a punch and a hammer.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top