Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2009 2:43:20 PM EDT
I have a stag build.  It's a 16 inch carbine legnth, M4 barrel standard upper.  The only mod up to this has been a smith vortex FH. I decided to try a heavier buffer for the reasons I've read here, lighten up the recoil for faster follow up shots and less wear on the bcg.  Anyhow, after installing the heavier buffer, I now get that "spoooiiing" noise from the buffer tube after each shot.  It's not aggrivating or anything, I was just curious if there are any negatives from this?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#1]
It's normal.  If it bothers you, you can grease the spring, but some will say not to do this.  I don't really see what it hurts so I do it to avoid the 'sproing' noise.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Normal...
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Fill the buffer tube with grease.  Let me know how it goes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Appreciate the replies.  Another question, is it a good idea to replace the stock buffer spring with say a wolff extra power spring when switching to a heavier buffer?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]
What, no love for the classic "SPROING" noise?

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What, no love for the classic "SPROING" noise?

No kidding!  That's the sound of FREEDOM!!!

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you trying to say it DIDN'T make the "sprooing" sound UNTIL you added an H-buffer??
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Embrace the Spprroooiinnngggg!
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Normal...

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#10]
That "sproong" is like the sound that special someone makes when you that them to "the special place".

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are you trying to say it DIDN'T make the "sprooing" sound UNTIL you added an H-buffer??

This.  If it did make the sprooing noise before the H buffer, it wasn't as noticable.  I don't mind it at all, and have seen threads on it here a few times in the passed.  Actually, I like how it fails to make the sprooing when the bolt gets caught back and lets me know my mag is empty.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I only notice it in a standard rifle buttstock.  I don't notice it in my carbines.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#14]
from the title of the thread, I thought maybe your buffer had diarrhea
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#15]
That was funny
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I only notice it in a standard rifle buttstock.  I don't notice it in my carbines.

Same here.

Don't notice it on my Stag 16" M4gery with an H buffer. It's there on my A2 stocked 20" Bushmaster though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Also seems like I had an A2 stock on one rifle that was foam-filled and I never heard it.  Mine all have hollow A1 stocks now and it's definitely there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#18]
SSproooinnnnggggg....Sounds like the screen door at your grandmothers house....
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Never heard it on either of my carbines...
I do hear the obnoxious sound of my AAC blackout, it's a friggin' tuning fork.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#20]
My CavArms lower makes a nice "sproingchunk" sound that i really like. It sounds like..............victory.

Sorry. Flashback.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#21]
If you pack the buffer tube full of grease, you will not get the "sprooiing" noise.
It's an old GI trick to get rid of the annoying noise and lube your rifle as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you pack the buffer tube full of grease, you will not get the "sprooiing" noise.
It's an old GI trick to get rid of the annoying noise and lube your rifle as well as lock up your rifle.

Fixed.

OP please post pics if you take this advise. Although, you do say you rifle is sharting (poooing)

A previous poster mentioned CLP. Really this is the only real solution, and it really isn't much a help at that. It will quiet the scratching slightly.

The problem with getting alot of lube on the spring is that the shooting residues are going to stick, an it adds quite a bit of time to your cleaning regimine to spin that stupid spring around with a patch around a coil from top to bottom.

Embrace the Sproing - now if your rifle is Sharting something needs to be done ASAP.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:56:51 PM EDT
[#23]
The sproing is festive
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#24]
To really experience "Sproing," get a H2 buffer (two tungsten weights instead of one in the H buffer). I have a "H5" buffer, and it's really silly to feel/hear when the ammo has the power to actually overcome it.

All you are hearing is the lengthened duration of the cycle due to increased weight and inertia slowing it alll dddoooooowwwwwnnnnnn......

The buffer spring tells the tale like a guitar string (gently weeping).
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:08:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I never noticed on my cav arms lower, but on my friends Oly factory build with an a2 it was definitely annoying as crap
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:38:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Some have claimed the flat wire springs help lessen the sound. I don't have any first hand knowledge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:55:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Embrace the Spprroooiinnngggg!

THIS
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#28]
on one of mine it dosn`t got sproing, it goes KOOTOOSCHHHHIINNNGGG! I think I need a differnt spring
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Take out your earplugs and shoot it.
I doubt you'll even notice it past the first or second shot once
the ringing in your ears begins...

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

KyARGuy

You might be onto something there. Well, not really, but you did give me an idea.

I wonder if the OP is wearing muffs that are touching the stock, therby transmitting sound directly from the "sproing" to his ears.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Try an ACE stock. The foam wrap dampens the noise slightly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The sproing is festive

LOL ...... best answer ....... LOL
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

KyARGuy

You might be onto something there. Well, not really, but you did give me an idea.

I wonder if the OP is wearing muffs that are touching the stock, therby transmitting sound directly from the "sproing" to his ears.  

Yes, I can only hear it when my ears muffs are touching the buttstock.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Muffs touching the stock are like a stethescope!  Earmuffs, that is (to head off the ineveitable jokes from the ARF jokers and amateur gynecologists).

RatSass
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:20:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

KyARGuy

Yes, I can only hear it when my ears muffs are touching the buttstock.

Get you a set of Peltor H6A muffs.

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-H6A-Optime-Reduction-Earmuff/dp/B0017YGE8A/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1238422523&sr=8-2

$11.46 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25 at Amazon.

What I do wtih mine is flip them upside down so the really narrow part makes room for the stock and a good cheek weld and you don't get that noise pass through.

I don't know if this makes sense, but when you get them it should be easy to see. You just snap them off, spin the top for bottom, and click them back on. The writing will be upside down, but who cares, it works, and works well at that. These are by far the best muffs i've found, and they are comfortable to boot. Can't beat the price.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top