Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2008 9:07:05 AM EDT
I'm looking for a Flash Hider and/or Comp that will allow me to shoot at night (moonlight) without seeing the flash in my scope  and, if I can get it, one that'll give me as much compensation as possible.  The flash, though, is my primary concern.  I need this for the nightime hog hunting and eradication I do. With my other rifles, when I pull the trigger at night, the target disappears in the muzzle flash; and this makes it impossible to watch the hit or see which way the hog runs- if he runs. :) So, I either have to have a spotter along or I have to spend extra time figuring out which way they ran.

I'd like a compensator to help me re-acquire a target more quickly or get on a secondary target (aka Hog) more quickly; but the flash is my primary concern.  Now, if there's a good comp that directs the flash in such a way that it won't be visible in the scope- that'd be fine with me.  In fact, that'd probably be my ideal unit because it'd give me both advantages that I'm looking for!

I know that the conventional wisdom is to look for either a comp or a hider- not both. But, since I'm not looking for one for combat or for competition, I thought y'all might be able to recommend something that will serve both purposes, for my use. I was looking at the AAC Blackout but I can't seem to find anyone that sells it and the company's website sux- it isn't all working.  Any advice on where I could buy one of them?

Thanks to those that offer up some help/advice!

Nick
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#1]
vortex

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products06.html

no comp will work  and the votex is the best thing going in my opion
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 Vortex
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Vortex, then the Phantom if you want something less prone to "snagging".
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Suppressor.

Smith Enterprises Vortex is the best FH for reducing muzzle flash. Period. There are lookalikes out there, just FYI.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#5]
FSC556 compensator.

Using M193 and M855 I saw NO bloom in my FOV using A2 iron sights on a pitch black night. The most I got was a hot speck or 2 of gunpowder that would flick across the FOV every 5th round or so. With an optic  limiting FOV up close, it would be even less visible. There was a faint glow the size of a softball, looked like the cooler flames you see in a wood fireplace when the wood is almost burned down (orange and without much "substance") when I fired it into the ground while observing the muzzle. THis was on a 20" AR. It is also a pretty good comp and is no louder from the shooter's perspective than an A2 hider (measured 1.5db louder at shooter).
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
FSC556 compensator.

Using M193 and M855 I saw NO bloom in my FOV using A2 iron sights on a pitch black night. The most I got was a hot speck or 2 of gunpowder that would flick across the FOV every 5th round or so. With an optic  limiting FOV up close, it would be even less visible. There was a faint glow the size of a softball, looked like the cooler flames you see in a wood fireplace when the wood is almost burned down (orange and without much "substance") when I fired it into the ground while observing the muzzle. THis was on a 20" AR. It is also a pretty good comp and is no louder from the shooter's perspective than an A2 hider (measured 1.5db louder at shooter).

This is what I use, and partially for this reason.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Vortex. There's a video floating around the internet somewhere of an M14 being shot at nigh with a GI flash hider, no flash hider, and a Smith Vortex. The video may be on Smith's website.

-Dan
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#8]
So aahh, uumm, what are you hunting at night??

Ditto on the Vortex.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Vortex. There's a video floating around the internet somewhere of an M14 being shot at nigh with a GI flash hider, no flash hider, and a Smith Vortex. The video may be on Smith's website.

-Dan

There's some video of it here:

http://www.crazyhorserifles.com/performance.htm
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

-Dan

I believe 20/20 or dateline or one of those shows did a segment on Smith Enterprises and it was pretty much entirely on the Vortex and military applications.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I've done quite a bit of testing with flash suppressors at night, using a video camera.

Vortex is an excellent choice.

I have only tested the AAC on a 6.5mm Grendel. So not an apples to apples comparison.
However, using AA's 123 grain Scenar load there was almost zero flash with the AAC.

Neither the Vortex or the AAC will emit enough flash to cause you to lose your target.

Hope this helps...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#12]
the problem is most of the posters are ignoring your need for compensation as well, the votrtex has none.

ths PWS FSC556 is a comp as well as a flash hider. isnt too bright at night and is a very good comp
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Hunting wild hogs mainly but also Coyotes and bobcats and the occasional free-ranging exotic. I thought I made the hog hunting clear in my original post.  Thank God I live in Texas where we have year-round hunting opportunities and where night hunting, by any means, is allowed for "pest" animals (like hogs & exotics) and predators! :)  It's a AR-15 paradise!  LOL!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:00:04 AM EDT
[#14]
The best flash reduction will be a Blackout or Vortex.  Just call AAC on the phone and you will have a Blackout ordered in 5 minutes.  Who cares if the website sucks?

PWS FSC556... great but if you already have too much flash from an A2 flash hider this is not the answer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:01:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Vortex, then the Phantom if you want something less prone to "snagging".

Snagging is that imaginary thing that happens to the mall ninjas who repel in on fast ropes to catch shop lifters right?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Ops Inc has a comp with a screw on FH... anyone want to comment on them?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#17]
...He said right in his post that he was hunting hogs. Did you read the post?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:07:57 AM EDT
[#19]
For pure flash suppression, I have not found anything better than BEM...
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The best flash reduction will be a Blackout or Vortex.  Just call AAC on the phone and you will have a Blackout ordered in 5 minutes.  Who cares if the website sucks?

What I meant about the website is that I couldn't find an email address anywhere to ask pre-purchase questions.  Because of work i have trouble getting time to call them so I wanted to email them; and they're the first site I couldn't find an email address for pre-sales questions. THAT's why I made the comment about their website and THATS why I "cared."

Quoted:
Ops Inc has a comp with a screw on FH... anyone want to comment on them?

I looked at the Ops-Inc website and I don't see one that supresses flash.  Can you give me a link to the one you're talking about?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Ill go against the grain here.

I had a Levang Linear Muzzle Brake/Flash Hider. It worked great. I had NV scope on my AR and any other FH/MB would WHITE out the scope after a shot was taken. This was not the case with the Levang. When viewed from the side and shot, you would see a couple lil sparks shot out, no big flame or flash. Brownells has them.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top