Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 7:08:17 PM EDT
I am going to order, in the near future, a couple of 16-inch midlength uppers from CMMG, and am debating between the government and medium contours.

I am familiar with gov't contours thanks to my Uncle, and all of my personal uppers have been 16-inch HBAR's.  I prefer thicker barrels, although I can't give an intelligent reason.

How does the medium contour compare to the HBAR? Any other comments are appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Two of my four ARs are medium contour.  I HATE them.    Way too heavy.  About to send them to ADCO one of these days.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Two of my four ARs are medium contour.  I HATE them.   .

I feel just the oppisite. I like the balance.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the medium contour as well. I had to warm up to it, however.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Hbars are cool, but medium contour is maybe the best of all worlds.  Got me a
SOCOM M4 CMMG 14.7" and it rules.  Not all that much heavier than the Govt.
M4 profile....about 4-5 oz. IIRC.   The cat's ass for 14.5" to 16" weapons for
sure !
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the government contour best.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:32:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Well since you said you were going to order a couple get one of each. I have two Denny's operator barrels that are mid weight and I don't find them to be heavy. However I have had a HBAR carbine and a HBAR midlength and did not like the weight or balance. I have a few Gov't profile uppers as well and don't see much of a weight difference between them and the midweights.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#7]
There is no reason for HBars to exist unless you're using it for varmint hunting, IMHO.
I like the Govt contour, or lightweight even better.  Haven't tried the medium contour but if it's heavier than the govt contour, it would be a no go for me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#8]
My CMMG "MedCon" is actually a HBAR, in my opinion. It's greater than .750 under the handguards.

Noveske medium contour barrels are good to go...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

I have two CMMG govt middys, a 14.5 anda 16"
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the lightweight contour better. I'm not shooting my 16" barrels out to 400 meters, so stiffer barrels / harmonics don't mean much to me. The lightweight (.625) barrels are easier for me to swing, and seem to me to point better.

Out past 200 meters, and / or shooting off a rest I'd probably prefer a Govt. weight barrel.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I have two CMMG govt middys, a 14.5 anda 16"

+2. I only own 10.3 - 16" but I think the gov't profile is a nice compromis between hbar (I would like to throw these into the river) & light weight profile. I also have a CMMG medcon 10.3 & it's not much heavier than my gov't barrels. The barrel itself is only about 3-4oz heavier but with it being the shortest I own I think it evens out with my longer M4 barrels & associated gear attached. On a fighting carbine I don't see a reason to have a hbar. Very few killers that I know like hbar's. None of these folks have a problem with the medcon profiles either.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There is no reason for HBars to exist unless you're using it for varmint hunting, IMHO.
I like the Govt contour, or lightweight even better.  Haven't tried the medium contour but if it's heavier than the govt contour, it would be a no go for me.

During the AWB, and in some states, a govt profile barrel was considered an "assault weapon", but an HBAR was a "target rifle".  Go figure.

I like the lighter govt profile, too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I went with the gov't profile on a 16" middy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:04:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I also went with the gov't profile on the 16" middy I just got from CMMG.  Feels just right in this size/length weapon.  In fact I chose CMMG over a Del-Ton middy kit 'cause Del-Ton only has the middy in HBAR. I didn't want a 16" rifle that weighed more than a standard 20" A2. Seemed to defeat the purpose. I love the midlength though. Only have about 100 rounds through it but it sure seems slick.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 4:28:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My CMMG "MedCon" is actually a HBAR, in my opinion. It's greater than .750 under the handguards.

Noveske medium contour barrels are good to go...

I had a CMMG MedCon 16 too. It was really a carbine length HBAR with the gas block moved to the mid-length positon. They are .840 or something like that from behind the carbine gas block position.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:46:32 AM EDT
[#16]
A true medium contour barrel should be a straight .750 the whole length.  Why some makers think it should be heavier is beyond me.  Randall had it right, in my opinion, on barrel contours.  LW is .625, and medium is .750.  Bushmaster's super LW is extremely nice if you are going to be carrying around.  I like a 16" midlength .750 barrel for a "precision" carbine.  I'm not talking about a target gun, but a good fairly long range working rifle.  Armalite's carbine is sort of a medium contour, and to me it feels pretty good.  I had an HBAR 16", and it was way too heavy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top