Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 4:10:26 PM EDT
Will piston conversions work on all calibers of rifles?  I am asking b/c I am looking at purchasing 6.8 SPC rifle that is gas operated, because the company just doesn't make a piston operated upper.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
So basically, get the piston system, if you have the extra cash to blow.  Otherwise, get a gas operated rifle and use the extra money to upgrade it, because there's really no benefit to a piston system that offsets the higher cost.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Gas pistons for AR's are the flavor of the year..
But for other rifles, like the FAL, AK etc, it is tried and true.

Time will tell if the AR gas piston conversions will be as dependable.

some, may very well be....

Osprey and others are developing or improving
their systems for various calibres.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Gas pistons for AR's are the flavor of the year..
But for other rifles, like the FAL, AK etc, it is tried and true.

Time will tell if the AR gas piston conversions will be as dependable.

some, may very well be....

I for one really love the theory of a piston-driven AR upper.  But, I have to agree with "bigbore" and others on this one.  Until one absolutley proves itself without costing twice the cost of a normal upper- I'll invest my money on ammo and other odds and ends.  And more ammo.  Gotta have more ammo.

Tex78
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#6]
There is no need for a gas pistion driven AR unless you have some very extreme needs and circumstances surrounding you. The only time I can see even a small benefit is when you are running a SBR, even then, the piston system better be quality made or else it will fail much faster than the standard DI. Ignore the insanity and sick with what is known to work.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been thinking about maybe picking one up also,but I don't know enough about it to justify spending the cash.I'm glad I read this thread though,as it seems the extra cost isn't really worth it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:00:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I too am looking at pistons systems. The benefits in theory are all positive the fact that most can be fitted at home is both good and bad.  Most of the problems that you hear about are from the people that have installed them. I think that if the fit and installation are done properly this is a great tool for the AR. The working parts remain cooler and cleaner, benefit. The cyclic rate of fire drops but the recoil is lessened. Not sure on that one. Would this provide for better accuracy? Depends on the trigger man.
The thing I like about this system is the price is dropping. I think in the future I will own one of the systems for, my percious, for MEEEEEE.
Osprey is coming out this month with a system for 299.00 and can be pre ordered through Talon Arms. What I like about this system is the profile. It looks to be able to fit under rail systems with little or no modification. Still I think I'll wait to see what issuses will be addressed by the self installers before I purchase.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I too am looking at pistons systems. The benefits in theory are all positive the fact that most can be fitted at home is both good and bad.  Most of the problems that you hear about are from the people that have installed them. I think that if the fit and installation are done properly this is a great tool for the AR. The working parts remain cooler and cleaner, benefit. The cyclic rate of fire drops but the recoil is lessened. Not sure on that one. Would this provide for better accuracy? Depends on the trigger man.
The thing I like about this system is the price is dropping. I think in the future I will own one of the systems for, my percious, for MEEEEEE.
Osprey is coming out this month with a system for 299.00 and can be pre ordered through Talon Arms. What I like about this system is the profile. It looks to be able to fit under rail systems with little or no modification. Still I think I'll wait to see what issuses will be addressed by the self installers before I purchase.

correct me if i am wrong but the recoil is increased on a piston driven ar.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Will piston conversions work on all calibers of rifles?  I am asking b/c I am looking at purchasing 6.8 SPC rifle that is gas operated, because the company just doesn't make a piston operated upper.

IMHO the answer is "that depends".
The 6.8 has different gas dynamics than 5.56. I believe the gas piston system must be "tuned" for this difference. Not all GP conversions developed for 5.56 can be tuned.

Anyone know if LMT MRP CQB barrel assemblies in 6.8 are being made?? If so that would be an easy conversion, because of the rapid-change barrel design of the MRP.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top