Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2007 4:13:40 PM EDT
I just ordered a DPMS lower today. Over the coming months I am going to build this thing using mostly DPMS parts. I am building this rifle simply to abuse. This is something that I have been wanting to do for awhile but only now have the money spare for such a project.

I plan to go back to Blackwater sometime early next year and run it through their course. After that I want to see how many rounds this thing can handle and how much abuse it can take before it begins to fail or needs replacement parts.

I chose DPMS because it should be good enough quality for training and plinking without making me feel bad about how much money I spent on it.

I will keep you guys posted and will also post pics of worn parts and round count, etc.

The truth is that I just can't justify abusing my Colt and Bushmaster rifles. Yes that is right, they are "safe queens", I admit it. I know you guys are going to make fun of me now but that is ok I'm prepared for it hehehe.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a difference between Abuse and Use....

BTW OST for when your DPMS comes w/ a tight chamber but it's still stamped 5.56    (assuming you get a DPMS barrel)

W/ that said I've used their LPK's and I never had a problem w/ those.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll be watching this thread with some intrest. I have a couple of DPMS "hobby" rifles. I think that's a good name for them because I don't use them on the job and they really aren't of a whole lot of use for home defence when they are locked in the safe. I've never had any problems that weren't mag related but, then again I don't put the number of rounds through them like some of you guys do. I'd like to see how yours holds up hith some heavy use.

Doc
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:35:04 AM EDT
[#3]
safe queens, huh? some of the people around here like Bushy even less than they like DPMS. I personally like my DPMS product. There are a lot of detractors but...

Colts and FNs arent perfect either...I know, I shoot them at work all the time. You feed them enough blanks, dont lube them right, do anything else wrong, they are fallable.

Khar pistols are usually great, my buddy/fmr TL has one with thousands of rounds and zero malfunctions. mine is back at the factory after less than 100 rounds because the trigger doesnt reset properly.

Some people around here have Bushys with no problems. Some people had bushys with nothing but problems. Blackwater apparently uses a lot of Bushys with, IIRC from what I read a year ago, mixed results.

The only two AR manufacturers Ive seen in action that ive never seen fail my self are DPMS and Guide Lamp Division General Motors (and the last two GM products Ive owned have had enough issues that I will never buy one again, go figure)

Remember that it is one sample of a manufacturer of mechanical devices. Whatever your results may be. But whatever they are, please, do tell.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top