Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2007 3:45:52 PM EDT
I have a couple of Colt Bolts and they have little angled cuts in the bolt body behind each of the locking lugs. What were these cuts intended to do? Thanks.

Mine looks just like this one;

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a couple of Colt Bolts and they have little angled cuts in the bolt body behind each of the locking lugs. What were these cuts intended to do? Thanks.

Mine looks just like this one;

www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/boltcarrier_c_stamping.jpg

I remember a thread about these a few months ago.  The older bolts that were cut on non-CNC milling machines have those cuts because a human can only move the mill in one axis at a time and keep things accurate enough.

Newer bolts cut on CNC mills don't have the cuts because the machine is able to rotate teh bolt at the same time that it moves it across the rear of the lug.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The cuts are to aid reliability in the bolt's ability to cam onto the barrel extension's lugs.
If you look at the inside of the barrel extension, it also has camming surfaces on the leading edge of the lugs.

Randall,
I think he was referring to the little angled machine marks on the body of the bolt, not the camming angles on the lugs themselves.

You basically find them on early Colt bolts. The newer production doesn't have them because of production changes mentioned above.  I recently acquired a milsurp FN bolt assy, and was interested that in the place my early Colt bolts have those little cuts, the FN piece has a tiny dimple; right at the base of where the camming angle is on the lug.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:37:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think he was referring to the little angled machine marks on the body of the bolt, not the camming angles on the lugs themselves.

The angle I SEE in the picture posted above is the tool overrun from the tool that cut the camming angles.
Basically, the smaller diameter lug "root" got hit by the endmill making the chamfer.

www.ar15barrels.com/tech/lug-chamfer.jpg

On LMT bolts, the lug roots are not as prominent and you don't see these marks.
On CMT bolts, there is a little "half moon" cut where the endmill ran-off into the lug root, but they programmed the tool to stop there and did not continue the tool path all the way across the lug root like on the colt bolt pictured above.

Those are the angled cuts I was asking about. Thanks again gents.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:14:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Whoops. My mistake  Well, it's been a screwed up week all around.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top