Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2006 12:53:29 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy either set of standard or electronic hearing protectors, and I was wondering which ones that you have tried work well in general, and second, which allow a good cheek weld while using a standard fixed stock, standard telescoping stock, and a VLTOR stock.

I've noticed that the Peltor Tactical 6's can be had for a decent price, and seem low profile enough.  I'd like a good set that will stand up to me running and diving around at the range, that will protect my ears, and also...work with glasses...and obviously allow me to properly shoot my AR15's.  My old non-electronic cheapie hearing protectors don't work very well with rifle stocks...which is why I've been using plugs so long.

So, while we're on the topic, do all of these hearing protectors still seal up good to your head while wearing sunglasses, such as Oakley half jackets?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
+1 for the Peltors
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I just use the regular molded ear plugs. Works just fine.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Peltor 6's
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#4]
AO safty stow-a-way
got at the local hardware store 9.99
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the $.59 foamies.

I started wearing them after I noticed a constant high pitch ringing and 50% hearing loss (per the military pre seperation physical)
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Pro Ears Dimension 1
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#7]
custom molded ear pro
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Peltor 7's and have never had a problem with them interferring with cheek weld on any rifle. My friend does and uses the 6's.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#9]
The foam plugs stop your ears from ringing, but don't protect against long term hearing loss.  The precussion from gun fire affects the internal structures of the ear.  You should use ear protections that covers the bones surrounding your ear.  At least that's what the doc told me a couple years ago.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Honestly I do one of two things, foamies under  ear covers, or in ear headphones under ear covers.  Nice to listen to my IPOD as I shoot.  Had quite a few people look at me at the range, and then say on a break "that's a damn good idea."

I have used Pro-ears and didn't like them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Best money I ever spent on hearing protection

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/m4gery.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/DSCF0549.jpg

Best money I ever spent on hearing protection

Can't go wrong there. Might cost a bit more but you will have way more fun.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
+1 for the Peltors

+1 if you don't want bulky ones get the Tactical 6s (not sure if that's the model) you can get em on ebay cheap.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:43:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:23:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I have Peltors, Sordins and Pro-Ears as well as custom made Neoprene (not silicone) ear plugs and they all work great. Wanting some sort of hearing protection I could leave in the car, at the shop or wherever else I wanted to have them readily available and since I hate the cheap expandable foam ear plugs I have for some time been looking for an alternative that was inexpensive, compact and lightweight and I believe I have found it...

www.zemzone.com/

...I have not yet used these to any great extent but so far they are very, very promising.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have Peltors, Sordins and Pro-Ears as well as custom made Neoprene (not silicone) ear plugs and they all work great. Wanting some sort of hearing protection I could leave in the car, at the shop or wherever else I wanted to have them readily available and since I hate the cheap expandable foam ear plugs I have for some time been looking for an alternative that was inexpensive, compact and lightweight and I believe I have found it...

www.zemzone.com/

...I have not yet used these to any great extent but so far they are very, very promising.

Tag for range report!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:53:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

www.zemzone.com/

These sound interesting, would like to hear some more actual experience with them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:54:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I use Peltor 6's

These are one of the better ones, they have a curved area in the muffs to help with getting a good cheek weld.  Also they used to sell for well over $100 and if you look around you can get them for under $70 plus they are the electronic kind that amplify noise and then shutoff when a round is fired.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#21]
With the Oakley half jackets I find that I need to wear the foam plugs as well, with most of the slimmer style muffs.  The oakleys have a fairly thick frame and it can create a small opening where the muffs go over.  the slimmer muffs normally have a slimmer foam cover as well.

mr45acp2u
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:56:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Foamies or USGI sonic ear plugs work fine for the 5.56mm. It's not artillary
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I use Bilsom Targo traps with surefire plugs under those, work great!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:21:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#25]
I just buy a big honkin' box of disposible ear plugs. I keep a handful in my shooting bag, some in the car, and generally scatter them about.

They are great for yardwork, garage, shooting, riding my motorcycle, etc.

I have lost a large amount of hearing in my left ear from machinegun fire and high power rifle courtesy of the USMC. I try to protect what I have left no matter what I am doing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#26]
I recently picked up a set of Zem Sensgard for shooting long guns.  Overall, I have to say it does work fairly well.  It certainly was more comfortable then my usual set up of Dillon HP1 + foam plug for a full day at the range.  It was easier to get a good cheek weld with my AR stocks.  However, they were a couple of "cons".  Firstly, it might have worked too well because I find myself having to "unplug" one ear to carry on a conversation.  And secondly, it doesn't stay on my hat as well as I would like.  When I was doing some movement drills, I found that it moves around a bit. YMMV. Do I think it worth the $$?  Maybe....  I would certainly use it for outdoor AR shooting. But I'll stick with my old setup for shooting pistol/IPSC in/outdoors.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top