Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2006 10:49:35 PM EDT
I put a little bit of grease on the receiver threads and screw on the nut.I use the wrench until the nut is snug and stops it lines up with a tooth a half turn from clearing the opening to insert the gas tube..I do this 3 times then use a bit of force for the final half turn to line up the opening with the receiver hole so the tube goes right in.Is this good to do..I use a regular barrel wrench for this.Also can a barrel nut that hasnt been tightened enough but is not loose effect the barrels acuracy when fired?thanks ....Dave
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:02:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you read the tacked threads in the "bulid it yourself" forum in the AR-15 section?

If you have an idea what 31 ft/lbs of torque is then you have an idea what the minimum is. If you are 1/2 slot off aligned when snugged then the next hole lined up is usually enough. If it is real easy to achieve the next alignment slot then you should try to achieve the next slot. 80 ft/lbs (max torque) is quite a bit of force and you don't want to exceed it. I can't think of a good example to give you for min/max torques. Just remember to work it back and forth to get to the slot you intend to use.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I can get it to the next slot..it takes a bit of force to get that last littlr bit.On another carbine I have that I installed its a tack driver.The factory Bushmaster upper that I did last night it wasnt on too tight and was real easy to turn off and its 10 years old..switching to a flat top..thanks for the infoand thats what I figured the first slot that lined up was snug but it still felt I could go one more and it stopped half way..then It took a little force to get it to line up but it did..thanks again...Dave
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#3]
you're good to go
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I hand snug first and then wrench it over to align the hole for the gas tube; sometimes that is half a hole, sometimes it is a full hole, it all depends.
~snap~
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got my CMT upper from PK firearms today..are they nice uppers..fit and finish is excellent.It tourqued perfectly to an open hole the first try..I lossened and tightened 2 more times and it lined up perfect.As I came to a point where it wouldnt turn it was lined right up..what a great upper cant wait to get my removable handle from them on tuesday and then im gonna get a ARMS#38 swan sleeve and put my aimpoint on that set up.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I've installed five barrels, on a few they didnt lined up,had to loosen in order for it to lined up properly.

Never have had any issues with the ones I'd installed.

TG
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I also like to tighten the nut three times.  Tighten and the loosen, repeat, then tighten a final time.  I never saw any difference in accuracy in how much tork is applied to the barrel nut.  As long as you are above 35ft/lb just line up to the next notch.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top