Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2006 11:37:26 PM EDT
How come some of you put the Magpul on sideways?  I mean it's molded so that the loop goes front to back, not side to side.  I'm guessing preference?

Just wondering.

Hardwarz
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#1]
In all honesty, I thought it went side to side.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:34:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How come some of you put the Magpul on sideways? I mean it's molded so that the loop goes front to back, not side to side. I'm guessing preference?

Just wondering.

Hardwarz

Have you visited their website??? www.magpul.com/

Or have you ever looked at the instruction manual?  

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Just for fun, I'd like to see what it would look like front to back.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:53:48 AM EDT
[#4]
deleted
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:57:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Right, loop at the bottom goes front to back, but so many people have it  going side to side.  Here are a couple of examples:

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 1:00:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Right, loop at the bottom goes front to back, but so many people have it  going side to side.  Here are a couple of examples:

www.hunt101.com/img/397737.JPG

img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/d13800d6.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/merifleatBW.jpg

coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/bbadmin-Album-1/Eagle_BCM_006a.sized.jpg

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=40493

So you're saying what exactly? Front to back is how those pictures are, which is WRONG. Side to side is how Magpul shows it. Either you're confusing front to back with side to side, or you're suggesting that Magpul themselves doesn't put their product on correctly. Clarify.

Are you confused, or am I reading your post entirely wrong?

Help me out, before my head explodes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 1:05:46 AM EDT
[#7]
When I ment front to back, I ment the hole for the loop goes front to back.  Yes, I know Magpul has the Magpul on correctly, I'm just wondering why people put it on sideways (as in the pictures I put up from the gallery.)

Hardwarz
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 2:31:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Putting them on in the way not shown in the Magpul documentation allows for mags to fit in more pouches with lids, creates a lower profile and are therefore less snagable. You end up "pinching" the magpuls rather then inserting your finger through the loop on mag changes. Both ways work, some prefer one over the other.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 3:12:33 AM EDT
[#9]
It keeps a lower profile(I cant fit my gloves under loop anyway), offers more(full length) protection to floorplate, larger area to grasp(if your just grabbing loop)... I'll think of a few more. -Justin
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 3:48:02 AM EDT
[#10]
If your rifle isn't a safe queen, and actually gets ridden hard, the reasons become obvious.

The great thing about the original MagPul is it allows you to run the thing either way.

Of course MagPul made the Ranger Plates after they made the original MagPuls, and chose to do them the right way.....    

Okay the other way. Hmmmm, wonder what the reason for that was?

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 3:50:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh yea, I almost forgot. The SWAT dude in black on the MagPul front page.... is our very own USMC03. I wonder how he runs his MagPuls??

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:12:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:14:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you look at the original Magpul manual under "SKD method" you will see the explaination of turning the Magpul 90 degrees and how to use it like this-

Original Magpul Manual PDF

I must have had the old manual because I rmember reading that. Funny thing is that I bought my Magpuls from SKD.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:39:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I run mine fore and aft so that the entire floorplate is covered when the mag release is hit.  I don't have Ranger plates on all of my mags, so that is how I keep the old magpuls.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#15]
What ever happened to some 550 cord and a knot?
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Magpul happened to it
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I run mine fore and aft so that the entire floorplate is covered when the mag release is hit.  I don't have Ranger plates on all of my mags, so that is how I keep the old magpuls.

___

Affirmative.  Further, if you've ever attended a carbine/pistol class, or experimented yourself, shooting prone is more accurate  (with the mag. on the ground) with Magpul installed fore and aft.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#18]
YMMV, but as I have 2 primary SHTF loads now (77grn SMK & 75grn Match HPBT) I use the Mapuls installed the 2 different ways to differentiate between which round the mags are loaded with.

My 77s are loaded w/ tab front/rear and the 75s are loaded as illustrated on Magpul's site (side/side).

Mike

ETA - once ya get older and your eyes go bad, it gets harder to tell these 2 rounds apart by looking at 'em as they are quite similar.....

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Which ever way looks cooler at the range!
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't use anything on my mags....but was thinking about a magnet on the floor plate and another opposite magnet on my glove...

that way I can just wave my hand over my vest and instantly retrieve a mag - Jedi style.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You and your fancy 550 cord - I just use old shoelaces.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Full length protection for floorplate
More stable for resting mag while shooting prone

...also,  my prefered off-hand position is left hand under the magazine, especially with ten-rounder for an AR10 when hunting.  Just how I am most stable.   Smooths out the sharp corners and keeps the palm of my hand from getting 'bit' by the magazine.

That's why I use them with the loop running front to back.  I have to trim about 3/8 inch off of the main loop of the magpul for a ten-round magazine when I get it completely snug (ie. no finger loop at all, it's flush with the mag azine bottom front to back) so the magazine will go far enough into the mag welll to engage
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#24]
The two main reasons for running the Magpul front to back on the mag is to protect the bottom of the mag (corners of the magazine and the floor plate) when conducting combat reloads on concrete / asphault (a combat reload is when you depress the mag release and let the magazine drop to the ground while accessing another magazine).

The second reason is I use double M4 mag pouches and the long side of the magazine is flat against my body.  When accessing a mag from the mag pouch in this manner, it is easier if the Magpul is installed front to rear instead of side to side.

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Personally, I use Ranger Plates on my mags and MagPuls on my 2 HK Maritime mags.  I wonder if they'll ever make Ranger Plates for HK mags.

I've tested the MagPul with the hole front to back on my HK mag and everything is good to go.  With the loop all the way down, it has enough of a crush zone that there hasn't been a problem.  The 2 HK mags I have are the SHTF mags.

Hardwarz
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
YMMV, but as I have 2 primary SHTF loads now (77grn SMK & 75grn Match HPBT) I use the Mapuls installed the 2 different ways to differentiate between which round the mags are loaded with.

My 77s are loaded w/ tab front/rear and the 75s are loaded as illustrated on Magpul's site (side/side).

Mike

ETA - once ya get older and your eyes go bad, it gets harder to tell these 2 rounds apart by looking at 'em as they are quite similar.....

This is a great idea. In my case its what different colors are for too. Range mags one color, working mags another.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top