Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/12/2006 11:57:40 AM EDT
Is this a correct assessment of barrel profiles?:

Going from lightest/thinnest to heaviest:

1)"Lightweight" Barrel: consistently thin from upper receiver to FH sometimes called "pencil" thin
2)"Gov't Profile": Thin under handguards/heavier up front for 203
3)"Medium Contour" (ala CMMG Inc.): I'm guessing consistent thickness for length of barrel somewhere between gov't profile and Hbar
4)"H-Bar": Thick Contour for entire length of barrel

I searched for definitions but couldn't find one unified answer.  If I have missed any please let me know (I purposely left out the M4 profile because I wasn't sure how to categorize it).

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Basically you have it correct.  Medium varies depending on who's barrel.  Anywhere from a consistant 0.75" for the entire barrel, up to a .8something (SPR type).  Heavys are in the .95 to 1" range to the FS then 0.75" after.

Bull Barrels are 1" the entire length (chamber to muzzle).

M4 would be a 'Govt Profile" as that is what the Govt uses, and it fits the bill.  It just adds a notch for the M203.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Basically you have it correct.  Medium varies depending on who's barrel.  Anywhere from a consistant 0.75" for the entire barrel, up to a .8something (SPR type).  Heavys are in the .95 to 1" range to the FS then 0.75" after.

Bull Barrels are 1" the entire length (chamber to muzzle).

M4 would be a 'Govt Profile" as that is what the Govt uses, and it fits the bill.  It just adds a notch for the M203.

Thanks.  I figured I was pretty close but just wanted to get a concrete answer on the subject.

Thanks again.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top