Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 6:01:53 AM EDT
Im sure you guys get this alot but what should I look for in buying an AR-15? Ive been told the chrome lined barrel is very important, 16-20 is the best barrel lenght, and that Bushmastar and Armalite are some of the better brands. Getting ready to go to BCT and AIT at the end of the month, so im sure ill learn alot more there. Any other tips for a noob? Also looking at $500-$900

Hooah!
Pv2 Brent Finnell
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:13:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, go chrome or go home is what they tell me. . .
You forgot to add Colt to your list of Great rifles. . . .
Get whatever barrel length you feel you need. . .  short and light or long and accurate.
And whatever you do, post pics of it here when you buy one. . . .
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:25:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I suggest this

Without the detachable carry handle.
You could get a dominator mount or some other type of BUIS.
This was my first.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Im sure you guys get this alot but what should I look for in buying an AR-15? Ive been told the chrome lined barrel is very important, 16-20 is the best barrel lenght, and that Bushmastar and Armalite are some of the better brands. Getting ready to go to BCT and AIT at the end of the month, so im sure ill learn alot more there. Any other tips for a noob? Also looking at $500-$900

Hooah!
Pv2 Brent Finnell

Chrome is nice to have but not necessary in a civilian rifle. If your looking to save approximately $50 go with chrome-moly instead of chrome-lined.

If you think your going to be issued an M4 Carbine at your permanent duty station then you might want to get an M4 type rifle. I’ve been out of the Army for 14+ years but if the A2 is still issued in basic you might also want to look into a standard A2 type rifle. The choice is yours.

Rock River Arms is also a good brand to look into. Only other thing I can think of, and you might be limited on time if you ship out at the end of April, is to practice, practice, practice.

Zero the rifle IAW the -10 and practice basic marksmanship skills. Field strip your weapon, learns it’s insides and out. Learn the proper nomenclatures for each part. If you do these things then you should be leaps and bounds ahead of the other Privates when it comes to range time!

Good luck and thanks for serving!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:55:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the fast replies guys, ill def. look into all of that. And of course pics will be posted when its all said and done
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out Stag thats what I put togther its a sweet shooter
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Found a nice one im gonna get!
Bushmaster M4/A3:
6 position stock
one 30 rd mag
removable handguard
16 inch chrom lined barrel
birdcage style flash

Price $869

Sound good?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Found a nice one im gonna get!
Bushmaster M4/A3:
6 position stock
one 30 rd mag
removable handguard
16 inch chrom lined barrel
birdcage style flash

Price $869

Sound good?

Sounds good. Oh, and one more thing..................

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Hooah!
hug.gif
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#9]
COLT/BUSHMASTER its all GOOD
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hooah!

Hey B-rent…..you sound like one hell of a motivated young man! I truly wish you the best, and good luck! I hope you get every bit you deserve out of the military and then some! Do us proud baby! Go kick some ass!

Quib
"Aero Scout"

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Quib and all the other guys, since im only around for 19 more days, Im looking forward to getting back on here with my new toy(s) in august. See you guys then hug.gif
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hooah!

Kick ass and take names for us Soldier.

Nathan
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#13]
good luck, i hope you are an 11b?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep 11b, gonna be at Ft. Benning, GA all summer long for BCT and AIT
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got it in today! Havent installed the rails or anything but here is a teaser till i get the stuff put on:

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice rifle. Take care of it and you can teach your grandkids to shoot on it.

Stay safe and good luck with your military career.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#17]
You did fine!  Good rifle you got there.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks guys, Oh and its the Bushmaster M4A3 that I had talked about above
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Hooah!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#20]

mags and ammo!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks sweet! Have fun!  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Thanks guys, Oh and its the Bushmaster M4A3 that I had talked about above

+1 nice choice for a first rifle, what are your plans for your next
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#23]
B-rent,

Did you get it from Jerry at Guns Unlimited  in Ayden or did you go elsewhere? I am looking to buy a lower from him and building my own rifle. Mackey's In Jamesville also has an excellent selection of all types of firearms.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I actually got it from machinegunsplus.com, prob could have saved a little getting in locally but maybe my next one.

Already caught the mod bug:
fake can and cheek rest w/ 2 battery holders

and a rail but that hasent been put on yet due to a lack of tools I have at school

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#25]
lol another new to the military chump that thinks he needs to buy an AR.  

M1A1 Loader/Driver/tank Bitch
M1A2 SEP Gunner
1/67 AR  Ft. Hood TX

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Lol well its alittle late to wait now, but I've always wanted one (even before I considered joining)  so it should be fun.

Im gonna be doing 11b (infantry) so I thought why not get a rifle similar to the ones ill be using when I graduate to get as much practices as possible. If im sent to Iraq id rather have as much time as possible shooting a gun similar to the GI issued ones than just the time the army gives me, esp. when people are shooting at me.

Anyways it should be fun and now I under stand why people cant stop at 1, I already got plans for a second
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#27]
lol and the left over parts from 1 and 2 will lead to the 3rd then 4th etc.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
lol another new to the military chump that thinks he needs to buy an AR.  

M1A1 Loader/Driver/tank Bitch
M1A2 SEP Gunner
1/67 AR  Ft. Hood TX

Okay Mr. 19K, picture this: National Guard, one weekend a month. Two weeks a year. Do the math. If the only time you train is when the guard tells you to, first of all, thats not very HOOAH, and second, you will fail at pretty much everything. You will fail your APFT, you will probably get fat and fail height/weight/tape, and you will probably get sloppy and fail your rifle qualification. Now I know some people who think its fine to just PT the month before the PT test and barely skate by with a 180, train up with a .22 or something the weekend before rifle quals and just barely skate by. Hell, I know one individual who smokes dope all year but the month prior to when the drug tests usually are for the unit. Guess what, some people just want to skate by, and thats fine, they are up to standards, even if just barely.

But some people dont want to skate by.  Some people are "HOOAH". Oh yes. We are. We get up early in the morning and do some hard chargin PT, 3-5 days a week year round, whether we have somebody making us or not. We go rucking many weekends. We go to the range many weekends. You know who we are, because we come to drill and people who arent "HOOAH" cant help but notice how damn squared away we are. Not only are our uniforms emaculate and our hair high and tight, but we lead the way in PT like our life depended on it, and at rifle qualification make the skaters by wonder why they even bother.

And both of us are 11B. We are apt to go into battle with nothing but an assualt rifle and a plastic vast and hat. We have to train like our lives depend on it, because they do.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#29]
And dont forget ROTC who is gonna make me do PT 3 days a week as soon as I get back every month that im in school, Military Science class 8-930 2 days a week and a Military Sciecne Lab 1 day a week
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:03:49 AM EDT
[#30]
good work on your first rifle and good luck this summer! You'll be very comfotable with ARs when you get back from BCT and AIT.....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top