Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 4:36:17 AM EDT
But I am confused as hell because of all the brands out there.  Im really looking for a nice rifle that I can hand down to my grandchildren (I'm only 32).  Im looking for a removable handle and a collapsable stock.  I probably won't go crazy with competition shooting or tons of accesories but I do want a rifle I can reach out and touch paper from quite a distance away.  Dont ask me how far because my only shooting experiance involves pistols.

So Im thinking about either the New Smith & Wesson, Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River, DPMS ...  Probably leaning towards the S&W, Colt or the RockRiver.  I can get the S&W for $900.

What do you guys think ??
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:38:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the Rock River.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:39:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Get the Rock River.

Duh.

No brainer.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:44:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd say RRA or Bushmaster.

I would look into Stag as well.  Great for the money.

I am actually having trouble with my upper right now, but I seem to be the only one.  At least the lower is awesome :)
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:45:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I have owned the top three on your list, as well as LMT! They all performed perfectly! It is all in opinion....yours that is! You would be happy with any of the top three in your list! If you are looking for the best deal, I would vote RRA.
As far as any other brand, I could not vote either way, as I don't have any experience with them.
Sean
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:49:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:05:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Welcome to the site!

More bang for your buck with the RRA, IMHO.  I'd also vote to upgrade the barrel to chrome-lined.  Gets a bit humid in parts of FL.  

Question - why do you want a removable carry handle?  Just curious.  I ask because a lot of guys buy a flat top upper because they want the versatility.  Usually guys will want some sort of optic in the future.  If that is the case with you, why not save the money for the carry handle and put it instead into a good flip-up BUIS?  It will cost you about the same.  And that way when you do decide you want a scope or dot sight you will still be able to keep the flip-up iron.

Just a thought to maybe save you some money in the long run.  

+1 I bought a carry handle for my M4, and now, about a month later, I bought an Aimpoint and want a flip-up sight to co-witness them.

Instead I just mounted it on top of the carry handle for now, but take it into consideration.  I don't mind the current setup.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:12:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Sure are a lot of RR fans on this board ha ha ha.

I voted Colt.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:15:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By BookHound

Question - why do you want a removable carry handle?  Just curious.  I ask because a lot of guys buy a flat top upper because they want the versatility.  Usually guys will want some sort of optic in the future.  If that is the case with you, why not save the money for the carry handle and put it instead into a good flip-up BUIS?  It will cost you about the same.  And that way when you do decide you want a scope or dot sight you will still be able to keep the flip-up iron.

Just a thought to maybe save you some money in the long run.  hr

Good Point -- I think I will follow your advise ...  Problem is finding a local dealer of RRA
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:37:56 AM EDT
[#11]

What about Fulton Armory?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#12]
My first AR was shipped on Monday, I will be picking it up this afternoon.  It's a RRA Entry Tactical
I ordered from Chris at Eagle Firearms.   I've already ordered mag's, ammo, and other things
for it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:46:25 AM EDT
[#13]
AR stands for Armalite
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:46:52 AM EDT
[#14]
RRA or bushy
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Colt, or Bushmaster
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:53:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Colt 6921 or Bushmaster
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:58:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I've Owned Colt, Bushy and RRA.  I've played with Oly and DPMS.  I carried an H&R in the Army.

RRA is the best machined and smoothest action I have ever owned or used.  The price is absolutely right, too.  Service and turnaround is excellent, and they have an active board on the Industry forum.

In the grand scheme of things you cannot go wrong with any of the brands listed, but the most bang for the buck goes to RRA--IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:08:00 AM EDT
[#19]
being a relative newbie myself i only have one AR, for now, a bushy (my vote) M4gery but i'd consider getting a RRA in the future...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a Colt, bought an RRA and then sold the Colt.  I really like my RRA but the S&W is tempting.  I haven't shot one yet but if they had a government profile barrel it would be a +.  I don't think you can go wrong with any of the rifles on your list.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:50:08 AM EDT
[#21]

I have owned Colt, Bushmaster and RRA.  All three are fine weapons.  

I can't comment on S&W or DPMS. AR15 weapons.  

I don't think you will go wrong with any of your choices.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:51:04 AM EDT
[#22]
RRA or Colt or Bushmaster.

Flip a coin because you can't go wrong with either of them.

RRA is my choice, though.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Welcome!

I went with Bushmaster and can personally recommend them, but I have been hearing good things about the S&W too
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:57:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Any of the CRAB's will be fine. (CRAB's meaning Colt, Rock River, Armalite, and Bushmaster.)
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

What about Fulton Armory?

What about Fulton Armory? Not one of the choices. However,IMO, my Fulton Armory equals or exceeds most of the major manufacturers in fit, finish and fuction.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#26]
well been calling all the local dealers to see whats available.  Only RRA I have found does not have the chrome lined barrel and they want $1100 for it.  The S&W I can get for $925 and the reviews so far are VERY good.  

I think I might be getting the S&W -- gonna look at it later today.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#28]
RRA or Colt

I love RRA but as for something to keep in the family for a long time Colt would be your best shot because they hold their value

However i still like RRA....though a maybe geting a Colt soon just for the hell of it eather way you cant really go wrong

PS: DPMS is great for the price and they have wonderful costomer care
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Bushy or RRA
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#30]
What no LOVE For STAG
Great Product and Customer Service
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#31]
I personally like the Colt 6920 and think it is the ideal rifle to start with.  Colt has the best quality control in the industry and has been making these rifles the longest.  You get a 1:7 twist barrel, M4 feedramps, a milspec receiver extension tube (the buffer tube), a properly proofed and magnafluxed barrel and bolt, and a fullauto bolt group.  Add a good sling and a whole lot of ammo and you're good to go for awhile.  Then add a fore-end rail system and optics as time, money, and training permit.

I believe the 1:7 twist, M4 feedramps, magnafluxing, and milspec receiver extension are worth the extra cash for a Colt.

Here is my 6920 with Aimpoint ML2 in a LaRue mount, Troy buis, LaRue 7.0 rail fore-end, Surefire E2D in VLTOR scout mount, Tangodown vertical grip, Knights rail panels, and Knights QD sling swivel attachements on the rail and buttstock.  I use a Wilderness Giles sling with QD swivels.  I believe this is an ideal setup.

Of the others you mention, I've been very impressed with Rock River and the S&W M&P.  RRA blends the feedramps in the barrel extension with the upper (they are not M4 ramps) but does not anodize the surface.  Both the RRA and S&W will have 1:9 twist barrels.  The S&W will have a milspec receiver extension, the RRA will not.  We sell the RRA and S&W at our store and I'm very impressed with both rifles.

Bushmaster also makes nice rifles, but I think Rock Rivers are nicer and they seem to really be on the ball with quality control

I'd personally stay away from DPMS.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
But I am confused as hell because of all the brands out there.  Im really looking for a nice rifle that I can hand down to my grandchildren (I'm only 32).  Im looking for a removable handle and a collapsable stock.  I probably won't go crazy with competition shooting or tons of accesories but I do want a rifle I can reach out and touch paper from quite a distance away.  Dont ask me how far because my only shooting experiance involves pistols.

So Im thinking about either the New Smith & Wesson, Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River, DPMS ...  Probably leaning towards the S&W, Colt or the RockRiver.  I can get the S&W for $900.

What do you guys think ??

If you want a shooter, get a Stag, CMMG, Bushmaster, or whatever you can find for a good value.  

This might be one of the only times I will advise someone to buy a Colt.  If you are already thinking "heirloom", you might want a Colt.  It has a higher price tag, but it carries with it a higher name recognition, and therefore it will be seen by "non-gun types" as a quality firearm.  

When i bought my CMMG, it cost $750.  It's the spitt'n image of a Colt LE6920, which at the time would have cost $1150.  I saved $400, and couldn't be happier with the rifle.  However, in 40 years, CMMG could easily be out of business, but Colt won't (probably.)  

I bought mine to shoot, AND pass on, so I actually considered the Colt for this reason.  I made the decision $400 wasn't worth the name recognition.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#33]
There's a gunshow this weekend at the Ft. Lauderdale War Memorial Auditorium where you can check prices, manufacturers and the quality of each manufacturer.

Prices last show had finally fallen to meet and in some cases beat internet pricing.

I have been loyal to Bushmaster for years since I bought my first M4gery.
I don't like that Rock River offers chrome-lined barrels as an option.

You really won't go wrong as long as you get a chrome-lined barrel.

A bunch of us are meeting up there Saturday around Noon and there's a shoot set for Sunday in Florida City. There's a perfect opportunity to shoot your new AR and get plenty of pointers or shoot all of our different AR's, then decide which one to buy.

Check the Hometown Forum, we are pretty active and have plenty of get togethers.

HS1

ETA a pic of my '88 YJ which loves getting abused. We love to wheel!

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#34]
I really don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices. My AR-15 has a Stag upper (for my left handedness) and a RRA lower with NM trigger. I've been really happy with it and it's never had any kind of problem.

Like the others said, don't impulse buy. Look around, go to the local range and ask questions same with gun shows. Read magazine reviews on the pieces you're interested in and compare prices online and in person.

Good luck with your hunt!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Nothing wrong with RRA.  Just be prepared to wait if you going to buy a complete rifle from them.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I believe the 1:7 twist, M4 feedramps, magnafluxing, and milspec receiver extension are worth the extra cash for a Colt.

Is the non-milspec FCG worth the extra cash too?

You really cant go wrong with any AR you listed. Ide also throw Stag, LMT, and Armalite into the mix. This might be your first AR, but it most likely wont be your last, so you will have time to try other brands if you like! Do it the ARFCOM way and buy one of each!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey Miami02TJ,

Welcome to the board!!

I would recomend that you take your time do some hunting and pecking around here.  Get with some of your South Florida breathen and go do some shooting.

When you get ready - find you a FFL to buddy up with - order your self two stripped lower recivers I would go the RRA (saves on fright - and tranfers).  Run down a lower parts kit - spring for the two stage RRA trigger - you will love it.

Drive some pins, screw on your butstock - you will have a very good understanding how to work on your gun - then order a complete upper from one of the vendors in the EE - I would remomend a mid length - with a A2 carry handle - I think that the irons are a better deal - than the hight dollar go fast red dots.

Have fun - welcome to the BRD

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#38]
What flavore Kool Aid do you like?  

I would have to say buy the Colt
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I think they are all good.

I voted Bushy, only because I own 3

--VT
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#40]
as mentioned before
Colt RRA Armlalite bushmaster  can't go wrong

DPMS and Olympic are cheaper for a reason
all the other brands i have  little  experience with
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I too was in the market for my first AR.

I chose Bushmaster A3M4 with 16" barrel (XM15E2S).  Bushmaster quality has been proven and many gov't agencies uses Bushmaster.  Rock River Arms and DPMS may be just as good, but why take the chance?  I plan to keep my M4 forever so the extra couple of hundreds I spend now will be insignificant down the road.

Check out all these gov't agencies that uses Bushmaster's

U. S. Border Patrol
U. S. Department of Defense
U. S. Department of Homeland Security
U. S. Department of Parks and Recreation
U. S. Customs
U. S. Drug Enforcement Agency
U. S. Marshal's Service
U. S. Secret Service
Alabama Highway Patrol
California Department of Justice
California Highway Patrol
Utah State Highway Patrol
Los Angeles Police Department
Georgia Bureau of Investigation
City of Philadelphia
City of Salt Lake
City of San Jose Police Department
Tennessee Highway Patrol
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Also, one thing I don't like about AR's is they are pricey and even more  pricey to accessories.

I paid $1000 for my Bushmaster A3M4 and paid another $1100 for:

EoTech Holograpic Sight
ARMS Rear Flip up site
Sure Fire Rails
Sure Fire scout light.
Graphite forward grip
Tactical Sling

But man is this thing pretty!  Still have not shot her yet as I am afraid she will get dirty  I'll just abuse my Sig and AK for awhile until I get tired of looking at her... or get tired of practicing low crawling with her from the livingroom to the bedroom.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Well thanks to everyone for all your help ...

I was on the phone with RRA today and they have a pretty long wait for a rifle.  No one stocks them with the chrome lined barrel anywhere in FL (at least out of the 15 plus places I called in a 150 mile radius).

I taked to a buddy of mine at a range and he said he spent most of the weekend shooting his buddies new SW and says he likes it better than Colts and Bushies he has shot int the past --

So I got the S&W -- It is SN number is under 100.  :)  Knowing how I am, this wont be my only AR.  I'll order a RRA in the future and set ip up for something other than .223.

Anyway here is a pic:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/811000_large.jpg

I hope to meet with some of the local guys here onthe forum this weekend for a shoot.  

Thx again everyone ...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Nice Jeep -- here is my TJ durring a wheeling trip to TN.

http://miamitj.com/trips/monteagle04/me6.jpg

A more recent pic with my trailer:

http://miamitj.com/trips/05jeepfest/jeepntrailer.jpg

More pics at: www.miamitj.com

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Well thanks to everyone for all your help ...

I was on the phone with RRA today and they have a pretty long wait for a rifle.  No one stocks them with the chrome lined barrel anywhere in FL (at least out of the 15 plus places I called in a 150 mile radius).

I taked to a buddy of mine at a range and he said he spent most of the weekend shooting his buddies new SW and says he likes it better than Colts and Bushies he has shot int the past --

So I got the S&W -- It is SN number is under 100.  :)  Knowing how I am, this wont be my only AR.  I'll order a RRA in the future and set ip up for something other than .223.

Anyway here is a pic:

www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/811000_large.jpg

I hope to meet with some of the local guys here onthe forum this weekend for a shoot.  

Thx again everyone ...

Very nice.  You will be happy with your M&P.  Congratulations.  Buy yourself a Colt 6920 and 6520 next.  Then build a few rifles up yourself, just for fun.  Black Rifle Disease is an addiction, brother....I hope you're prepared.  Oh and if you really want to become addicted, go to one of Ruben Mendiola's machinegun shoots at Trailglades range in Miami
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top