Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 2:05:17 AM EDT
   I have a M4 style barrel 16in. I have a friend who works at a machine shop. Does it really reduce the weight much? Say going from .750 to .625 or smaller in the areas that can be milled? If you have milled your barrel was it worth it? Any helpful advise is welcome.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:17:07 AM EDT
[#1]
At the range, probably not. Now, if you hike with a rifle alot, then yea. Every pound counts.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#3]
One person has had their barrel milled! You guys are killing me !!

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you talking about having it re-contoured? I haven't done that, but I've had a couple barrels fluted, and it helps when shooting unsupported.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#5]
It can make a big diff with the weight and balance of the rifle, especially going down from a HB.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:37:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Are you talking about having it re-contoured? I haven't done that, but I've had a couple barrels fluted, and it helps when shooting unsupported.

No I don't plan to have it fluted, but re-contoured to a smaller diameter like a pencil or light weight barrel. But was just curious if it was worth the trouble. I carry it and almost never shoot off a bench. Here is the best picture I have up close to my barrel.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Re contouring an M4 probably isn't worth the risk of having a friend run it through a lathe especiailly since there wouldn't be that dramatic a weight reduction.  It's harder than it seems if he hasn't got experience.  There is no guarantee that whatever accuracy potential the barrel has now, will be retained.

Even having one of the highly regarded folks on this board do it would have some risk, and would run prob. $100 plus.

If you're desperate, consider selling your barrel and buying an lightweight, say from CMMG.  If you like to gamble, go ahead and "turn" your barrel; good luck!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top