Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/19/2006 5:09:04 PM EDT
im just wondering how much further forward the gas block is on a 16" middy barrel.
the reason i ask is i currently have a 16" m4 profile barrel and was thinking i would like to build a middy, is it possible to modify my current barrel to a middy with a new gas block or is the notch in the barrel gonna be in the way? in any case i will be getting a low pro gas block (or maybe chop my fsb), and  installing a troy MRF-MX and flip up front site. thought it would be cool with the m4 barrel since i havnt seen any (maybe havnt seen any because its not possible)

thanx in advance.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe I read somewhere that it is 2 inches exactly
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#2]
it is two inches, but your not going to be able to convert your M4 barrel to a mid length barrel. you could however put a low pro gas block on and a mid length FF tube over the top
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#3]
well in that case ill have to start a new rifle

thanx for the help
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually, you can convert a standard 16" bbl to a mid length--I did.  I'll happily email pics to someone who can post 'em here in the thread.  

It wasn't that difficult to do.  I removed the original FSB, drilled a new gas port, covered the old gas port with the front "ring" of the old FSB, slapped on a YHM flip-up front sight, and added a middy gas tube and handguards.  The only scary part was drilling the barrel for the new gas port.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#5]
i would be interested in seeing those pics

ETA: i would be happy to post the pics here
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Actually, you can convert a standard 16" bbl to a mid length--I did.  I'll happily email pics to someone who can post 'em here in the thread.  

It wasn't that difficult to do.  I removed the original FSB, drilled a new gas port, covered the old gas port with the front "ring" of the old FSB, slapped on a YHM flip-up front sight, and added a middy gas tube and handguards.  The only scary part was drilling the barrel for the new gas port.

Not something I'd like to try. Or for the faint of heart.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#7]
You CAN'T do it with an M4 barrel because the front of the FSB would be over the M4 cutout.

I have seen a standard carbine barrel converted to LOOK like a Mid-length.

The guy cut down the original front sight base leaving only the rear ring and just enough of the gas port to allow it to function.  He then installed a second front sight base by attaching the rear pin hole of the FSB to the front pin hole in the barrel.  A new third pin hole was drilled to secure the front pin hole of the FSB.  This setup was able to use standard mid-length handguards.

That was a few years ago.  These days, it's WAY easier to just buy another barrel now that they're so available.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The guy cut down the original front sight base leaving only the rear ring and just enough of the gas port to allow it to function.  He then installed a second front sight base by attaching the rear pin hole of the FSB to the front pin hole in the barrel.  A new third pin hole was drilled to secure the front pin hole of the FSB.  This setup was able to use standard mid-length handguards.

that seems like way too much work for very little payoff
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#9]
The gas port on a middie is as far from the muzzle as the port on a 20" barrel.  I don't know the number right off hand, but there it is.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The gas port on a middie is as far from the muzzle as the port on a 20" barrel.  I don't know the number right off hand, but there it is.

There's 4" of barrel from the end of the FSB out to the muzzle on a mid, with flash suppressor removed.

For reference, there's 4.5" to the end of an M4 and a 20" rifle, both without FS.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree that with all the midlengths available today it's probably easier to simply buy a new barrel.  However, I'm a cheap SOB, so converting my own barrel appealed to me.  

One thing to note, on my conversion there's no step in the barrel that holds the front handguard cap in place.  That does make it somewhat a pain to hold the cap in place when putting the handguards on, but once the handguards are on they hold the cap firmly against the FSB.

I think PsyKo will be posting pics here shortly for folks to see.  Thanks, PsyKo.

Regards,
Scott
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:53:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think PsyKo will be posting pics here shortly for folks to see.  Thanks, PsyKo.

no problem, thanx for sharing them

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top