Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 10:41:38 PM EDT
Firstly I am to understand they are universal, same bolt carrier works on all models chambered in 5.56/.223?  Right?

Any advantages in nonstandard models for instance Chrome?

Is a RRA bolt carrier superior to any other brand?  Does one brand stand out?

Placing order monday so answers soon would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Bolt carriers are standard for all rifle calibers in the AR-15. What may be different is the bolt.

Coated (chrome, TiN, etc) mostly just preference. Some feel that chrome carriers clean easier.  One place that chrome is an advantage is the bore that the bolt fits into. Better wear characteristics.

Some on hear will swear that Colt is the only one to have but any name brand manufacturers will be good. RRA is a good one.

Most AR parts are made for most of the different brands by a few companies. I can't tell you who makes what for who but as long as you but major brand you will b fine.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Firstly I am to understand they are universal, same bolt carrier works on all models chambered in 5.56/.223?  Right? if it aint some super accurate ridiculous expensive shooter than yes they are the same

Any advantages in nonstandard models for instance Chrome? get a chromelined carrier which most good companies offer save the chrome "bling" for the rims

Is a RRA bolt carrier superior to any other brand?  Does one brand stand out? rra is one of the better ones. out of all i have used the cmt stands out a bit more than the others but then again cmt supplies for a few of the others

Placing order monday so answers soon would be greatly appreciated.

just go to gandrtactical or dennysguns and order a cmt and be done with it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#3]
CMT is a quality bolt carrier.  That's what I would buy.  Are you buying the bolt and bolt carrier? If so, I would buy a chrome plated (coated) and lined bolt.  I have used both and the chromed bolt is easier to clean and easier to find things wrong, places that need extra cleaning, etc.  Chrome plated bolt carrier is a matter of personal preference.  JMO...

TS
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt, Les Baer and Young Manufacturing are top notch. CMT is also excellent, and RRA is OK. M16 carriers are better than AR carriers, and "enhanced" carriers, with a shrouded firing pin, should be considered the minimum.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Bump for more.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top