Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 8:31:28 AM EDT
My neighbor's brother is looking for a new SP1 that is as close to the same as the one he carried in Vietnam as possible. I am trying to find the best deal on the most accurate VN era SP1 I can for him. I am looking for advice on what to look for, and what to avoid, as I am not as familiar with the SP1 as I am a more modern AR rifle.

He came out shooting with us a few times and he really got a kick out of shooting our ARs. He lost most of his interest in guns after the war, but now he's getting a little nostalgic. He wasn't regular Army, he worked for Christians In Action during the war, so I don't know if that means they had their rifles configured any differently. He did say he wanted a 20" barrel and a fixed carry handle though. That's about as much as I could get out of him in the short time we talked last I saw him. He doesn't talk very much, and if I ask him about VN he gives short concise (but polite) answers. I'd love to be able to help him out, any advice is appreciated. A few of the guys out around here are VN vets, so this might get their interest up too.

2IDdoc
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to Fulton Armory's website. They have A1's style rifles for sale
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

so does CDNN
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Can those A1 uppers accept A2 handguards or a m5 ras?  A lightweight 20 would be nice IMO...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so does CDNN

Cool, I was looking at that upper last night, and wondering if it was the same upper that was used in Vietnam. It sure looks like it to me.
DefensorFortis, thanks for the Fulton Armory link. That VN era rifle they have is beautiful! The price is great too.
I'm going to have to send him these links to look at.

Good stuff guys.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He didn't carry the SP-1, so you don't have to look at those, however, they are often an easy buy for something that is pretty close.  The CDNN uppers are actual military uppers, so depending on which version he carried, they may be a nice option.

Ask him if his M16 has a forward assist or not, that will give you an idea of what to look for.  

Excellent point! I will be asking him this very question. I was just wondering about that myself. The CDNN deal is looking better and better all the time. I may have to get one for myself too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#7]
My brother has the fulton one and it is very nice and probably as close as you're going to get, if you buy new.  www.checkpointcharlies.com had 2 nice real sp1's for sale.  Check em out.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top