Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 5:43:45 AM EDT
Hey all,

Looking for some advice here.  I have been thinking of adding a Tele Stock to my Colt Sporter Lightweight.  Since I am going to keep it I am going to start enjoying it.  I know I would go with a Mil-spec unit, but my question is about swapping them out myself.

I picked up one of the G&A Special issues a while back that is dedicated exclusively to the AR-15, I'm sure you all have seen it and probably own it.  They have an article in there about changing out the stock and it goies through how it is supposed to be done.  At one point they mention that a part has to be PEENED and it can't be Locktited on.

Is there peening involved?  I have broke an AR down but that was back in college when I took a marksmanship class.  So I know I can do it but I would have to have a guide to break it down again.  Is swapping out the solid style stock for a telestock amount to merely adding it in the place of the other stock when re-assembling?  Is there a lot more to the process than that?  Would I be better off letting a smith do it for me?

Any help you all can give would be really appreciated.

Thank You.

Nala
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#1]
check out the build it yourself forum for the tacked threads.

its pretty simple and straight forward.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:00:35 AM EDT
[#2]
If you feel comfortable changing the oil in your car you can definitely put on a telestock.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:33:20 AM EDT
[#3]
It's an easy job. Just slide the fixed stock off very slowly so you don't lose the reaar takedown detent/spring.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's an easy job. Just slide the fixed stock off very slowly so you don't lose the reaar takedown detent/spring.

amen!!!

staking the rear stock nut is not a big deal, you just need to make ( regrind ) a staking tool from a small chisel and make sure you TOTALLY support your workpiece.  All you are doing is displacing a slight amount of metal from the rear plate so that it "wedges" into the small displacement slots on the castle nut.  VERY easy and you can do it with a fairly soft blow with an 8 ounce ball peen.

oh, and make sure you have installed and properly retained the rear pushpin detent and spring AND the buffer retainer and spring  BEFORE you stark staking!!!!

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:41:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Another "amen" to that.  It's easy to swap out the stock, but it's even easier to lose that damn spring.

And a little blue loctite will do the trick if you don't feel like staking it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Disassembly Of Rifle Buttstock

1.  Cock the hammer, depress the buffer retainer, and pull the buffer and its spring forward out of the receiver extension.

2. Remove the top buttstock screw.

3. Remove the buttstock, takedown pin's spring and detent, and the receiver extension spacer (A1 will not have spacer.)

4. Remove receiver extension (buffer tube) with a wrench, while holding the buffer retainer in place.

5. Remove buffer retainer and spring.

Assembly Of Carbine Buttstock

1. Install the rear takedown pin's detent and spring into their hole in the lower receiver.

2.  Thread the castle nut all the way onto the buffer tube, then install the back plate (hump forward) in front of it.

3. Thread the receiver extension (buffer tube) into the lower receiver about 3/4 of the way.

4. Insert the buffer retainer and its spring into the lower receiver.

5. Tighten the receiver extension until it overlaps the buffer retainer to hold it in place.

6. Tighten the castle nut with a spanner wrench, while making sure that the takedown pin's spring gets compressed into its hole correctly by the back plate.

7. Slide the buttstock onto the receiver extension by pulling straight down on the latch.

8. Cock the hammer and slide the spring and buffer into the receiver extension while depressing the buffer retainer.

You do not need to stake the castle nut if you don't want to. I never have, nor do I use Loc-Tite on it.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top