Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2006 4:51:46 AM EDT
Hello, I am looking into getting an AR15, and can't spend a lot.  It seems like the Bushmaster is one of the top manufacturers, but I need something more budget-minded, but still a quality product.  Olympic Arms seems to be the best choice, they have some decent priced entry models, and a lifetime warranty.  I need some opinions on this manuf..  If I purchase an AR from them, I can use the NATO 5.56 ammo, correct?  I don't want to have to buy expensive or difficult-to-find ammo or anything.   PLEASE HELP!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:07:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Hi Guy:

I would not buy the Olympic Arms; they look good but have the reputation of being of poor quality and by the number on entries on this board, have functioning problems on a regular basis.

Go with the Bushmaster, I have had ok luck with them.

Take Care….

MP5 Machinenpistole
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#2]
-1 on Olympic

Save your cash and buy Bushmaster or RRA as an entry.  And no, all the Olympics I've seen are marked .223.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:14:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Take a look at Stag/CMT, Eagle Firearms is a good place for these, or you can try a kit from Model 1 Sales.  Another option is used on the Equipment Exchange here.

Save until you can afford a quality rifle you'll be better off in the long run.

Read the Ammo Oracle
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:54:37 AM EDT
[#4]
just to address your worries about having problems finding ammo: you won't have problems either way.  A 5.56 chamber will fire .223 no problem.  But you want to avoid firing 5.56 in a .223 chamber.  Since 5.56 is less common than .223 (at say Wal Mart or some gun store), and .223 will work in a chamber cut either way, you will have NO problems finding ammo you can use.  But of course, a .223 chamber is limited to .223 ammo.

One other thing- I know it's blasphemy to say this here, but put off getting your AR.  Do your homework.  You're new to this and there's a lot to learn.  This site can be a valuable resource, but don't use it as your only source of learning.  You'll occasionally run into misinformation here that can lead you astray.  And you'll sometimes see some "Texas Truths" (if more than 3 people say it then it must be true).  Furthermore, (pointing out the obvious) the average person here is, of course, an average AR-15 shooter.  And you don't want to learn about a weapon system from people who are only average in knowledge and expertise.  This isn't to say that everyone here is a dumb ass.  This site, and an awful lot of it's members are helpfull and knowledgeable in many ways.  But why base your knowledge on what we (questionable sources) say when you can buy books on the AR-15 written by authors who are so credible that they actually get PUBLISHED.  In the long run, you'll be better served taking your time, putting out the effort, and doing it right.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against Texas.  Of the 2 times I've been there, I enjoyed myself twice.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top