Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 9:55:22 PM EDT
i am gonna pick me up my first ever ar based rifle this coming week and i need help!

i am up in the air about this cause i have never really done to much research on AR's  should i stick with the .223 caliber or go 308?  also what company would you choose to go with? i have pondered over a adjustable butt but still dont know that either i want something i can sit down with and shoot groups at 100 yards or 200 yards  but something i can play with also and do some bush trimming with. so something that shoots reliable would be great have heard some things about match grade ar's fouling up so on i would like it to shoot with every click go booommmmm

help me out guys give me options , comments call me a moron whatever it takes i wouldl ike some help deciding on what i would like to call a tack drivin fun to shoot show to your buddies AR

just give me some quality options i can ponder at  i would prefer it to be a weapon already assembled and that is a good start for someone like me that doesnt have much AR exsperience yet but also a good platform that i can later add modifications too!

thanks for your advise/ comments  and for helping a AR new B get into the the right weapon

Glockster19
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#1]
For a first AR, I'd recommend a Rock River Arms 16" midlength with a flat-top and a detachable carry handle (so you can add optics later, if you decide).  It's a great flexible model (by a quality manufacturer) that can satisfy a bunch of different roles, and be pretty good at all of them, without being really specialized.

A similiar model by a different manufacturer (like Armalite, CMT, Bravo Co, CMMG, etc.) is obviously just as good.  Just mentioned RRA off the top of my head.

Don't worry too much about the buttstock.  If you don't like one configuration, just buy a different stock and switch them out.  Easy to do.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
i personally would go with the 5.56/.223 from bushmaster
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest not spending a fortune on your first AR.  Your first will most likely be your beater.  You will want to play with it, constantly practice and test its functions and maybe even take it somewhat apart to see how the whole thing works.  You WILL NOT want to do this with an expensive out of the box AR.  Start with a relatively cheap but reliable AR, however, this all depends on your budget.  For me, RRA was a perfect first choice...  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
For a first AR, I'd recommend a Rock River Arms 16" midlength with a flat-top and a detachable carry handle (so you can add optics later, if you decide).  It's a great flexible model (by a quality manufacturer) that can satisfy a bunch of different roles, and be pretty good at all of them, without being really specialized.

A similiar model by a different manufacturer (like Armalite, CMT, Bravo Co, CMMG, etc.) is obviously just as good.  Just mentioned RRA off the top of my head.

Don't worry too much about the buttstock.  If you don't like one configuration, just buy a different stock and switch them out.  Easy to do.

+1
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#5]
thank you guys i was actually looking a a Rock river AR but what i really appritiate is the comments on the mid length barrel and the removable grip handle those were thing i just wasnt aware of option,

also thank you for suggesting a cheaper ar for the first and using it as a learning tool and beater cause i am the type of guuy who likes to learn and learn rite but also i aint shy to spend money but you are right start with a nice relaible beater froma  reputble company like RR and go from there keep the comments and suggestions coming guys

Glockster19
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#6]
heres a comment for ya, GLOCKS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!Im just kidding im here looking which one i should get.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]
i dont know if you kiddin or not all i got to say is this isnt even about glocks and if you want to see what a reall weapon can do check out big bores thread called"Glock test" its about 30 pages long but just watch the movies on the first few pages of the test he does, and you can watch him shoot 500rnds as fast as he can load not one malfunction

he has had the same gun for 11 years only cleaning it gets is a degreaser now and then no oil and he has over 150k rnds through it  ya your 1911 or whatever you have might cost 2 or 3 times as much but the little plastic gun will be garrentied to go bang everytime you pull the trigger will your?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
heres a comment for ya, GLOCKS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!Im just kidding im here looking which one i should get.

He was just kidding you....

Welcome to the board...  

ETA: 17,19,23 and a LONG SLIDE..... lol
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#9]
RRA or Bushmaster 16" carbine would be a great first rifle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i personally would go with the 5.56/.223 from bushmaster

+1 If you wan't a .308 get a M1A.  Just my$0.02
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#11]
You can not go wrong with a Stag, and you can save a few bucks at the same time.

I would not bother with another caliber other than 5.56 for your first.  Others can come later.

K.I.S.S. and you will do OK.  This means get a basic model and figure what else you want to do afterwards. Also, go with a flatop, the A1 or A2 can come later as well.

Welcome.

Seydou
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#12]
think i narrowed it down to a RRA midlength, with flat top upper and some other little goodies,

just i dont know if i want the midlength or the full length firearm,

give me some feed back on the different sized RRA AR's

thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:10:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
think i narrowed it down to a RRA midlength, with flat top upper and some other little goodies,

just i dont know if i want the midlength or the full length firearm,

give me some feed back on the different sized RRA AR's

thanks guys

RRA doesn't chrome line there 20inch barrels and there 20 inchers have tighter  223 wylde chamber vs the 16" 5.56 NATO chamber.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#14]
so in essence the 20"s are gonna be more accuate not only cause added length but they are craome lined and tighter chambered?

good feed back keep it coming im gonna order one right off

i came across one at a shop RRA A4  flat top witht he retractable butt and a kick ass optic system and a few other little add ons like grips and little things

$1250 kinda up int he air about that too
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Glockster...

The length of the barrel has nothing to do with accuracy. In the RR line, the stainless barrels have the accuracy edge. I am waiting for the stainless 16" mids to be in stock then I will pick up an upper.

Over 1200 sounds like a lot of dough...now that might be a good deal if you really want the accessories that come with it, or if it has a rail, but I would be looking to find one for around $800. Just shop around. Maybe someone here who is really up on pricing can chime in.

If you want a basic m-4, the Stag that was previously recommended is great. Stag is an outlet for CMT...a first tier manufacurer...CMT being the parent company. Rock River primarily uses CMT parts, so the quality is basically the same....both excellent.

Good luck.

TC
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#16]
the $1250 RRA midlength A4 was pretty well assesorized and it did have a rial, and optics and mags, and some asseorries

im sure its prob worth more like $1150 depeneding on what the optics are worth i didnt even look close at that cause i was working and i only had a few mins to browse
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top