Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 7:57:48 AM EDT
What do you all think would be better for making a light (but well ballanced) mid-length RRA, fluting the entire barrel or contouring under the handguards and foward of the FSB?  The fluting might help with barrel stiffness and cooling but the contouring would look more "normal".

Thanks in advance

bradinnm

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#1]
tagged for later
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I like my contoured midlength with rail...  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#3]
tagged - opinions anyone?

THX

bradinnm

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Turn the barrel down until it looks like a MacDonalds straw.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#5]
flute under the handguards
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm considering the dimpling route under the handguards.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#7]
For weight reduction, contouring is the only way to go. Fluting does not reduce much weight and that's not really what it's done for anyway. Fluting is done to aid in cooling the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I too like the demples, who all does this service?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#9]
That pic is from the SHOT show, right?

I love that look...but haven't been able to find anyone who does it...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That pic is from the SHOT show, right?

I love that look...but haven't been able to find anyone who does it...

Yup, that's the KAC rifle from SS. I do not believe anybody else is doing that at this point but I believe Randell was working on a program to do it? I'd shoot him an e-mail if you are serious...

AR15barrels.com
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I was told any decent machinist would be able to do it given he had the right machinery. However, I plan to talk to the barrel maker/turner to see how deep the dimples can be while still being safe. I haven't looked into it that far as I'm still a bit away, so I'm sure there are others here that have alot more knowledge and experience on it. Finding them is another story though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#12]
You can have it profiled to medium contour, then fluted. This is what I plan to do with my RRA midlength.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I was told any decent machinist would be able to do it given he had the right machinery. However, I plan to talk to the barrel maker/turner to see how deep the dimples can be while still being safe. I haven't looked into it that far as I'm still a bit away, so I'm sure there are others here that have alot more knowledge and experience on it. Finding them is another story though.

Another thing would be to consider what effect dimpling would have on the barrel when it heats up.  If the pattern is not done exactly, you could get one side of the barrel heating more than the other (or rather, slightly more surface area heating on one side) and adding non-uniform stresses in the barrel.  

I would think this could change your POI, much like a tight sling on a non-floated barrel.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Go with what YOU like best.  Fluting is an option that has both aesthetic and functional appeal, although the funtional benefits are limited.  Yes, flutes do aid in cooling and make the barrel stiffer than a non-fluted barrel of EQUAL WEIGHT, but I honestly doubt that accelerated cooling and increased stiffness make a big deal for most shooters.

Personally, I think fluted barrels look great.  I have the Bushmaster Modular Carbine with their fluted barrel and I routinely get positive comments from onlookers at the range.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Go with what YOU like best.  Fluting is an option that has both aesthetic and functional appeal, although the funtional benefits are limited.  Yes, flutes do aid in cooling and make the barrel stiffer than a non-fluted barrel of EQUAL WEIGHT, but I honestly doubt that accelerated cooling and increased stiffness make a big deal for most shooters.

Personally, I think fluted barrels look great.  I have the Bushmaster Modular Carbine with their fluted barrel and I routinely get positive comments from onlookers at the range.

BLouie....  did you flute under the handguards only?  or forward of the FS as well?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top