Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 1:27:50 PM EDT
I just recieved my new LMT upper, a 16" upper (NOT SBR).  But it is definitely a shorter barrel, how can I tell if the flash suppressor is permantently attached?  Does LMT do that?

Thanks.  I just hope I have the right part, as the invoice has the part listed for the 16" upper.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes the dealers on the EE offer LMT uppers that have permanently attached flash suppressors, which I think they do themselves, I don't think LMT offers anything like that. Only 10.5", 14.5",  and 16" all w/ A2s...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Do you think you ended up with the wrong product?  What FS is on the end of it right now?

It is an A2 FS.  But definitely not a full length 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
btt
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have the wrong bbl, call LMT immediately.  Our you allowed to own anything shorter than 16''?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Pix?

They do make a 14.5 and a 16 (as others have noted)

Where did you buy it?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Sunday, February 26, 2006

Hi Guys:

Who did you buy this Lewis Machine and Tool (LMT) upper from?  On the LMT Tool’s online product catalog, they offer their uppers with 10.5, 14.5, and 16-inch barrels.  LMT does not offer their 105 and 14.5 inch barreled uppers with permanently attached flash suppressors to artificially lengthen the barrel length to meet ATF requirements.

This act of selling uppers with permanently attached flash suppressors to artificially lengthen the barrel a business (legal) practice of dealers who purchase LMT uppers direct from LMT or other dealers.

Take Care…

MP5 Machinenpistole  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the input, I have the wrong upper.  Oh well, I will contact LMT and get it resolved.  I would be more annoyed, but my RRA lower isn't in yet.  I bought the upper straight from LMT, no dealer involved.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Measure your barrel from the front of the bolt face to the end of the barrel, not the flash suppressor.

If you got a 14.5" barrel and ordered a 16", contact the dealer you bought it from.

If it's a 14.5" and the FS is not permanently installed, and you have any AR-15 lower in the same premises you could be in violation of the law without any SBR paperwork.

It's hard to tell where they pinned and welded the FS normally in the threaded area of the barrel, specially if they did a good job of matching the surface and finish.

If you got a 14.5" and can't tell if it has a perm FS either take your new barrel or your AR(s) away from your residence to be safe.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the input, I have the wrong upper.  Oh well, I will contact LMT and get it resolved.  I would be more annoyed, but my RRA lower isn't in yet.  I bought the upper straight from LMT, no dealer involved.

Hold on...not so fast.

If you have a 10.5".........return it.

If you have the 14.5"-er, simply have one of the  Phantom or Vortex FH's permanently attached and you will be good to go.

I would prefer it over a 16, as would many/most AR enthusiasts - since it represents the current military configuration.

Since you do not have your lower yet, you are not in violation of any regulation/law (unless you have other lowers in the house)

This could be a blessing

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#11]
How is not getting what you ordered a blessing?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You don't know what was actually ordered. Was it an M4 upper? If so, a 14.5 'wth A2 would be shipped. You prior posts show your bias about LMT.

ETC: Correct Spelling
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Uh, you don't know what was ordered either.  However, you did take the time to read the part where the man said he got the "wrong upper" didn't you?  That tends to mean to me that he got the "wrong upper".  I simply asked how getting something you didn't order was a "blessing".  I call it a mistake.  This is a place for opinions, you have yours I have mine.  Some of you love LMT, some don't, some think them mediocre.  Redfisher thinks it's a "blessing" when LMT sends someone the "wrong upper".  I think it's a brain fart.  Hopefully, LMT paid his shipping both ways.  I guess one man's blessing is another's brain fart.   End of story, no need for tantrums which will surely follow because I dare state the obvious.

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't know what was actually ordered. Was it an M4 upper? If so, a 14.5 'wth A2 would be shipped. You prior posts show your bias about LMT.

ETC: Correct Spelling

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top