Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 11:27:35 PM EDT
I was taking off the front sight off my RRA rifle to replace it with my new flip front sight. and i finally got the pins out of the front sight, but then the gas tube is stuck in front sight. i tried holding the gas tube while hammering the front sight, but i only got maybe 2 cm out of the front sight. any suggestions? i was thinking about just getting a new gas tube, it's not much ($10). If I did get a new gas tube, do I just simply insert it into the front sight and the rifle and its done? thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
if it moves a little, it will more than likely move some more....hit it again

before you do that, try some CLP or grime remover--the carbon build up might have caked up and is holding it in place...

installing a new gas tube: get your bbl nut aligned w/ the upper reciver hole, insert the gas tube through the nut and reciver, slide it over on the front end and slip and align into the gas block
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Use vise grips and a hammer to get the gas tube out, plus some twisting and WD40.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:01:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was taking off the front sight off my RRA rifle to replace it with my new flip front sight. and i finally got the pins out of the front sight, but then the gas tube is stuck in front sight. i tried holding the gas tube while hammering the front sight, but i only got maybe 2 cm out of the front sight. any suggestions? i was thinking about just getting a new gas tube, it's not much ($10). If I did get a new gas tube, do I just simply insert it into the front sight and the rifle and its done? thanks guys!

OK,  I have to ask, because sometimes you just never know...  Did you remove roll pin that holds the gas tube in the FSB? I usually remove the gas tube roll pin first, and then the two taper pins that hold the FSB on.

Gene

ETA:   I read your post some more, since you already removed the taper pins from your FSB, you should be able to remove the FSB with the gas tube still installed with no problem. You might check to make sure your delta ring is aligned so that the gas tube will slide right out.

When you re-install everything, put the FSB back on with the taper pins. Then insert the gas tube into the upper receiver (remove your B & CH first) far enough to clear the fsb, then slide the gas tube into the FSB and then install the gas tube roll pin. If you have not checked the tacked threads in the build it yourself section, you should, they are a big help.

Gene
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:57:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Use either smooth jaw pliers or wrap tape around pliers when trying to yank the gas tube out. This may be a bit more difficult than using regular pliers but it prevents marring/cutting the gas tube. The tube heats up significantly and any deep cuts or scratches can weaken it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:00:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If I did get a new gas tube, do I just simply insert it into the front sight and the rifle and its done?

Punch the roll pin out... Dont yank, dont cut.... If you have done this then yank and cut away but it sounds like you have not if you are asking that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:11:49 AM EDT
[#6]
If you did this without removing that little roll pin, then YES, you need a new gas tube. If the tube moved 2cm with the pin in then it is probably screwed. Not a very costly part, thankfully.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#7]
do i NEED to install the taper pins back in? because i'm not putting the original front sight back on, i'm putting on a new one and it doesnt use taper pins.

also i knocked the the gas tube pin out and its still stuck.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#8]
For all the trouble your going through, just buy a new one to go with your new gas block.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I found the best way is to remove the upper and place it vertically, muzzle up, on a firm surface.  Take a pair of vice grips and grab the tube near the front sight base, firmly, but do not crush the tube.  Then use a hammer and strike the vice grips toward the upper.  Firm taps will work, may take 3-5, but it will come loose.  Also, make sure the bolt and carrier are out of the upper when you do this!!  Replacement is almost as easy.  Just make sure you put the end of the gas tube into the upper first, then the FSB/gas block.

Sarge
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 Sgt Mike. Thats how I do it when they get stuck. Just dont crush it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top