Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 5:45:39 AM EDT
If you guys were on a limited budget but still wanted a good quality AR-15, which would you buy and why. Complete guns, no build please. Are there any good ones around $500?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:00:39 AM EDT
[#1]
No.  Not that I can think of.  Take that $500 and buy a complete lower or buy a complete upper and then wait until you have enough for the other half.

Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:08:57 AM EDT
[#2]
You're not going to find a good quality new AR for $500. You can however get an excellent quality AR from Stag Arms for around $650.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:13:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You're not going to find a good quality new AR for $500. You can however get an excellent quality AR from Stag Arms for around $650.

good idea, Matt, or stake out the Equipment Exchange and pick up a used, but worthy AR for around that number.

You may have to buy upper and lowers seperately...........but that could have its advantages, in that you would be able to get any decent quality lower w/collapsible stock, and add the upper of your preference.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thanks. Could you post a link to the AR for around $650? The lowest I see is a RRA for around $ 789
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:15:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

good idea, Matt, or stake out the Equipment Exchange and pick up a used, but worthy AR for around that number.

Agreed. I alluded to a used AR by stating "new AR" but I wasn't specific.

You may have to buy upper and lowers seperately...........but that could have its advantages, in that you would be able to get any decent quality lower w/collapsible stock, and add the upper of your preference.
Also, it you buy uppers and lowers seperately (either from different vendors or at different times), you will avoid the 11% or so excise tax that is imposed on complete ARs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks. Could you post a link to the AR for around $650? The lowest I see is a RRA for around $ 789

The link is good. You need to scroll down the page and look at seperate Stag lowers and uppers. Sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I own a 16" A2 which I bought as separate halves. (Gunshow purchases)

Complete Bushmaster Lower with A2 stock         $300

Generic 16" Hbar A2 upper complete(with bolt etc.) $ 400

Total $700 Can't get much cheaper unless you go used.

Edit: IF you buy a generic Kit and a stripped Lower , you can brobably get down to $600
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Uh, did you read my posts in this thread? You can guy a brand new Stag Arms lower and upper for around $650.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:29:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The link is good. You need to scroll down the page and look at seperate Stag lowers and uppers. Sorry for the confusion.

Understood thanks. I have a Colt AR but this is for my friend who is just looking for his first AR. Having never put a upper & lower together, is it as simple as attaching the two pieces as I do when I take my Colt apart? Just the two pins to attached a upper and lower? Will all mfg. fit each other?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, did you read my posts in this thread? You can guy a brand new Stag Arms lower and upper for around $650.

What's your point?
For $50 more I got a Bushy Lower - and no Shipping or FFL transfer costs
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Understood thanks. I have a Colt AR but this is for my friend who is just looking for his first AR. Having never put a upper & lower together, is it as simple as attaching the two pieces as I do when I take my Colt apart? Just the two pins to attached a upper and lower? Will all mfg. fit each other?

Yes, it is that simple. All ARs lowers and uppers will fit each other, regardless of manufacturer though the "quality" of the fit (tightness or looseness) will vary somewhat between individual parts.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:37:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What's your point?
For $50 more I got a Bushy Lower - and no Shipping or FFL transfer costs

Seems that Stag is out of stock for lowers but great tip Matt, thanks!

AKsRule, how did you avoid FFL transfer costs? I thought all AR Complete Lowers need FFL transfer. No?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your point?  For $50 more I got a Bushy Lower - and no Shipping or FFL transfer costs

My point is your statement was incorrect based upon the information I posted. If you think a Bushmaster lower is any better than a Stag Arms lowers, then so be it. You're only paying for the name and there are hundreds of posts on these boards from very knowledgable members who would agree. The company that actually manfactures Stag Arms, CMT, is a sub-contractor that makes AR parts for many "big name" companies. As a matter of fact, I would not be surprised if they made lowers for Bushmaster.

Regarding the FFL transfer fee, that's ancilarry to the equation. Transfer fees vary greatly from FFL to FFL and it is possible that the person looking to purchase said AR could also buy the parts at a gunshow. Compare apples to apples.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Seems that Stag is out of stock for lowers but great tip Matt, thanks!

Well, that's only one dealer. Look around the EE here and see what you can find. If nothing else, knowing what a complete Stag Arms lower costs gives you a guideline by which you can judge the cost of other complete lowers.

how did you avoid FFL transfer costs? I thought all AR Complete Lowers need FFL transfer. No?
Lowers only incur an transfer fee if they are being shipped from to an FFL. If you are buying it directly from an FFL, they will not charge a transer fee.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:17:41 AM EDT
[#15]
DPMS Lower cost at gunshow-98.23
DPMS Lower part kit at gunshow-49.00
Stag M4 16" complete upper bought at gunshow- 451.74
6 pos stock at gunshow-60.00

Total $658.97

Built this over 4 months and haggled alittle on the prices. Goto the shows late on a Sunday. They seem to go down in price a little. The upper was bought with two other guys buying the same upper so he really cut us a deal. Dealer wanted I think 480 for a completed upper.

You could get it cheaper, but thats about rock bottom that I could find for a completed weapon. Thoses prices have tax included. Didnt get charged tax on the LPK or the stock. I paid cash. didnt get a receipt either. Highly doubt you can find a new completed weapon for $500. Build it yourself I loved the thrill of the hunt for finding a part for even cheaper. Iam all done now. I guess I have to start all over again and build another one. Oh poor, poor, me.    
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
DPMS Lower cost at gunshow-98.23
DPMS Lower part kit at gunshow-49.00
Stag M4 16" complete upper bought at gunshow- 451.74
6 pos stock at gunshow-60.00

Total $658.97

Built this over 4 months and haggled alittle on the prices. Goto the shows late on a Sunday. They seem to go down in price a little. The upper was bought with two other guys buying the same upper so he really cut us a deal. Dealer wanted I think 480 for a completed upper.

You could get it cheaper, but thats about rock bottom that I could find for a completed weapon. Thoses prices have tax included. Didnt get charged tax on the LPK or the stock. I paid cash. didnt get a receipt either. Highly doubt you can find a new completed weapon for $500. Build it yourself I loved the thrill of the hunt for finding a part for even cheaper. Iam all done now. I guess I have to start all over again and build another one. Oh poor, poor, me.    

Haven't really priced out uppers yet, but you can get RRA lower stuff off EE for the same price (plus transfer) and not have to wait or pay muliple gun show entrance fees.  Quicker and easier to me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Olympic Plinker can be have $550-600. here is one at $589:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976654087.htm

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#18]
There is no "building" involved in a build.   All the parts just snap together.  Buy a stripped lower for $100, and buy everything else online to avoid taxes.  That is the only way you are going to get a first quality rifle for the price you want.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
There is no "building" involved in a build.   All the parts just snap together.  Buy a stripped lower for $100, and buy everything else online to avoid taxes.  That is the only way you are going to get a first quality rifle for the price you want.  

Amen Brother! I'd rather pay tax on $130 or so than $600 and up.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top