Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2006 4:39:52 PM EDT
I recently had a squib with some of my XM855PD.  I had a pop but nothing happened so I stopped and checked the brass as I extracted it.  No bullet.  I looked down the barrel, and could see the base of the bullet at the front of the chamber.  NO OTHER ROUNDS WERE FIRED.  Took it home and used an old cleaning rod to remove the round from the bore.  I noticed that my barrel nut was loose, and that if I held the upper recever, and wiggled the FSB, the barrel nut and barrel would twist a little.  I removed my handgaurds, gas tube and re tightened the barrel nut, not having seen anything amiss.  My question is do you guys think the two are related, and is there any concern about the barrel?  It is an MOS 1-7 twist Chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see how a loose barrel nut could cause a squib load. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Like Charles said I don’t think the two are related, but……..the squib load was probably a sign from the AR Gods which lead you to the discovery of the loose barrel nut!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#3]
A squib load comes from a round with very little or NO powder in it.  The primer alone is strong enough to start the round down the barrel.  I don't see how one has anything to do with the other.  Good thing it happened or you would not know the barrel nut was loose.

MadDog
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]

My question is do you guys think the two are related, and is there any concern about the barrel?
 Nope.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I recently had a squib with some of my XM855PD.  I had a pop but nothing happened so I stopped and checked the brass as I extracted it.  No bullet.  I looked down the barrel, and could see the base of the bullet at the front of the chamber.  NO OTHER ROUNDS WERE FIRED.  Took it home and used an old cleaning rod to remove the round from the bore.  I noticed that my barrel nut was loose, and that if I held the upper recever, and wiggled the FSB, the barrel nut and barrel would twist a little.  I removed my handgaurds, gas tube and re tightened the barrel nut, not having seen anything amiss.  My question is do you guys think the two are related, and is there any concern about the barrel?  It is an MOS 1-7 twist Chrome lined barrel.

I had the exact same thing happen with XM193PD recently.  It is purely an ammo issue - the casing probably had little (if any) powder in it.

I've decided to not use PD ammo any longer - because I already sorted them by hand, and the time spent doing that isn't worth the money saved - expecially not with the risk of a squib.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top