Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 11:31:22 AM EDT
hers  It is easier to reply with anything to my email address, [email protected]  Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
There is no effective way to clear a building using a carbine one handed while holding a light.

Lesson learned after Katrina....6 D Mag Lights and ARs don't mix.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]
In order to change minds in your Department about the weapons Modifications ---you have 2 battle fronts to consider.

First is Liability : Everything revolves around this issue in some manner or another. So all of your arguments must attack this issue from their point of view. Does your proposed changes increase or decrease the dept’s. exposure to liability ? Can you prove your point with examples??  Go outside your dept. to other agencies and learn what they are doing that you like and use those facts as your proof. The more depts.. carrying weapons with these “add-ons” that you can document the better. Hit the safety issue hard. Each modification should increase safety in some manner if you hope to have it accepted.

I wrote a report for my agency urging the switch over from revolvers to semi-autos [ yes, I know a long time ago ] he
Bottom line: Demonstrate what OTHERS ARE DOING SAFELY……….with facts.

Second Training : Sort of relates back to the first issue. You must prove that training would be affected minimally ……….and where training changes would have to occur---show that the changes could be incorporated easily into the established program. Don’t be afraid to submit some training “lessons plans” with your request to allow for weapon accessories.

The more complete you make your report or request……..the better its chance of making it up the chain of command. All supervisors like to look good…..so if you offer them a nice , well written report that they can attach their name to………you are on your way to getting those very helpful accessories. Unfortunately it will take a lot of work to change minds…….just saying “ I sure would like to have a light mounted on my AR15” is not going to cut it. What seems like a no brain’er and common sense………..needs to be spelled out in painful detail to get the Brass to come on board. Wish it were different, but that is the real world.

JF.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Except for SWAT, we have to buy our own AR's.  The department dictates what brands can be used and limits us to 16-20 inch barrels.  We are required to have a light mounted to the rifle, but we can choose the brand and mounting location.  We must successfully complete a 100 yard qualifier at night with gun mounted lights alone.  We must also qualify with iron sights, but we can add our choice of electronic optics.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top