Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 6:37:00 AM EDT
I just weighed my rifle and it weighs 14.5 pounds without a magazine.  No wonder this thing felt so heavy.  Now I know how I got my hernia.    Back to lifting weights after the surgery.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:39:55 AM EDT
[#1]
nicebut I would lose the VFG
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:48:17 AM EDT
[#2]
You need to get one of those ABS carbon fiber barrels.  And yes, I agree with the previous post. The donkey's dick is probably unnecessary on that rifle.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Very Nice WEAPON
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thank you but what is the VFG
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vertical Forward or Front Grip
My 20" target gun is no where near as heavy as yours though so it might assist you in carrying that anvil
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Vertical Forward Grip
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:02:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh!  That thing was a b*tch to put on.  I don't know if I want to go through all the trouble to take it off.  I had to use a rubber hammer to put it on because the ot the YHM Handguard rails.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:05:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh!  That thing was a b*tch to put on.  I don't know if I want to go through all the trouble to take it off.  I had to use a rubber hammer to put it on because the ot the YHM Handguard rails.

Interesting. My carbine has a YHM 4 rail like yours but the metal VFG goes on and off easily. Is your VFG polymer or metal?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:15:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting. My carbine has a YHM 4 rail like yours but the metal VFG goes on and off easily. Is your VFG polymer or metal?

It is the Tangodown VFG.  It is Polymer.  I also had a hard time putting on my ARMS SIR System when I had it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#10]
the bull bbl. might be a reason why
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It is the Tangodown VFG.  It is Polymer.  I also had a hard time putting on my ARMS SIR System when I had it.

yep, that'll do it. I had a Samco that was polymer(also a POS). Needed a mallet to intall it but just a few light taps moved it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep, that'll do it. I had a Samco that was polymer(also a POS). Needed a mallet to intall it but just a few light taps moved it.

Believe me, I had to give it more than a few light taps to try and get it on the SIR System  I eventually decided to put a YHM Scope riser on the bottom of the SIR and then the FVG on the YHM.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#13]
What distances/purposes do you use that rifle for?

Unless you're shooting past 500 or 600 yards, I'm thinking you could re-barrel or re-profile/shorten the existing one without losing any real performance.  You should be able to get the same performance out of a 9 - 10 pound rifle.

With the incredible accuracy potential in the match AR barrels available, I've not seen many applications for a true "bull barrel".
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Unless you're shooting past 500 or 600 yards, I'm thinking you could re-barrel or re-profile/shorten the existing one without losing any real performance.  You should be able to get the same performance out of a 9 - 10 pound rifle.

With the incredible accuracy potential in the match AR barrels available, I've not seen many applications for a true "bull barrel".

At the range I go, the maximum distance is 300 yards.  And if I change to a 20" barrel, I don't think it would make that much of a difference, maybe 1LB.  It would be nice to have the 18" Barrel, but I would need new handguard system.

Right now, I just use it to practice to get in some competition matches with it and practice shooting because I eventually would like to try out for Sniper on the SWAT team if everything goes as planned for me this year.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At the range I go, the maximum distance is 300 yards.  And if I change to a 20" barrel, I don't think it would make that much of a difference, maybe 1LB.  It would be nice to have the 18" Barrel, but I would need new handguard system.

Right now, I just use it to practice to get in some competition matches with it and practice shooting because I eventually would like to try out for Sniper on the SWAT team if everything goes as planned for me this year.

Oh no, changing to a 20" HBAR rather than your 24" BULL barrel will shave of a FEW pounds, not just 1.  18" barrels come in both rifle and mid-length configurations.  Even with a mid-length gas system, a low profile gas block would fit under your current HG setup.

Swapping barrels would make a HUGE difference in the weight, and very little if any difference in accuracy.

Heck, at 300 yards, a 16" barrel would be plenty.

And as for trying out for sniper, it's the marksmanship you learn using a rifle, not the length of the barrel on that rifle that will matter.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I know.  I should have gotten a shorter barrel, but I just don't feel like spending any more money or time switching things out.  I'll just have to live with it.  "What won't kill me will only make me stronger."  LOL.  At least that is what our Drill Instructor used to tell us when I was in the Army.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#17]
How accurate would a 20" Stainless steel Barrel with 1X8 Twist be compared to the 24" Bull Barrel?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#18]
barrel length doesnt  really effect accuracy in theory a shorter barrel should be more accurate as it is stiffer
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I know.  I should have gotten a shorter barrel, but I just don't feel like spending any more money or time switching things out.  I'll just have to live with it.  "What won't kill me will only make me stronger."  LOL.  At least that is what our Drill Instructor used to tell us when I was in the Army.  

Wrong living with it is not the AR forum way you must build another rifle to meet your new need as you will aquire more the more you play with BRD

Trust me I just ordered my second upper to go on the new lower i just built, and now realize I will need another shorter AR which I will need to build it never ends.

My first Rifle is a BM 24" Vmatch about 13lbs loaded.
My second rifle is an A2 Upper 20HBAR 1/7 and a fresh built Ameetec Lower built up with BM LPK and A2 buttstock.

My third will be a 16-18" Mid lenth Rifle.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
How accurate would a 20" Stainless steel Barrel with 1X8 Twist be compared to the 24" Bull Barrel?

Probably almost identical.  You only get more velocity out of a 24" barrel over a 20" barrel...

TS
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#21]
My A2 is right about a pound heavier than that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 24" really BBL on my DPMS Panther and I wouldn't change it for anything else.
I'm just back from the range with my reloads (43.3gr IMR4895 + Hornady 165gr BT-SST), and that thing is a frigging surgeon Getting rid of the stock 7lbs trigger (in favour of a 2lbs Jard) and using reloads instead of surplus, made a whole bunch of difference from an accuracy POV.
The word skinny, while working great before the word gals, is a no-no before the word barrel IMO

- Ice

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a 24" really BBL on my DPMS Panther and I wouldn't change it for anything else.
I'm just back from the range with my reloads (43.3gr IMR4895 + Hornady 165gr BT-SST), and that thing is a frigging surgeon Getting rid of the stock 7lbs trigger (in favour of a 2lbs Jard) and using reloads instead of surplus, made a whole bunch of difference from an accuracy POV.
The word skinny, while working great before the word gals, is a no-no before the word barrel IMO

I think I agree with you, HotIce.  I am afraid to give up the accuracy.  That is why I got this barrel.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The donkey's dick is probably unnecessary on that rifle.

Agreed.  "Remove the donkey dick, you should..."
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:04:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

but, but, but, I like the donkey dick on it.    It helps me hold it up.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:27:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
the bull bbl. might be a reason why

bull bbl + 24'' lenght

btw, very nice weapon!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Why?  He needs it to lift the rifle!

My 20" is at 14 pounds unloaded without a scope!

I added an ARMS VFG just to help hold it up!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  He needs it to lift the rifle!

My 20" is at 14 pounds unloaded without a scope!

I added an ARMS VFG just to help hold it up!

Yes, thank you.  I made my decision.  "Donkey Dick stay on it should."  (Quote from Yoda).  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

but, but, but, I like the donkey dick on it.    It helps me hold it up.  

Thats what I was thinking!

If it works for you then don't think about it!

P.S. Looks good to me!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Well I decided to order a Rock River Arms 18" Varminter A4 Upper with the YHM Midlength system.  Even if it isn't that much lighter, it will be a hell of a lot shorter.  I just hope the wife won't kill me .  If you don't hear from me on this site, it was nice talking to you guys.  LOL    Just kiddin'
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a 20 Bull on mine and it is not just heavy, but with the folding rear stock it is horribly balanced. I have none of the pimp-gear on the target gun, I saved that for the carbine, but I imagine your 24" with the bipod and DD is even more front heavy.

The bad balance doesn't matter much for bench work but shooting offhand is a joke. I was considering a solid rear stock with the counterweight but feared a 18-pound weapon.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I have a 20 Bull on mine and it is not just heavy, but with the folding rear stock it is horribly balanced. I have none of the pimp-gear on the target gun, I saved that for the carbine, but I imagine your 24" with the bipod and DD is even more front heavy.

The bad balance doesn't matter much for bench work but shooting offhand is a joke. I was considering a solid rear stock with the counterweight but feared a 18-pound weapon.

Hopefully this will even out the weight.  It is definitely front heavy.  But I love the accuracy.  I don't want to give up the bull barrel.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#34]
10" Fluted HBAR 1.5
10" HBAR 1.6
11.5" (A1 profile - XM177 type) 1.3
11.5" Fluted HBAR 1.6
11.5" HBAR 1.8
14.5" M4 1.6
14.5" M4A1 (heavier under the handguards) 1.8
14.5" Fluted HBAR 1.8
14.5" HBAR 2.1
16" Super Light Weight (A1 type) 1.5
16" M4 1.8
16" Mid Length (Govt Profile under handguards) 1.6
16" Medium Profile (0.75" for entire length) 1.8
16" Medium Profile MRP Barrel (includes gas block & gas tube) 2.3
16" Fluted HBAR 2.1
16" HBAR 2.3
16" M4 Dissapator 1.9
16" Fluted HBAR Dissapator 2.2
16" HBAR Dissapator 2.6
20" 'Pencil' (A1) Profile 1.8
20" Govt (A2) Profile 2.1
20" Fluted HBAR 2.6
20" HBAR 3.1
24" Fluted HBAR 2.7
24" HBAR 3.5

These weights do not include handguard cap, flash supressor, barrel nut & associate hardware. Weights are in pounds.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
10" Fluted HBAR 1.5
10" HBAR 1.6
11.5" (A1 profile - XM177 type) 1.3
11.5" Fluted HBAR 1.6
11.5" HBAR 1.8
14.5" M4 1.6
14.5" M4A1 (heavier under the handguards) 1.8
14.5" Fluted HBAR 1.8
14.5" HBAR 2.1
16" Super Light Weight (A1 type) 1.5
16" M4 1.8
16" Mid Length (Govt Profile under handguards) 1.6
16" Medium Profile (0.75" for entire length) 1.8
16" Medium Profile MRP Barrel (includes gas block & gas tube) 2.3
16" Fluted HBAR 2.1
16" HBAR 2.3
16" M4 Dissapator 1.9
16" Fluted HBAR Dissapator 2.2
16" HBAR Dissapator 2.6
20" 'Pencil' (A1) Profile 1.8
20" Govt (A2) Profile 2.1
20" Fluted HBAR 2.6
20" HBAR 3.1
24" Fluted HBAR 2.7
24" HBAR 3.5

These weights do not include handguard cap, flash supressor, barrel nut & associate hardware. Weights are in pounds.

Wow, I didn't know flutting will reduce that much weight.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quit whining about your rediculously overweight rifle that you wont make lighter!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Heavy??  Try a State Arms .50 bmg........thats "heavy". After lugging one of them around, everything else seems featherweight.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Quit whining about your rediculously overweight rifle that you wont make lighter!

I am not whinning...any more.  I just ordered an 18" RRA upper.  .  Anyone interested in a Bushmaster 24" upper with YHM Quadrail?  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Now that sir, is an awfully sexy beast.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top