Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 5:22:54 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting one of the lightweight free float railed handguards from YHM to put on a 20" rifle. I'd like to mount a scope so that the front scope ring is one the handguard and the rear scope ring is on the upper receiver. Would the handguard be stable enough to hold zero with a scope mounted on part of it?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If the handguard is on the right way I don't see any problems. But why would you want to do that ?
Just put both scope rings in the receiver and you will not have any problems even if your FF tube does happen to come  loose.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If the handguard is on the right way I don't see any problems. But why would you want to do that ?
Just put both scope rings in the receiver and you will not have any problems even if your FF tube does happen to come  loose.

Invisiblesoul

+1 If it isn't installed right it can be cockeyed or come loose. Better off just using the rail on the upper.
ETA: There is also the possibility of heat transfer from a hot barrel. No need to subject the sight to unnecessary stress.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:51:55 AM EDT
[#3]
At the moment, I've got both rings mounted on the upper receiver (as far forward as I can get it), and I'm finding that the eye releif is too long to get a comfortable position, which is why I was looking at getting the optic moved forward more.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:57:04 AM EDT
[#4]
you can try it. Just make sure that FF is solidly mounted and straight.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#5]
get a rail extender or cantilever mount.

the yhm is super hard to align and even though it seems straight it is not. also after some use the tube can and probably will torque and destroy your scope. yhm has plenty of different rails in which you can use. i suggest looking into it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top