Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 10:37:26 AM EDT
I don't want to break the law... but how am I supposed to perform work on my AR upper (i.e. free float hand guard, gas block, fsb, and cleaning with FF tube installed) with a permanently attached flash hider?

Do I have to cut it off and add a new one each time?  Could I just put a bunch of red loctite?  Would anyone actually inspect my flash hider with a torch and wnrech to see if they could remove it?  I don't want to break any laws but I want to know how do I clean and install parts.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a 16" barrel and you dont need to permanently attached anything, Less than 16" barrel and it has to be permanently attached.  Simpe as that, if you want to change you FSB on a 14.5" with perm FS then you have to cut it off and start over with a new perm FS.  The only other way is to Register it as a short barrel rifle on a Form 1 and then you wont need to perm the FS.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Get a 16" barrel and you dont need to permanently attached anything, Less than 16" barrel and it has to be permanently attached.  Simpe as that, if you want to change you FSB on a 14.5" with perm FS then you have to cut it off and start over with a new perm FS.  The only other way is to Register it as a short barrel rifle on a Form 1 and then you wont need to perm the FS.

Seeing how this is CA, I guess I will be required to chop it off and add a new one :-/
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Spend the $200 on the SBR stamp if you dont want to have to put on a new flash hider exerytime you swap rail systems etc.

Oh you are in Cali... cant do that.  Red Locktite or any chemical adhesive is spefically not allow for perm install.

I suggest moving to a free state but that is just me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#4]
don't come to the "peoples republic of illinois" run by the dishonorable richard j daley (mayor) and his puppet governer rod blagoivich. they are about to purpose an all out ban on semi-auto guns. God help us citizens of illinois
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
don't come to the "peoples republic of illinois" run by the dishonorable richard j daley (mayor) and his puppet governer rod blagoivich. they are about to purpose an all out ban on semi-auto guns. God help us citizens of illinois

jesus christ!  That is extreme! (said like an announcer for a monster truck event X-TREEEEME)

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]
and to think of all of the great manufacturers in the commy sountry of illinois.  what will they all do

Brett
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#7]
If you decide to go perm attached, make sure you have everything you want installed first.  If you think you might want to change the FSB with a gas block, put what you want on there.  decide on a dedicated muzzle device, and free float it before you attach the muzzle device forever.

If you think you might change the weapon around, plan on having more than 1 upper so you can have the shorter barrel, but the different options you want.

I use midlengths for my accessorized uppers.  Any perm installs will not be accesorized for me...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top