Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/25/2006 4:43:02 PM EDT
Any thoughts on which is the best rail system out there, including both free and non-free floating?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=172238

This helped me. It a sticky on one of the forums....hope it helps you too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=172238

I know I am lazy, but you guys won't even make the link hot for him..

cqbdoc10-  "Best" tends to have different conotations, and is going to be up to the individual.  For me, light weight is a priority as I often one hand the weapon while doing clearing and searching.  Other people really don't care about weight as they are either studs, or they don't hump a gun. I'll let them make their stud claims.

I run a Daniel Defense as it is the lightest weight FF unit available.  For 2 piece non-free floating rails, I use a YHM 2 piece.  Its cheap, and works well.  For what I do, I find these "the best".  

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#5]
FF are personal preference, and since I only have two, I can tell you this:
1. I purchased the Larue 7.0 becuase it was highly recommended on this site.
2. I purchased a YHM Lightweight because it was cheap, and light.

I think I will stick with FF as if I am going to put a rail system on my AR, it might as well serve more purpose then just something to hang bling.

O/T
Hey Stickman, don't you have a pic of a FF from the barrel view/perspective....I am trying to find that pic.  All I remember is that the FF was pretty narrow on the 3 and 9 oclock rails.  I was trying to find that FF and was going to ask who made it.

Can you post a pic.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I just put my MI (Midwest Industries) Two piece on my A3 and it is staady as a rock!  Wonderful product.  I also have the Magpu panels on it.  Very nice.

I Bought the rail from Bravo Company.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yes.

ETA: I've heard good stuff about MI rail systems. Heard they're tight and don't rattle at all. That's what I plan on getting (if I get a rail system...which I'm really leaning towards for an M4 build).
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Samson rails also seem to be holding up well for people, but I do not have extended time with them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Samson rails also seem to be holding up well for people, but I do not have extended time with them.

And these offer the continual rail/flat top look some people are looking for.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

We should start hearing more about them since they are now the substitute standard for KAC units with Big Army and are being shipped out in numbers.
BTW-nice avatar.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Ahhh, thankyou.  I have no Photoshop skills, and can not take credit for it.  Whisper_44 felt bad for me and made it after he heard people were swiping my pictures.  Someone else had already taken pity on me and developed a logo for my pics, so I am using this one as an avatar instead.

The short version is that I suck, and people feel bad for me...  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes.

ETA: I've heard good stuff about MI rail systems. Heard they're tight and don't rattle at all. That's what I plan on getting (if I get a rail system...which I'm really leaning towards for an M4 build).

+1

Looking to buy one now as a matter of fact.  Bravo Company USA has a deal on the MI and YHM atm.  I read up on the rail systems ALOT... don't really want to mess with the FF, or the price.  I mainly just want the rails to hang a flashlight on and possibly a VFG at a later time.

MI = $129 (cheaper if you hook up one in the EE)
YHM = $109 (cheaper if you hook one up in the EE)

Troy, DD, Larue, KAC = $$$ (as well as FF feature), but if you read any of the topics on this board, they come highly, highly recommended for FF rails.

As I said, I do not have personal experience, just that I have determined what I need a rail system for, read up on it extensively, and chose to go with the MI.

G'luck to you in your choice and welcome to the site!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had the FIRSH on my carbine for a couple years and it's been rock solid. I have a KAC vertical foregrip and panels, Surefire, and optic mounted on it. I have shot the shit out of the gun and use always use the VFG, and the red dot is still dead on. It is a one piece FF unit and a hell of deal, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have had the FIRSH on my carbine for a couple years and it's been rock solid. I have a KAC vertical foregrip and panels, Surefire, and optic mounted on it. I have shot the shit out of the gun and use always use the VFG, and the red dot is still dead on. It is a one piece FF unit and a hell of deal, IMO.

Same for me.  FIRSH is the only rail I have experience with, but I have had no problems with it at all.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Any thoughts on which is the best rail system out there, including both free and non-free floating?

The best rail system in my experience with mine are:

Free floating: LaRue 9.0 (they also have 7.0, 12.0 & 13.2 sizes)

Non-free floating: KAC M4 RAS (they also have the M5 RAS rifle model)

For a two piece free floating rail system type that the barrel nut doesn't have to be removed for installation, Samson MRFS-M (9") and MRFS-R (12") are great.

I don't have the Troy two piece free floating rail system but it cost less than the Samson because it includes three rail panels.

My personal preference is the LaRue (all models) because they have a locking design that locks the ring, barrel nut and the rail with two machine screws and a plate bracket which prevents the rails from getting loose.

I also don't have the Daniel Defense but I'm considering it for my future lightweight AR build, they are among the lightest of the rail systems in the market.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#16]
LaRue is the way to go
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:24:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I am very pleased with the MidWest 2pc. railed handguards I put on my DPMS.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same for me.  FIRSH is the only rail I have experience with, but I have had no problems with it at all.  

Used a FIRSH on my duty weapon for a few years when they first came out.  It was heavy, but built like a tank and never had any issues.  It is a quality unit, but lacks name/ snob appeal.  Excuse the poor quality picture......

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the great advice.  I think that I have it narrowed down to the daniel defense and the troy mounts.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Used a FIRSH on my duty weapon for a few years when they first came out.  It was heavy, but built like a tank and never had any issues.  It is a quality unit, but lacks name/ snob appeal.  Excuse the poor quality picture......

www.airforcesecuritypolice.com/invisionboard/uploads/post-3-1077169235.jpg

The FIRSH is a good unit, and right now Holland Gunworks has them on sale for cheaper than most 2 piece railed handguards
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Stick, I had a friend who ran a FIRSH when they first came out.  It was demonstrated to him that the early models tended to rotate quite easily, a problem that the manufacturer was aware of.  Aparently, they finally made a few changes and the current product is OK, if a little heavy.  My buddy, with my help, got his dick skinners on a DD, and all is now well in his world.  The URX is perhaps the only rail lighter than the DD, and most of us know how hard they are to get.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:08:27 AM EDT
[#22]
For you other Daniel Defense rail owners..........

can you use the EOTech (the longer one) easily? I am debating the EOTech/Aimpoint thing for one of mine, and I wasn't sure if the EO can be mounted forward given the interruption between the rail and upper.

TIA

on topic:

My rail choices would be one from any of the following makers

KAC (a couple great ones)
Daniel Defense
Larue
Troy
Samson

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:18:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I owuld say Larue is the only way to go for a free-float system.  I prefer Knight's for my two-piece rails.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top