Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/22/2006 4:39:29 PM EDT
Thinkin' about getting some magazine clamps to clamp together 30 round mags.

Because I know almost nothing about them, and there are several different types, and lots of different prices, I figured I post some questions.

1) Are they all pretty much the same, or has anyone had any bad experiences with any of them?

2) Do some damage the magazines? Or are they all okay?

3) Any good deals that you know about on some you've used and like?

Thanks. Any feedback is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The mag cinch are pretty much top of the line when it comes to clamping mags together.  However, I had a set, and found them to be finicky.  If not tweaked just right... when I swapped the mags, I was unable to seat the left one as the right one was a tad to high and would jam up against the dust cover door.  Redi mag has a new version out that may be a lot better.  It allows you to drop the mag in the magwell, without releasing the spare one held alongside.  Personally... thats the way I would go.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a Redi-mag.  They are about $85, and they mount on your lower.  It holds one mag in it, and releases it when you depress the mag release.  All you do is grasp both mags, activate the mag release and pull the mags out, shift over and load the full mag, then put the empty away.  you can then put a full mag back in the redi-mag.  or wait til you have a chance and load one later.  It's good because you don't have to get multiple clamps, and you can use the same mag pouches.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
whats the difference between the redi-mag and the redi-mag 'quick attach' other than the $10 difference?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Empty shell casing and electrical tape.  

(Shoelaces are also a cheaper version of magpuls, and they work just as well, or better)
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#5]
The Israeli metal magazine clips are the best I have tried, all the plastic ones I have tried slipped.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not sure, I have the quick attach, and have no complaints.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The Israeli metal magazine clips are the best I have tried, all the plastic ones I have tried slipped.

Where did you buy those?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:28:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Do you mean these?
Dual Clip Holder For M16 Rifle Magazines
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:22:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you mean these?

I have one of those.  Holds 'em nice and tight.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:42:43 AM EDT
[#10]
These are suppost to be V. N. era type holders. I have a couple and they are SHxT.
Mags are always slipping and slidding. I do like the ones from Buffer Tec.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The Israeli metal magazine clips are the best I have tried

I like them too.  I add a little 100 mph tape to secure the mags in position per Lumpy196.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:45:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you mean these?

Those are the ones.

Bob
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I have both mag cinchs and Fobus magazine couplers. Both work very well and are reliable. I see a potential for the Fobus to possibly crack if dropped, especially during cold weather but I have dropped mine with both magazines fully loaded*on accident* without breakage. IMO, these are the two best. I use the Fobus to hold two magazines full of 75 grain TAP in my M4gery HD gun.
Just remember, when using mag couplers, remember to keep them offset. The magazine on the right will need to be slightly lower so ejected casings don't jam your weapon and so you can manipulare your dust cover. Also, with the Fobus, its possible to over-tighten the screws and cause binding. I woldn't reccomend using an empty brass case and 100 mph tape. While this is certainly field expedient, its just not necssarily dependible. I can't recall the prices of the Fobus or Mag Cinch, but I belive the Fobus is slightly less....they both do the same thing, and very well so its a matter of personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Invert one and duct tape?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I had the First Samco mag clamp for about 3 months.

During a training drill, the dual mag setup was dropped and it broke.

I really dont care for anything made of plastic, especially when on duty.

I now carry HK GENII mags, clamped together using the MAG GRIP.

It is VERY solid and is all machined metal, perfect fit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a first Samco and the mags slip no matter how tight it is.Just seems overall flimsy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:20:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you mean these?

Those are the ones.

Bob

Thanks. Maybe I'll grab some of those. The price is right.

Tape 'em as per Lumpy's suggestion?

Someone want to explain that or post a link?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#19]
the hell with all that crap!

get a redi-mag!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

get a redi-mag!

are there any down sides to the redi-mag?

I like the idea of not cinching my mags together if they have to go in pouches..
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

get a redi-mag!

I like the idea of not cinching my mags together if they have to go in pouches..

I have one and like it more than anything else.  I wrote this last year; maybe it'll help you as a resource: Redi-Mag review.   It's a wee bit opinionated towards the end, but I'm hoping it'll help make your decision a bit easier.
Aaron,
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#23]
whenever I think of redi-mags, or Mag-cinch  products, I cannot help but think of this classic SIG photo. (although I think these inter-lock)

must be a heavy mother
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

get a redi-mag!

the only thing I would change about the Redimag is that there is no Bolt release extention/button
so that you can keep muscle memory on when speed reloading.  but you can make an extention button yourself which is what I did....it just has to be very lightweight or the bolt wont lock to the rear after last round
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I know you guys are saying the RediMag is the best but what about the MagCinch? I just bought one off the EE and it is'nt here yet. Any down sides to it? Will it work but not as well as the RediMag?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

the only thing I would change about the Redimag is that there is no Bolt release extention/button
so that you can keep muscle memory on when speed reloading.  but you can make an extention button yourself which is what I did....it just has to be very lightweight or the bolt wont lock to the rear after last round

I bought mine a little over a year ago and came with a bolt catch extension that works perfectly.  I don't know how recent an addition it was to their product line, but I recommend you check it out.  It's way expensie by itself, but when you buy it with the Redi-Mag, it's cheaper.

Bolt catch extension
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd been using mag clamps until recently when I picked up a redi-mag off the EE.  I was hesitant about the redi-mag because I'm a lefty, but after having it on there a couple of weeks and practicing mag changes I'm sold.  The new mag change routine was easy to learn, works great and it's fast.  I'm not that worried about speed reloads, it's always having a spare loaded mag with the rifle, much like a riot gun's side saddle shell carrier, that's important to me.  Being a lefty I work the bolt release with my left forefinger, so that didn't change.  The redi-mag keeps the spare mag on the rifle, keeps it protected and the swap is quick and sure after a little practice.  It's also well made and works exactly as advertised.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#29]
There's one problem with these set-ups I discovered while shooting 3-gun. The recoil from the first 30 rounds frequently urges the first round in the second magazine forward so that when you are ready to change magazines you have a round sticking out a half an inch or so. This makes it pretty difficult to get the mag in the weapon without stopping to fix the problem, which slows things up a bit. Practicing fast mag changes once in a while has given me better results.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#30]

I know you guys are saying the RediMag is the best but what about the MagCinch? I just bought one off the EE and it is'nt here yet. Any down sides to it? Will it work but not as well as the RediMag?

Anyone...?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Well this may take this thread in the wrong direction BUT, I've observed several people have issues with Redi-mags, Mag cinch, and Beta-C mags and I've always wondered why..? Why..? In my humble opinion the addition of another thirty rounds of weight and the fumble-prone device that secures it may be a bad idea all together. I can see no real difference in speed between the use of such a device and rigging a speed reload pouch ( open top for quick access unlike more secure regular pouches ) on your L.B.V. or web belt. I use an open top Eagle pouch on my web gear just behind my pistol mags and it's very quick. My other mags are in more secure pouches on my vest so I don't loose them in a run, jump, fall on my ass scenerio. The other option I've had luck with is the extra thirty rounder in a pouch on the stock of the rifle. It keeps a reload on the gun ( if this is a concern ) but doesn't make the gun as unbalanced in my opinion. As for Beta-C mags I've heard they are reliable but I've witnessed the contrary and one of those times was in a gun fight (not my own) so I'll trust well tested 20 and 30 rounders downloaded by two each..
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Well I beg to differ---

Example:  
-My average transistion time is from timer "beep", drop, draw, and fire first shot is 0.90 second.  
-My reload from a belt mounted kydex mag holder is: "beep", draw, insert, slap, and fire is 1.30 seconds on average.
-My speed reload with the ready mag is: "beep" grab/press, move, and slap is 1.10 on average .

Time is Life for me in my job and I have found the Redimag the fastest way to get back in the fight.  

For tactical reloads it is the best.

Example: your engaging and get a quick lull or good cover, you then Tac or Speed reload and get back in the fight and when you get another second you then reload you Redimag so your primary is always up.

Another note on puoches, pouches are great but if you have ever been in a firefight you tend to loose track of Mags here and there so if you constantly upload your redimag you will always has ammo at the ready....this is combat proven by the way...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#33]
I can't argue your point when it comes to fractions of a second since the spare mag is a half inch from the magwell where it needs to be. I agree that time is the constant we are all judged by. BUT, this holds true in all areas of gun craft. I too speak from experience and though the reload for the redi mag user may be a fraction of a second quicker, the sword is double edged when it comes to weapons handling. It is my experience that a lighter M4 is quicker to the target and quicker to hit accurately with. I'd prefer to have a gun thats quicker to move with and bring to bear on a target. The weight is also aparent when transitioning between aiming at multiple targets. To me SPEED for the first 28 is paramount rather than cutting a fraction off my reload. Don't get me wrong I respect your point, but you must admitt that the current trend to bolt as much cool stuff to the weapon system as it will hold slows the operators ability to react with the weapon naturally......
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top