Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 5:44:15 PM EDT
If I have a M4 and I wanted a Midlength, can I just take off the front sight, gas tube,handgaurds and replace them all with the midlength gas tube and handgaurds and then get a new front sight?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#1]
NO!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
NO!

care to explain why? im not being a smart asz i am just  interested. I dont really know what makes the M4 the M4. if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]
because there is a gas port, (small hole) in the barrel under the front sight, thats where the gas comes from that travels in the gas tube to cycle the action. Moving all that would just give you a single shot rifle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Youre gas port is already drilled for car lenght. You need a new barrel drilled with the gas port drilled the proper distance for mid lenght. The gas port is the little hole under the front sight base that lets gas go down the gas tube.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
because there is a gas port, (small hole) in the barrel under the front sight, thats where the gas comes from that travels in the gas tube to cycle the action. Moving all that would just give you a single shot rifle.

AWW I get it now, now its clearer how the weapon works to me..  so ill just plug that hole and drill a new one>>>JUST KIDDING...

thanks..
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:59:08 PM EDT
[#7]
What about getting the gas block that Bushmaster uses on the Dissipator and putting that under the mid length handguards?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#9]
it would still be a CAR gas system
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top