Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 11:49:49 AM EDT
Looking for some new shooting glasses. Recommendations would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#1]
i just use work safety glasses
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Revision sawfly..ballistic glasses with great optical quality..
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
ESS Ice Shields !
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 ESS ICE.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I also just use work safety glasses
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

What type of shooting?  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Wiley X Romer II-  Check em out, come with3 different lenses.

Wiley X Homepage

I love these things.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I wear a pair of Wiley X CQC Goggles when shooting.

Nathan
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got a good deal on a set of NIB Oakley M Frames... While I wouldn't reccomend spending full price on them, they're a good set.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#10]
if you have any self respect you'll get Oakleys
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Oakley M frames with the 3 lens shooting array set.  You will need nothing else.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Anything is better then nothing, me I use my Ocean Waves that have my Rx on them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Revision sawfly..ballistic glasses with great optical quality..

Big +1

If you have Rx, you can get inserts that work great.  Kit comes with 3 lenses too; clear, yellow, sunglasses.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Oakley M frames with a clear lens. You can fire an AR without a charging handle and you won't even notice the extra gas in your face.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I went with some Beretta glasses at the local gun shop. They fit me well and are pretty reasonably priced.
Thanks for the replys.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Been issued ESS, Wiley and Oakley.  Personel preferance is for the Oakleys, however any of the 3 will work, on a side note Wiley fog like crazy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Oakley M frames with the 3 lens shooting array set.  You will need nothing else.

I agree.  Your eyes are worth nothing less than the best, and that is Oakley.  This isn't Koolaide and it's not theoretical, Oakley has the highest impact/shatter resistance and offers you the best protection.  Don't risk your eyesight to anything less.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I agree.  Your eyes are worth nothing less than the best, and that is Oakley.  This isn't Koolaide and it's not theoretical, Oakley has the highest impact/shatter resistance and offers you the best protection.  Don't risk your eyesight to anything less.

Don't buy into the hype. Oakley makes good glasses but they're nothing special. Any glass you buy that meets ANSI specs will provide the same level of protection. For example....

$5.95

"These eye glasses have shatter resistant polycarbonate lens that exceed ANSI Z87.1 Standards. Use anywhere safety glasses are required."

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=13037&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=16233&training=

It doesn't matter what you choose as long as they meet ANSI specs, fit you well and most importantly.......you wear them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Wiley X's work well. here are some before and after photos of an IED in Iraq.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I use regular safety glasses.  The Oakleys are super nice but protection wise I believe they are rated to  ANSI Z87.1 standards but have not read anything about their certification.  I believe that standard is fine for shooting and all safety glasses meet it.  
I used some Genesis model safety glasses which are rated to a military standard which is offers more protection than the standard ANSI Z87.1.

http://www.uvex.com/products/products2.asp?id=24
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't buy into the hype. Oakley makes good glasses but they're nothing special. Any glass you buy that meets ANSI specs will provide the same level of protection. For example....

$5.95
www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/products/150000787_large.jpg
"These eye glasses have shatter resistant polycarbonate lens that exceed ANSI Z87.1 Standards. Use anywhere safety glasses are required."

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=13037&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=16233&training=

It doesn't matter what you choose as long as they meet ANSI specs, fit you well and most importantly.......you wear them.

Dont buy into the "just as good as Oakley" hype either.  I have both the Smith&Wesson glassses pictured and Oakley M frames both with clear lenses.  The Smiths were left in my trunk in  the range bag for a week.  When I pulled them out they had oxidised and turned a frosty off yellow color.  That is not to say Oakleys are perfect as the clears suffer from internal reflections in the lens and in a dim room looking at bright objects you get ghosting of light areas.  Still my Oakleys are my best shooting glasses.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$5.95
www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/products/150000787_large.jpg

Dont buy into the "just as good as Oakley" hype either.  I have both the Smith&Wesson glassses pictured and Oakley M frames both with clear lenses.  The Smiths were left in my trunk in  the range bag for a week.  When I pulled them out they had oxidised and turned a frosty off yellow color.  That is not to say Oakleys are perfect as the clears suffer from internal reflections in the lens and in a dim room looking at bright objects you get ghosting of light areas.  Still my Oakleys are my best shooting glasses.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't get me wrong, my point was ANSI specs are either met or they're not. Just like OSHA compliance or UL approval. It's a pass or fail system. The S&W $5 pair may or may not last as long but the lenses will stop everything the Oakley's will. My wife works in the medical field and has access to an optical shop as a perk of a multi doctor practice. I've seen the markup on frames and lenses and it's astronomical. I can buy RayBans and Oakleys ( or Cazal and Gucci for the wife) for prices you wouldn't believe. If you need good glasses due to prescription issues or as a result of a hi speed low drag job type I could see dropping big bucks. But for the dude that stands still on the line at an indoor range and pops paper it's far from necessary. But what the hell, so is half the shit we buy to feed the gun habit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I would say the $100 for M frames is not a good deal.  The dealer price or getting the Si M frames are well worth the $50 for a pair.  Still they are not 10X better than the Smiths but they are certainly better in every conceiveable way including fit, comfort, retention on my noggin, etc.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I love my Oakley Half-Jacket XLJs.  I have a set of clear lenses for general safety/overcast shooting and a pair of regular sunglasses lenses to use the other 95% of the time.  You don't know how nice it is to have good glasses until you have them, and you don't know how well you can keep track of a pair until you have some nice ones either.

Take the plunge and go Oakley.  Most of their designs incorporate the ability to quickly switch lenses (some quicker than others), so don't worry about making the wrong choice as you can always rectify it for another $30 or so .
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Wiley-X SG-1 for all around use.  NEW model V-cuts for high humidity or cold tempature use.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:50:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Oakley (half jackets) are to thick for me to get a good seal using my comtacs.  So I have uber eye protection with a big loss to hearing protection.

I ended spending 8 bucks for two pair saftey glasses down at Sam's.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:30:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Oakley (half jackets) are to thick for me to get a good seal using my comtacs.  So I have uber eye protection with a big loss to hearing protection.

I ended spending 8 bucks for two pair saftey glasses down at Sam's.

I usually double up so it's not a big deal.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:35:21 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm just glad to read that some of you out there have enough common sense to wear safety glasses period. I've seen enough knuckle heads out there get dinged in the eye's, and then start wearing safety glasses
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:57:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Uncle Sugar gave me the boot in November for bad eyes.  While it is too lengthy to describe in detail, my condition is similar to Macular Degeneration, and eventually, Ill lose all central vision.  
Thankfully, while I am considered blind in the left eye, with no central vision, the problems in the right eye are up and right of center.  Bottom line, I am right eye dominant, and I can still shoot.  

However, because my eyes are "brittle" recoil and muzzle blast can be a problem, and I am sunlight sensitive, as my eyes have trouble dialating.  I wear Oakley's.   Not for the name, or the fashion, but because they have (for me) the best all around protection, and make bright days bearable.  I also have a set of Oakley Goggles that I bought at the exchange for $20.00.  Nothing fancy, but they do fit over my prescription lenses which I just got on Friday.  

Someday, probably before Im 50, Ill have to put ALL my guns up.  I know its coming, and anything I can do to prolong that day, Ill do.  Safety Glasses are paramount.  For years I did not wear them, and there is a chance that I hastened my condition because of it.   Brand names dont mean crap.  A $5.00 pair of UVEX Safety Glasses that fit, are comfortable, and you'll actually wear, beats that $100.00 pair of "Joe Cool" shades that are uncomfortable to shoot in.  

Losing your sight is a real tough kick in the balls!  Protect Your Eyes!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is what I bought.

Perhaps later I might get some high-end glasses but I kinda liked these over my other eye protection.(work supplied)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top