Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 5:42:03 AM EDT
Hello all,
 I am shopping for my first AR-15.  I want a plinker with a 5.56 chamber so I can safely shoot milsurp.  It also needs to be hi-power match legal as I will use it to give that a try.
I am looking at a used colt 6601C.  Does anyone have any experiences on this to share?  How hard is it to remove the compensator to make it competition legal?  
Thanks.
WeyBug
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:48:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the comp is pinned. if you remove it you'll find this:

just buy the one without the compensator if you want a competition legal rifle. you could also buy the MT6601C, remove the comp, thread the barrel and then add a thread protector if this will make it competition legal.

I have a MT6601 without the comp and I like it. a lot of people doesn't like 20'' heavy barrels but  the extra weight doen't bother me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input Frens.  It is one of those "This is what we got" deals so I can not choose a non-comp model.  The one I am looking at was made in 1991.  Would that make it a "pre-ban" and what is the big deal between pre and post ban?  I am very new to all of this.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for the input Frens.  It is one of those "This is what we got" deals so I can not choose a non-comp model.  The one I am looking at was made in 1991.  Would that make it a "pre-ban" and what is the big deal between pre and post ban?  I am very new to all of this.

If it was made in 1991 that would make it a preban. Preban was any "assault rifle" made prior to the September 1994 Federal ban. In a nutshell it made it illegal to have assault rifle features like flash suppressors and bayonet lugs manufactured on new rifles, or to add these features to new rifle. But it was still perfectly legal to have or add these to a rifle made prior to the ban.
So the "post ban" AR-15s you will see will look essentially the same minus a flash suppressor and bayonet lug.

But lucky for you the ban expired in Sept. 2005. So you can have all the features you want on your rifle, legally. Unfortunatley for people like me in NY, we have a state Assault Weapons ban that mirrors the Federal Ban, but with one major exception. There is no sunset provision.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it was made in 1991 that would make it a preban. Preban was any "assault rifle" made prior to the September 1994 Federal ban. In a nutshell it made it illegal to have assault rifle features like flash suppressors and bayonet lugs manufactured on new rifles, or to add these features to new rifle. But it was still perfectly legal to have or add these to a rifle made prior to the ban.
So the "post ban" AR-15s you will see will look essentially the same minus a flash suppressor and bayonet lug.

But lucky for you the ban expired in Sept. 2005 2004 . So you can have all the features you want on your rifle, legally. Unfortunately for people like me in NY, we have a state Assault Weapons ban that mirrors the Federal Ban, but with one major exception. There is no sunset provision.

Otherwise, very well said

Weybug................spend a bit of time looking through the threads here, including those in the Equipment Exchange. I believe you will find better options than the 6601, but if thats your desire.......it is a lot better than most.

If you are going to shoot competition, you will want an A2 upper (cant say with certainty which discipline requires it, but most purists wouldn't shoot anything but A2 in competition)

Id give a long hard look at:

Custom Colt (upper from Specialized Armament Warehouse, new, and a quality Colt or Rock River lower)

or the Rock River Arms National Match. It is a beautiful 20" competition ready, basic A2

welcome aboard!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 for RRA NM.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have seen the RRA National Match and would take one in a heartbeat, but they sit outside my price range..at least right now.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top