Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 1:03:02 PM EDT
How close are these colors? I'm putting a MIAD grip on my new build but I'm gonna have to use a CavArms stock until the new CTR stock is available. I don't want three different colors between the grip, stock and handguards.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone have pics of a similar setup?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
To me the MagPul brown is a browner brown.   Look at the rail covers at Magpul's website.  Also in the test video for the GenII followers (in the mag forum here I think) the CTR stock looks brown...

TS
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I just watched that video and either my laptop is screwed or that stock is black?

I just ordered the MIAD grip anyway. I'll post some pics of it with the CavArms stuff when it gets in.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Its real close! I just did mine. I have a Cav Arms stock and hand guards, Magpul MAID grip, and the rest painted Brownells Coyote.

The Cav Arms Coyote is a match for Brownells Coyote Aluma-HYDE II. The Magpull stuff is just slightly darker/browner. So close, I wont even bother messing with it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info. That's good news.

Have a pic?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Anyone have pics of a similar setup?

Not a similar setup but... this is a Cav-Arms Coyote Ergo Grip with the Magpul brown M93:

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:53:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't want three different colors between the grip, stock and handguards.

Why not, it's like basic camouflage, doesn't affect the way the rifle functions and when you are shooting the rifle, you will never notice it. Choose the gear that fits your needs and, if you really, really feel the need to have matching colors, you can always get the parts painted.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:03:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't want three different colors between the grip, stock and handguards.

Why not....if you really, really feel the need to have matching colors, you can always get the parts painted.

Because three different colors will look like ass. I'm not building this rifle for duty/work, I'm building it for fun and I want it to look good. I also don't trust paint on plastic. All plastics gas off to a certain degree and paint will just never be the same as molded color. Plus why should I invest more money to color match via paint when I could just buy parts that match in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Because three different colors will look like ass. I'm not building this rifle for duty/work, I'm building it for fun and I want it to look good. I also don't trust paint on plastic. All plastics gas off to a certain degree and paint will just never be the same as molded color. Plus why should I invest more money to color match via paint when I could just buy parts that match in the first place.

Actually, I should have said "refinished" as in refinished with Duracoat and not "painted" as in spray paint. Regardless, I'm curious as to why you want it to look good. Seriously. I'm not looking to stir anything up here nor am I singling you out. There are a lot of people here who are concerned with how their ARs look. I'm trying to understand why it matters to some people and not to others beyond the fact that some folks view their ARs as tools while others instill value in them beyond that. I'm also trying to make the connection between "fun" and "looking good" in the context of firearms. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk about this. I am genuinely trying to understand this mindset and any insight you could give on this subject would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:06:51 AM EDT
[#10]
   I have two vehicles. One is provided for me by my employer, it is for work. I've made no cosmetic changes to it, it is completely stock with the exception of equipment provided by my employer. The other is my personal vehicle. I've customized it to fit my personal taste. It has new rims and tires, tinted windows etc...It's nothing more than a mode of transportation, just like the company vehicle. However, it's mine and I enjoy working on it and changing it to look and function differently than other similar vehicles.
   The same applies to my firearms. Any weapon issued to me by an employer is left stock unless changed or approved by the agency armorer. I make no changes to duty weapons because they're a tool of the job, no different than my radio or the pen in my pocket. I've never considered painting my Peerless cuffs to match my duty belt.
   My personal firearms are a different story. If I know I like an Ergo grip because it fit's my hand and functions best for me, then why shouldn't I buy it in a color I like for a fun gun? Form and function don't have to be mutually exclusive. Please post some pics of your various firearms. Have you never bought new grips for a single action six shooter or 1911 because they looked good? Never picked one holster over the other due to color? Even if all your guns are stock and basic black you've still made a choice based on appearance. You chose basic stock black as your preference. Otherwise you would buy the first thing you saw and would have a green grip, black stock, tan handguards etc....You made a choice based on appearance whether you know it or not.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:36:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Please post some pics of your various firearms.

I have and there is a picture of my mid-length with non-matching OD parts (Tango Down and Mapul) in the mid-length picture thread that's floating around here some where. My 20" AR is exactly the same way.

Have you never bought new grips for a single action six shooter or 1911 because they looked good? Never picked one holster over the other due to color?
I bought a Springfield MC Operator (black slide and OD frame) which is the inverse of what I woud like looks wise but I bought it because it had had the features I wanted. I also bought a 9mm Springfield 1911 in Stainless Steel and while I don't like SS because it's very shiny and reflective, I bought it because it was the 9mm 1911 that best suited my needs. I replaced the stock wood grips (I prefer metal and synthetics over wood for durability reasons) with Alumagrips because I like the way the Aluma grips feel. I did pick anodized Aluma grips because they more closely matched the pistol's finish (but not exactly). I thought about getting black Alumagrips because in a way they look better but I figured if I was going to have a shiny pistol I might as well go all the way.

Even if all your guns are stock and basic black you've still made a choice based on appearance. You chose basic stock black as your preference.
All my ARs started in black because that's the way they came. There were no color options. I should also mention that the "black" finish on 2 of my lowers doesn't match the finish on 2 of my uppers but I don't see a need to get anything refinished to match becaue they work fine and are protected from the elements. I started replacing black parts with OD green because, as we all know, black is more conspicuous than green, especially in the area I live in.

Otherwise you would buy the first thing you saw and would have a green grip, black stock, tan handguards etc....You made a choice based on appearance whether you know it or not.
I'm afraid  I'm not clearly illustrating my point. I never said aestethics weren't a consideration when purchasing a firearm. They are the last thing on my list of criteria that use when selecting a firearm for my needs.

Again, I am not faulting you for feeling the way you do about matching colors. I never insulted you nor condemned you for wanting things to match. I was merely trying to better understand why some people care about matching colors and others do not. That is all.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Not a problem, I never thought you were attacking me. The accessory business is a mutli million dollar enterprise. I'm far from the only one who takes an interest in the appearance of their firearm. At the end of the day it's all about individual preference. I agree that the choice of form over function is a poor one, but when the two go hand in hand everyone wins.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top