Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 10:49:46 AM EDT
I installed a collapsible stock on my RRA upper. the stock is not branded but matches the original RRA perfectly and functions and shoots just as well. the fit of the rear after locking in any position has a 1/8" or so give to it in any direction. if you were to shake her it rattles around and is not tight by any means. hope that makes sense and is that normal or is it just cheapo? FYI correct springs/etc was installed as well.

thanks gurus
jld
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#1]
There are a few, and maybe more, reasons that would make it rattle. One being a Chicom knock-off, two being a stock made for a non mil-spec buffer tube on a mil-spec buffer tube, three being a bad batch of plastic made at the plant that molded it. Which is it in your case?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#2]
sounds like a cheapo

several members here have good luck sticking soft sided velcro to the top of the buffer tube (entire length) to cure rattles.  Your stock should slide right over the top, yet will fit slightly tighter.

This won't cure the 1/8th" of travel front to back you are experiencing...

fortunately, I haven't had that issue (non mil-spec, or otherwise) with any of my collapsible stocks.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
....several members here have good luck sticking soft sided velcro to the top of the buffer tube (entire length) to cure rattles.

That sounds like a damn good idea. Wish I had seen that trick back in the day when I had the same problem on one of my AR's. Instead I went out and bought a whole new mil-spec LMT c'-buttstock kit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#4]
My RR does the same thing. Seems reasonable to me. A collapsible has to have some play or will lock up with a little dirt in it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:29:47 AM EDT
[#5]
checked out mine closer - it is just loose in all range of motion yet functions completely as it should. I just don't like how loose it is but I can live with it.

I will try the velcro BUT I'd think my cleaning solution fumes would eventually get to the adhesive on the velcro in storage? any thoughts? I'd guess you would have to clean the buffer tube with alcohol where applying the velcro or it won't stick becuse of the oils in the cleaning solutions?

great idea thanks any others?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:35:27 AM EDT
[#6]
There are several methods for tightening up your collapsible stock. I use 2 strips of electrical tape placed perpendicularly around the rounded top portion of the buffer tube, (but then I tend to leave my stock set in one position at all times, YMMV).

Mike
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:38:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Try using a hair dryer and blowing (heating)  through the stock itself from each end.  This is with the stock off the receiver extension.  Heat....test....heat....test.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:45:15 AM EDT
[#8]
the unmarked rra stock i got from rb precision is super tight.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#9]
without a search or trying can you remove the stock end off the tube so I can see what the issue is? you know what I mean? as far a the hair dryer what would that do?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
without a search or trying can you remove the stock end off the tube so I can see what the issue is? you know what I mean? as far a the hair dryer what would that do?

hair dryer would soften the plastic allowing you to ever-so-slightly form it to your desired tightness.  go slowly and it works.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#11]
how do you remove it off the tube to use the dryer I'd like to give it a shot.

thanks
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
how do you remove it off the tube to use the dryer I'd like to give it a shot.

thanks

Push and hold the rear of the stock's lever down and pull it off the tube.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#13]
May not be a cheapo. All of the Bushy stocks I have seen do it. Used the dryer and vise trick on 3 of them. It works and stays tight. You just take the stock body off. Wrap it in a towel or old shirt so you dont mar it. Then heat through it til it becomes hot and slowly clamp the vice down on it. DONT GO CRAZY!!! Do a little at a time and keep checking the fit. When it's to your liking your done. Do it you'll be happy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#14]
good deal - with the vice are we squeezing the sides of the stock (if it were in shooting position) or top/bottom or in a circular groove on vice? how much heat are we talking to warm that up as I would never have thought of this.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#15]
You put it in the vise so you squeeze the sides in. Doesnt take much heat just a hair dryer or heat gun for a minute or so till the whole stock gets pretty hot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#16]
My Bushy rattles alot aswell.I`m deffenetly gonna have try this out sometime this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#17]
my stock will not pull all the way off must have something blocking it won't pull off farther than the last position. tried various pressure on the locking latch to no avail - any ideas?

nevermind got it you have to PULL the complete latch assembly down at the bolt attachment not just releasing the lever to change positions.

thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#18]
You must pull down on the position lever while pulling the stock off the buffer tube.  If it is still "catching" you just need to pull the lever a bit more.  

Thanks to Tweak and the guys on the troubleshooting page for this advice.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#19]
tried it by hand with some oven mits - tighted it up a bit but still has some play but I can live with it. might try it in the vice another day.

thanks guys for the tips
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Try some skateboard/ladder wrung tape at the end of the locking pin track- almost to the end of the buffer tube on the flat ... cut a piece just smaller than the flat flare the edges with something hot, super glue the edges let it dry smear some CLP on it force it on work it a bit and rattle gone with complete function ...did my CAR stock which are famous for rattle just after the Ban Sunset and I haven't heard it since then .    FYI  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Unless you are Hercules you wont be able to apply nearly enough pressure by hand.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Used the dryer and vise trick on 3 of them. It works and stays tight. You just take the stock body off. Wrap it in a towel or old shirt so you dont mar it. Then heat through it til it becomes hot and slowly clamp the vice down on it. DONT GO CRAZY!!! Do a little at a time and keep checking the fit. When it's to your liking your done. Do it you'll be happy.

+1

Out of all the so called "fixes" this is the only true fix that works and is permanent... The others are only band aids, and band aids need to be changed or replaced every so often...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought from BRAVO COMPANY there OLD SCHOOL Telestock it was Very Cheap Price
And it doesnt rattle or gives PING sounds for under 40 buck and made in the USA is a steal?

A Tele Stock is only as strong as the Buffer Tube!

Sorta like a Chain is strong by weakest Link
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top