Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 3:56:20 PM EDT
Was watching the news tonight...the Winchester plant in Conn. is closing. There were very few details, and it sounded like only the firearms manufacturing facility was involved. Am I the last one to know? How long has this been in the works? I'm wondering about their ammo manufacturing branch. We NEED more Q3131!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the general disscusion forum,there is tons of ifo about it there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Harry, will do. I hardly ever go there. People want to talk about their cats and their BMWs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW:  The ammo company and the rifle company have been owned seperately since 1981.  Olin still owns the ammo company and the trademark "Winchester".  USRAC merely leases the right to label their rifles with the Winchester name.  USRAC has another plant in Columbia, SC near the FNMI plant.  This is not a coincidence as FN Herstal owns USRAC.

Of course, I suppose this means we won't see a Winchester AR-15 clone any day soon.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Dewatters -
Thanks for straightening me out. I thought that Olin merely operated the ammo operations and that Winchester still owned the tangibles and the name. It's hard to keep this stuff straight.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Olin, via the Western Cartridge Company, purchased Winchester way back in 1931.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top