Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 10:17:59 PM EDT
I notice that alot of readers mention Colt as THE prefererred brand but Colt also seems to be the butt of many jokes regarding quality control.  These two things seem to be counter-intuitive to me, could someone elaborate please?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Colt's are good. Very good in fact since they are pioneers in their field. So you will never go wrong with a Colt.

That being said, Colt seems at times to have gotten too big for their britches (so to speak). They have at times been "lacking" in their customer service and quality control department. That is the butt of the problem of some of the people around here. But thats the usual pitfall of a company that has gotten big .... with a big number of orders to fill ... and fill FAST.

IMO
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:16:31 AM EDT
[#2]
My understanding is that Colt is noted for their additional quality control measures. One of their selling points.
So anytime they fall short in that area (like the rubber band I found in my handguard), they get teased mercilessly for it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:52:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I've noticed I have never seen a real colt. Up close I have seen them on the internet. That is saying a lot. I go to at least 4-10 gun shows a year and havn't seen one even at gun stores. I guess I don't look enough. Isn't colt under a new name?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:28:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My understanding is that Colt is noted for their additional quality control measures. One of their selling points.
So anytime they fall short in that area (like the rubber band I found in my handguard), they get teased mercilessly for it.

Good point.

Colt is held to a higher standard than the others (in the AR/M16 field).

So when any little thing happens......its news and a big deal.

while others make good guns, they are routinely given a pass for the same incidents or type of quality issue that Colt gets lambasted for. (see Bushmaster)

13thwarrior............No. Colt is not  under another name.

They cost a bit more, and IMHO are worth it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:37:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point.

Colt is held to a higher standard than the others (in the AR/M16 field).

So when any little thing happens......its news and a big deal.

while others make good guns, they are routinely given a pass for the same incidents or type of quality issue that Colt gets lambasted for. (see Bushmaster)

13thwarrior............No. Colt is not  under another name.

They cost a bit more, and IMHO are worth it.

Yup. They just spun off a new division to handle their military / leo contracts. Colt Defense as opposed to Colt Mfg. Industries. (If I recall correctly. )
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:56:12 AM EDT
[#6]
They also bought out Diemaco of canada I beleive.I was a big Colt basher at times but now my philosophy is..every manufacturer/assembler makes mistakes no matter what is being made.And now adays weather its A,B or C or even R get an AR when ever you can.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:46:47 AM EDT
[#7]
My issues with Colt center around how they've stripped their civvy line of quality parts and features and their disdain for the civvy market in general.  Personally, I don't think they deserve my money.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I notice that alot of readers mention Colt as THE prefererred brand but Colt also seems to be the butt of many jokes regarding quality control.  These two things seem to be counter-intuitive to me, could someone elaborate please?

Its called the internet. You should believe what it tells you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Nobody who knows there ass from a hole in the ground is going to tell you a Colt "Sucks". It is simply not the case. Colt makes a top of the line AR and that’s all their is to it. The problem is that a very small group continues to troll any thread involving every other manufacturer and flames it with their moronic Kool-Aid crap. This leaves Colt problem threads wide open to those who wish to pounce on the Kool-Aid drinkers. Oddly enough most of them have ducked this thread. No balls.

This has been a problem on ARFCOM for some time and until the tech forums get constant moderating it's not going to stop.

My four major problems with Colt:
(1.) Past problems with civilian market
(2.) Colt’s uses of lawsuits instead of their own innovation to hold back their competitors.
(3.) The behavior of 5% of their Internet supporters.
(4.) Additional cost – based on little if anything.

Please notice that none of my problems with Colt has to do with quality or reliability.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#10]
i purchased a colt 6450 9mm carbine and have to say that compared to all the followers here i was disappointed.

anodizing was flaking in a lot of areas and i was the first to open the box
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My issues with Colt center around how they've stripped their civvy line of quality parts and features and their disdain for the civvy market in general.  Personally, I don't think they deserve my money.  YMMV.

+1
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Well said.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My issue with Colt is that while they may be slightly better (more MPI testing, spec buffer tube, etc) - the additioanl "quality" is worth maybe $50, not the $200 markup you regularly see.

Colt is great quality, no question about it. I just don't think they are a good value - and I'd rather buy what I consider equivalent quality for less.

But I've got nothing against their product at all.  They make great rifles.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#14]
FWIW, You don't see a whole lot of Colts at Perry.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Good luck getting a consistent answer on this one!

Colt's are damn good AR's. Anybody who tells you different is a dumbass. That is fact, not opinion.

The fights start because some people think that Colt's are the end all, be all when it comes to AR's and that no other company even comes close. (The slogan they like to use is "Colt, because anything else is just a copy"

Then you have the other side that thinks that Colt's are way over priced. They figure you can get a functionally equivalent AR from another company for less money so in their eyes, paying "Colt" prices is stupid and those who do it are either idiots or Colt "Kool-Aid" drinkers.

Then there is a third group that thinks Colt, the company, is the anti-Christ and that buying from Colt is like praying to the devil.

Basically it boils down to this for me. If you've got the coin or come across a good deal on one, buy a Colt and you will likely never regret spending the extra money. If you have more time then money, Build you own which will allow you to get a just as good (if not better) AR for less money then a Colt. A side benefit of that is you will get to know your AR better then you ever will from buying a factory built one. If you are just looking for an AR to play with but don't want to blow a lot of money, a factory stock BM or RRA will likely work just fine for you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nobody who knows there ass from a hole in the ground is going to tell you a Colt "Sucks". It is simply not the case. Colt makes a top of the line AR and that’s all their is to it. The problem is that a very small group continues to troll any thread involving every other manufacturer and flames it with their moronic Kool-Aid crap. This leaves Colt problem threads wide open to those who wish to pounce on the Kool-Aid drinkers. Oddly enough most of them have ducked this thread. No balls.

This has been a problem on ARFCOM for some time and until the tech forums get constant moderating it's not going to stop.

(2.) Colt’s uses of lawsuits instead of their own innovation to hold back their competitors.

Please notice that none of my problems with Colt has to do with quality or reliability.

Kind of reminds me of the LMT Koolaid of which you sip.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Colt's are damn good AR's. Anybody who tells you different is a dumbass. That is fact, not opinion.

No, that is an opinion.... unless you use emprical data to establish it first as a theory, and then have others replicate your testing to make it a fact.  Anyone who doesn't understand that is a dumbass.

(but it is also my OPINION that Colt makes damned good quality AR's)

The fights start because some people think that Colt's are the end all, be all when it comes to AR's and that no other company even comes close. (The slogan they like to use is "Colt, because anything else is just a copy"

Then you have the other side that thinks that Colt's are way over priced. They figure you can get a functionally equivalent AR from another company for less money so in their eyes, paying "Colt" prices is stupid and those who do it are either idiots or Colt "Kool-Aid" drinkers.

Then there is a third group that thinks Colt, the company, is the anti-Christ and that buying from Colt is like praying to the devil.

How incomplete.  There is a fourth group, which dislikes Colt, not on price or political stances, but on the fact that they bastardized their AR-15's my making proprietary (non spec) pivot pin holes, fire control groups, and sear blocks, when they had no reason to do this.

Then there is a 5th group, which dislikes Colt, because they know Colt is overpriced, uses bastardized non spec parts, and ultimately, is the Anti-Christ.  

Basically it boils down to this for me. If you've got the coin or come across a good deal on one, buy a Colt and you will likely never regret spending the extra money.

I did that, and I somewhat regret it.  I could never get past the bullshit pivot difference.  I tried the adapters... so I could shoot different uppers.  They all suck.  I put the colt back together, stuck it in my safe, and bought a different lower that was built to spec.  Therefore, your argument is not 100% valid.

If you have more time then money, Build you own which will allow you to get a just as good (if not better) AR for less money then a Colt. A side benefit of that is you will get to know your AR better then you ever will from buying a factory built one. If you are just looking for an AR to play with but don't want to blow a lot of money, a factory stock BM or RRA will likely work just fine for you.

That statement, is 100% on the money.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Nobody who knows there ass from a hole in the ground is going to tell you a Colt "Sucks". It is simply not the case. Colt makes a top of the line AR and that’s all their is to it . . .

I agree. The Colt I USED to own was built well and functioned fine. It was not as accurate as the RRA I replaced it with, however. But my problem with Colt can be summed up in two words: sear block.

Colt trusts their customers so much that they install a block into the receiver so you can't (unless you really want to, of course) convert the gun to automatic fire. But doing so also means your choice of upgraded triggers is very limited. Also, I believe that Colt has to design a relief in their bolt carriers to clear the block. That means that if you buy somebody else's upper, the bolt carrier that comes with it might not clear the stupid block.

Sometimes I wonder if Colt really WANTS to sell guns to anyone but the military and police. Maybe they don't really believe we should own them. They need not worry in my case. Unless the deal is too good to pass up I'll never buy another one. I sure wouldn't buy one new.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nobody who knows there ass from a hole in the ground is going to tell you a Colt "Sucks". It is simply not the case. Colt makes a top of the line AR and that’s all their is to it . . .

I agree. The Colt I USED to own was built well and functioned fine. It was not as accurate as the RRA I replaced it with, however. But my problem with Colt can be summed up in two words: sear block.

Colt trusts their customers so much that they install a block into the receiver so you can't (unless you really want to, of course) convert the gun to automatic fire. But doing so also means your choice of upgraded triggers is very limited. Also, I believe that Colt has to design a relief in their bolt carriers to clear the block. That means that if you buy somebody else's upper, the bolt carrier that comes with it might not clear the stupid block.

Sometimes I wonder if Colt really WANTS to sell guns to anyone but the military and police. Maybe they don't really believe we should own them. They need not worry in my case. Unless the deal is too good to pass up I'll never buy another one. I sure wouldn't buy one new.

You need to update your data.  The block Colt uses now no longer interferes with the carrier.  Any brand of carrier will work.  As a frame of reference, the only current production lower receiver that isn't blocked is Bushmaster so you might as well cross a whole bunch of brands off your list.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#20]
i have no problem with paying more to get more...  i dropped too much money on a colt CAR for shooting prairie dogs.  it shoots well.  the trigger was supposed to be "better than stock" and it isn't even close.  in point of fact, mine was very poor, regardless it was and is to this day devoid of quality issues.  i've never had anything "wrong" with a colt.  

if i had it to do over again, i buy a bushy, RRA, or superior.  armalite is good stuff too, but for that particular use the varmit shooter model from bushy is just as good for far less $$$.  

i have to admit, they have turned a blind eye to the civvy market.  with the "explosion" of the AR platform in recent years, they offer little and are priced in position to not compete.  

i sell iron for a living.  if any of you needs a turbine or an engine for a locomotive or pleasurecraft let me know - i'm the very definition of "valued added" selling.  i just don't see it here.  colt is good stuff, but not necessarily better stuff.  if i gave up a little and said they were, i'd have to agree with DK-Prof and say it was worth a small margin, not a large one...  

yeah, colt's fine...  so are many others at a lower cost...

two cents...

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It's people like you that are the problem. Learn to stop thinking for yourself. Free thinking and questioning and personal experiance tell you something that isnt true. Colt is the BEST!!!

Colt is better because I'm a lemming telling you so. I will prove Colt is better because I can read from my Colt script

"Park under the FSB so it doesn't rust.

An F marked FSB that is the correct height.

A Chrome Lined Brl that is actually 1 in 7, not 1 in 7ish or 1 in 9.

Proof testing on the brl (All of them, not a sample) and then MP testing.

The correct extractor spring. (Black not blue)

The correct buffer tube.

MP testing on the bolt.

Real M4 Feed Ramps for reliable feeding..."

Dont you get it, this proves Colt is better. When RRA beat Colt in the DOJ/DHS trials it was a fluke because COLT IS PARKED UNDER THE FSB. Accept it, Colt needed a Do-over but it means nothing. I will gladly pay more for a Colt because RRA hasn’t been in business as long and the Logo for sure is better. An instructor of my Carbine class once said on a message board Colt is better so how can you have any doubt.

I know I cant prove MP testing bolts survive longer with a myth busting statistical sample, but Pat Rogers says Colt is better and I accept that without question.

Seriously, I know RRA and Bushmaster sell tons of AR15's, but they dont make them well because Colt has carpet stains that are older than those two companies combined

I swear people like you are what is wrong with ARFCOM. Use Google and learn something because google like Colt is mil-spec
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Dang, some of you guys got sand in your you know what.  Or is it that time of the month?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You need to update your data.  The block Colt uses now no longer interferes with the carrier.  Any brand of carrier will work.  As a frame of reference, the only current production lower receiver that isn't blocked is Bushmaster so you might as well cross a whole bunch of brands off your list.

So, does that mean that Colt rifles accept all the aftermarket triggers now? Or are you saying that all the other brands are like Colt and won't accept aftermarket triggers. If either is the case, I stand corrected.

I still like my RRA better than the Colt I owned though. If nothing else, the two halves sure fit better together on the RRA.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, does that mean that Colt rifles accept all the aftermarket triggers now? Or are you saying that all the other brands are like Colt and won't accept aftermarket triggers. If either is the case, I stand corrected.

I still like my RRA better than the Colt I owned though. If nothing else, the two halves sure fit better together on the RRA.

Colt's still drills the hammer/trigger holes the wrong size on thier semiautos.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#25]
My Colt AR shoots sweetly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#26]
So Woody600................

Is it any wonder you get conflicting advice/information on Colt?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure on the trigger issue as I run stock triggers in my guns.  I also have an RRA lower that I'm very fond of.  It currently sports an LMT upper and is pulling duty as my entry gun.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I did that, and I somewhat regret it.  I could never get past the bullshit pivot difference.  I tried the adapters... so I could shoot different uppers.  They all suck.  I put the colt back together, stuck it in my safe, and bought a different lower that was built to spec.  Therefore, your argument is not 100% valid.

Even you would have to admit that you are in a very small minority of people who regret buying a Colt. I would be willing to bet there are more people who regret buying any other brand of AR that you can mention. You also know the issue you are complaining about has not been an issue with Colt's for a long time. Either way, If you regret buying it then there is an easy solution. Sell it and quit bitching. Unless you paid too much for it in the first place (like during the ban) then you probably won't loose any money on it.

You know, I realize there hasn't been good Colt bitchfest in a while but really people, don't you ever get sick of this same old stupid argument? Same people, same old tired points, same blah, blah, blah. Get over it already. I have so on that note I'll back out now and let you guys enjoy the rest of your bitchfest
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even you would have to admit that you are in a very small minority of people who regret buying a Colt.

No - I would have to see some empirical data.  How can I admit something I do not know?

You also know the issue you are complaining about has not been an issue with Colt's for a long time.

Makes no difference.  You made a statement.  I gave facts to refute the statement.  Now you revise your statement to talk about year models?  

Either way, If you regret buying it then there is an easy solution. Sell it and quit bitching.

Sir, I was not bitching.  I was merely stating my experiences, and refuting something you said.... no Colt owners regret their decision.  When you are wrong, you are just wrong.  

Unless you paid too much for it in the first place (like during the ban) then you probably won't loose any money on it.

I paid $900 for it during the ban.  Don't assume I paid too much just because it was purchased during the ban days.  I wont loose lose any money on it... it is worth right at $900 or so today.  Although, I have no intentions of selling it any time soon.

You know, I realize there hasn't been good Colt bitchfest in a while but really people, don't you ever get sick of this same old stupid argument?

Why did you post here?

Same people, same old tired points, same blah, blah, blah. Get over it already. I have so on that note I'll back out now and let you guys enjoy the rest of your bitchfest

Uh huh.... you just had to come along, throw in your 2 cents, and now somehow you are better than us?

Sounds like a Colt eletist to me.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#31]
This whole argument is similar to the Apple vs PC fight.

It's clear to any rational human that one is better (Apple/Colt).

Yet a far greater number of people have invested a lot of time, money and sweat into the multidude of "lesser" products (Compaq, HP, Dell, BM, Armalite....) to the point  where emotionally, they feel they must argue their merits, and must criticize even the tiniest chink in the superior product's armor.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yet a far greater number of people have invested a lot of time, money and sweat into the multidude of "lesser" products (Compaq, HP, Dell, BM, Armalite....) to the point  where emotionally, they feel they must argue their merits, and must criticize even the tiniest chink in the superior product's armor.

Can you at least get your analogies right.

Apple and PC’s are different formats. Bushmaster and Colt are the same format.

Learn to memorize the Kool Aid script; it is easier than free thinking.

Here you go. Learn it well

The correct buffer tube.

MP testing on the bolt.

Now here is the tricky part, you need to learn how recite this script in every thread, even if it is in GD about how goats mate, or on an AR15 thread asking about refinishing sprays. It's an artform.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you at least get your analogies right.

Apple and PC’s are different formats. Bushmaster and Colt are the same format.

Learn to memorize the Kool Aid script; it is easier than free thinking.

Here you go. Learn it well

The correct buffer tube.

MP testing on the bolt.

Now here is the tricky part, you need to learn how recite this script in every thread, even if it is in GD about how goats mate, or on an AR15 thread asking about refinishing sprays. It's an artform.

Funny........................you can get almost all of those features just by using a Colt barrel and bolt.  The rest is egotistical fluff.

Who would have ever thought to just use Colt barrels and bolts in their builds????
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I see it's a taste thing.  I am going to go with marketing scheme that hooked me best and get a RRA.  I'm sure the Colts are real nice but I can't justify the cost on my budget at the moment.  I already have my anti-zombie-ninja-bear rifle, a VEPR.  I do believe in variety though and plan to get an Armalite someday too, maybe even a Colt if money allows.  What's the saying around here?  Get both of them?  Get all of them?  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

100% correct and I'm in total agreement.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#36]
My match rifle started life as a DPMS.

It's got a match barrel.

a Jewel trigger, Jones rear sight, and a lot of the parts are not original.

I wouldn't trade it for any Colt made.

When you build a match rifle, all you are really starting out with is an upper, a lower and a few generic parts.

BTW, don't start this 'you have a parts gun' bullshit. Every single production rifle out there is a parts rifle.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Save yourself some money and get the Bushmaster. It's every bit as good.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Gentlemen! Please remember what the original post was about:

Quoted:

Let's not turn this thread into another Colt bashing fiesta.

That being said .... carry on with the discussion.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I had a Colt Match Target 6520(16" flat-top,h-bar) that I bought new in 1995 for @$820.00. I shot @10'000+ rounds through it shooting 3-gun. I kept it clean and in good shape. Sold it last week at the gun show for $825.00 to fund a new FAL. Try that with any other brand.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Haveing used Colts and FN's in the army and haveing owned Colt, RRA , Bushmaster & Mega I'd say that you are not getting anything more for your money with colt. I've spent alot of time over the last few years mostly buying and shooting AK's and have just got back into AR's  and I just don't see the point of spending more on Colt when you can have more for less.

Does Colt make a nice AR sure but is it better no not really.

BTW I still own all the ones above except the Colt and it wasn't a bad rifle just overrated.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:30:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Colt makes a great AR, anyone who says otherwise is either stupid or lying. However, I  can't justify the extra money to get one. I ended up going with RRA, a company nobody ever seems to complain about (thats not to say they are better than Colt though). Functions great and better fit and finish. That is one area where Colt quality control really suffers. Maybe I'm dumb but fit and finish means SOMETHING to me, at least when I'm spending $600 more for the rifle. Here:ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=260375 some good photos and at least a couple paragraphs of useful info.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top