Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 10:59:02 PM EDT
How glossy is the Grey\Black and Socom black finish?

I have tried Brownells GunKote and it came out rather glossy for my tastes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#1]
stickman's norells refinishing thread

there is also descriptions at norell's site

here's the grayish-black flat
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Stickman has been very generous in introducing me to the world of Teflon refinishing. However, I started foolishly on a different route because of the Brownells discount on Gunkote.

The Gunkote finish is strong and has served its purpose as a tough rust and scratch resistant finish but just seems glossy on my rifle.

I'm wondering if perhaps it was just the spray can and the distance at which i sprayed the rifle?
or is that just a familiar characteristic with Gunkote in general?

Since then, I have bought a Badger airbrush in hopes that I will be happier with Norrells.

Can anyone supply a picture of a Gunkote and Norrells product together?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Stickman has been very generous in introducing me to the world of Teflon refinishing. However, I started foolishly on a different route because of the Brownells discount on Gunkote.

The prodical son has returned....

There are a few thoughts I would give you before you give up on what you currently have.

1.  Make sure you shake it VERY well.

2.  Preheat it, the more you preheat, the flatter the finish.

3.  Spray LIGHT coats, and mist them on.  You shouldn't be getting full coverage on one coat.  Spray from a little further back.  Spray a light coat, warm it back up, spray another light coat, warm it back up, repeat as needed.

Take your current glossy item, and make sure you aren't using gloss.  Next, heat the item in the oven up to 300, then spray LIGHT coats fogging it onto the surface.  you should be able to fog on one coat, then drop it back in the oven.  

This is going to be important to keep the temperature high, which is what will give you the ultra flat/ matte finish that all the cool people have.

To answer your initial question, "How glossy is the Grey\Black and Socom black finish?", they are both matte when applied properly.  You can only get a gloss or sheen to the finish when you apply it too heavy.

"I'm wondering if perhaps it was just the spray can and the distance at which i sprayed the rifle?"-  My guess would be that was the problem.  Spray whats left in out of the spray can into the bottle right before you spray the above manner using your airbrush.  A spray can doesn't do a good job when compared to an airbrush.

Let me know if you have any questions, I think we can get you up and running with what you currently have.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top