Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 7:20:43 AM EDT
Hey all,

I used to shoot a Bushmaster XM15 flattop M4gery, 14.5" barrel with permanently pinned FH, Samson MRFS-C freefloat handguard. Now I've got a Bushmaster flattop Dissy with a cut down 16.5" gov't profile bbl (rifle length gas system with enlarged gas port), KAC M5 RAS, and all the same accessories I had on the M4gery (big 125 lumen Surefire light, TD foregrip, KAC rail panels, CQ/T as primary optic).

My questions are these:

(1) Since my handguard is no longer freefloating, how much will using a 3 point sling affect POI if I pull the sling tight to support offhand shooting? I'm not talking super-tight, just enough to support some of the weight on my weak-side arm.

(2) How much will a rail mounted bipod affect POI?

(3) If shooting with a single point sling, how long should the "average" shooter be able to hold the gun steady enough in the standing offhand position to repeatedly hit an 8" steel target at 50m?

(4) When transitioning to prone position, can you use a collapsible buttstock (I have an ACE SOCOM) to break your downward movement, or is it still a big no-no to strike any part of a gun on the ground?

I'm sure these questions have been answered in various posts, but I'd rather not spend the next hour searching for them...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:27:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hey all,

I used to shoot a Bushmaster XM15 flattop M4gery, 14.5" barrel with permanently pinned FH, Samson MRFS-C freefloat handguard. Now I've got a Bushmaster flattop Dissy with a cut down 16.5" gov't profile bbl (rifle length gas system with enlarged gas port), KAC M5 RAS, and all the same accessories I had on the M4gery (big 125 lumen Surefire light, TD foregrip, KAC rail panels, CQ/T as primary optic).

My questions are these:

(1) Since my handguard is no longer freefloating, how much will using a 3 point sling affect POI if I pull the sling tight to support offhand shooting? I'm not talking super-tight, just enough to support some of the weight on my weak-side arm.

Not enough for you to notice.

(2) How much will a rail mounted bipod affect POI?

Again, negligible. Not enough for you to notice.

(3) If shooting with a single point sling, how long should the "average" shooter be able to hold the gun steady enough in the standing offhand position to repeatedly hit an 8" steel target at 50m?

How long? I don't think I understand the question.

(4) When transitioning to prone position, can you use a collapsible buttstock (I have an ACE SOCOM) to break your downward movement, or is it still a big no-no to strike any part of a gun on the ground?

It is not really banging your carbine on the ground, but more like a controlled fall. You do not strike the butt on the ground but lead with your elbow, touch the butt down and roll with it.

Others actually "lead" with their free hand to start going to the prone position ... depends on whats comfortable for you.

I'm sure these questions have been answered in various posts, but I'd rather not spend the next hour searching for them...

Thanks!

IMO
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Thanks!

You mean as in quickly dropping to prone from a walk/run?  

I dunno how the "technical" way to do it, but this is MY guess:

1.) rifle in right hand
2.) left hand touches ground quickly followed by the left knee/leg
3.) then RIGHT elbow/arm
4.) then right knee/leg

These 4 steps done in a fluid motion so that by the time your right knee/leg is making contact with the ground, you can have your left hand up to support the front of the rifle.  

I could be totally wrong though, please correct me if I'm wrong, backwards, w/e.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

In other words, how many rounds should I be able to get on target  (assuming cadenced aimed fire, like 1 round per second) before fatigue in my weak side arm takes over and I can no longer hold the gun steady enough to hit the 8" steel target? I'm no superman, but I'm not a wet noodle, either, and I'm just wondering what others' experiences have been.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In other words, how many rounds should I be able to get on target  (assuming cadenced aimed fire, like 1 round per second) before fatigue in my weak side arm takes over and I can no longer hold the gun steady enough to hit the 8" steel target? I'm no superman, but I'm not a wet noodle, either, and I'm just wondering what others' experiences have been.

Hmmmm ... I don't think I can give you a definitive answer there. It would depend on your tolerance and the weight of your rifle i guess. I personally have not tried to shoot in succession in that position long enough that it caused me to stop because of fatigue. (I am not LEO or Military ... btw)

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top