Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 12:32:15 AM EDT
looking to put together a 24" varmint rifle.

a board member suggested having ADCO put together something for me.
now before i contact them, i'm just curious what they actually offer thats different from lets say the bushmaster varminter special, or the rra varmint eop, or even the les baer varmint upper?
better barrels? i'm willing to pay the extra dollars, if its worth it. i keep hearing nothing but great things about these guys (ADCO)

if anyone can enlighten me, please do.
thanks!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:51:48 AM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK, ADCO sells the RRA varmint guns and upppers.  I would get one of the RRA uppers from them, or Eagle Firearms, and throw it on a complete Stag lower.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:29:21 AM EDT
[#2]
24" Precision Rifle - Colt CR6724

End of story.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:48:03 AM EDT
[#3]
GET A SHAW 24 INCH FLUTED UPPER FROM J&T AND BUILD YOUR OWN LOWER RRA OR BUSHMASTER
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:58:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
AFAIK, ADCO sells the RRA varmint guns and upppers.  I would get one of the RRA uppers from them, or Eagle Firearms, and throw it on a complete Stag lower.

+1 to the idea of buying a varmint upper and building your own lower as a cost saving measure.  You can always add the trigger group you like best.  I recently bought a RRA national match trigger as the one I wanted was out of stock so long.  It surprised me how good it felt.

If your willing to pay more for a custom upper I have been looking at  JTAC 20 inch PacNor Varmint /Tac flutted barrel.   He can build you a custom upper around this barrel and has pictures in the EE section.  Most dealers just stock 16 and 18 inch custom Barrels.

ADCO are good folks to deal with.

You will find their are a lot of good dealers on this board who are also helpfull with questions you may have.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#5]
the RRA is looking to be the one.

now the rra uppers that adco sells are no different than the same uppers from any other dealer right?
im guessing that adco custom uppers dont go up to the 24", since i didnt see any in there selection of barrels.

another question, im thinking of putting on a 50mm scope on there, along with the magpul PRS.
would the RRA EOP be a wiser choice? and the 1:12 for the lighter grain varmint loads?

thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I've heard ADCO / Steve recommend the RRA varmint many times to people.  And yes, the RRA equipment on his sight is the same as anywhere else, from what I understand.  He will also build you what you want or you can get a custom already built on either the custom page or Special page.  My dad and I both have ADCO uppers and are very, very pleased with them.  The one I have now is brand new, and my dad's is a recce 16" midlength that I found to be very accurate.  Steve also says those RRA varmint uppers are very accurate and if you don't need custom rails, it would be the way to go.  I don't have any experience with the other dealers but it seems there are many fine builders associated with this site.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#7]
bobby7321,

1) The RRA uppers should be the same on any site as long as they are factory uppers.  The price may very.  

2) Most sites have 16 and 18 inch barrels as their longest custom barrels.  JTAC has the 20 in stock and others may be able to order you one.

3)The EOP is a personal preference issue.  One point I want to make on an AR scope mount is get a good one.  Don`t skimp on the mount. 1:12 would be fine for varmints.  1:9 will work for 55 to 69 grain bullets.  Above 69 1:7 or 1:65.   Bullet weight is general determined by what distance you shoot then the barrel twist is matched to the bullet you will use. Past 300 yards is were the heavier bullets and custom barrels shine in the right hands.

4)Don`t be afraid to e-mail the dealer direct with any questions these guys will be glad to help you make an informed decision.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks for all info and suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Many folks find the EOP ends up being too high after adding rings.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

End of story.

BWHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#11]
id stay away from the high railed uppers.  universal is best.  what if you want to change configurations in the future.  you could always use a riser if need be.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:15:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

End of story.

BWHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Care to enlighten me?

I was dead serious.

The CR6724 is one of the few guns I've ever sold that I really wish I had back.  My Colt was a shooter, a .25 moa rifle, one ragged hole.  I've never even heard of one of these rifles that was not an excellent shooter.  I've had several high end precision AR's, and have shot many more.  The Colt CR6724 would hang with the best of them, right out of the box, and at a fraction of the cost.

I'm not a Colt "Kool-Aid drinker", but reguardless of their other weapons, they got that one right.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top