Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 6:41:16 PM EDT
How would one go about vacume packing a rifle for long term storage?  Where might one get this done? Has anyone tried this? This storage would  be in a location where the temperature could not be controlled. Subject to possible extremes either way. I am under the impression that it is the moisture, humidity, condensation--in other words water that is the damaging factor. But protected from water how will the rifle hold up? Thanks in advance......  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmmmm.... you can do it yourself if you get a home vaccum pack thing for food. Then you need to find a good thick back long enough to do the job. With a little Google-Fu action I'm sure you could find it. Maybe you should ask at some Survival type forums, starting here.

I know if I had to go into the process blind I would wick the barrel, bust out some cosmoline, and stuff some desiccant packs in the bag before I sucked the air out. Then I would dig a hole, find a big enough I.D. PVC pipe, the glue, and two PVC caps to seal it, insert the bag, pack it all with grease, seal the tu.... oh wait, you just want to bag it right?

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hmmmmm.... you can do it yourself if you get a home vaccum pack thing for food. Then you need to find a good thick back long enough to do the job. With a little Google-Fu action I'm sure you could find it. Maybe you should ask at some Survival type forums, starting here.

I know if I had to go into the process blind I would wick the barrel, bust out some cosmoline, and stuff some desiccant packs in the bag before I sucked the air out. Then I would dig a hole, find a big enough I.D. PVC pipe, the glue, and two PVC caps to seal it, insert the bag, pack it all with grease, seal the tu.... oh wait, you just want to bag it right?

Hey!!!!! 4 inch PVC PIPE...!!! Thats it!!!!!!!!!!  Heck w/ bagging it. Thanks Seriously....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey!!!!! 4 inch PVC PIPE...!!! Thats it!!!!!!!!!!  Heck w/ bagging it. Thanks Seriously....

No prob!   I would still put some desiccant packs in with it though!

edit>>> you can get'm at any lock n' store facility....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top