Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 5:28:42 PM EDT
Been thinking of a SBR build, so stopped by the local class III dealer and asked a few questions. Thought of a few after I left so here I am. What I am trying to do is register one lower and be able to mount 2 different uppers. One .223, one 9mm. He said I can do that as long as I list both of them on the Form 1, i.e. Caliber   .223/9mm   Barrel length  11.5/10.5 and so on. Anyone ever do it this way? He said he has never, but he knows of guys that do it like this. Also, do you need to have the uppers already assembled to get the rifle registered? He made it sound like I should built the complete rifle and then register it. What if I get all this stuff together and built and the registration doesn't go through. BTW, I live in a very NFA friendly area (If that's possible) so I don't think there will be a problem. Next, since I want to swap back and forth, can I run a .223 upper with the 9mm hammer and buffer in place? I think a friend of mine was doing this with good results, but I'm not sure. If it's going to be a pain to go back and forth, I might just do a 9mmSBR and leave it like that. Last question (For now), do you need to have dedicated uppers to run the gun with a can? I was reading different threads were guys have the gas systems set up to run with suppressors on, but that they won't cycle without the can on. Sorry for all the questions. Been into my C&R's lately and haven't been around much. Got a lot to catch up on. Thanks,  Terry

BTW, how long does it take to get the Form 1 approved by the ATF usually?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#2]
You are registering the lower as an SBR.....   Don't buy an upper until the lower is registered there could be legal issues.  Seem strange a Class III wouldn't know that ... unless he plans on storing the SBR in his shop until your get your stamp ....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You are registering the lower as an SBR.....   Don't buy an upper until the lower is registered there could be legal issues.  Seem strange a Class III wouldn't know that ... unless he plans on storing the SBR in his shop until your get your stamp ....

I thought it was starnge also. Wouldn't you be breaking the law by assembling a SBR if it's noit registered yet? Also, once it's registered as a SBR, Can you ever sell it to anyone?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
First, you cannot possess an SBR until your approved paperwork comes back. Once you have a registered SBR, you can swap uppers all day long without having to list them all on the form. Just list your main barrel's caliber and barrel length and leave it at that. The BATF has been kicking back forms that have multiple calibers/lengths listed. Form 1's can take up to around 4 months to be approved, although some have gotten theirs back quicker lately.

SBR FAQ
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#5]
If you list one you can have as many spare uppers as you want as long as there is no caliber change to the one and only caliber you put on the form 1 or form 4.  Spare uppers in as amny calibers as you want are not considered a permanant cahnge and you are 100% OK.  Listing more than one caliber is a waste of time and could result in your form being rejected and one caliber being listed anyway.  You are in no way limited to the caliber listed on your form 1 or 4.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you list one you can have as many spare uppers as you want as long as there is no caliber change to the one and only caliber you put on the form 1 or form 4.  Spare uppers in as amny calibers as you want are not considered a permanant cahnge and you are 100% OK.  Listing more than one caliber is a waste of time and could result in your form being rejected and one caliber being listed anyway.  You are in no way limited to the caliber listed on your form 1 or 4.

Now you got me worried since I just sent in my forms with MULT cals listed. If it doent matter then why is it on the form? If you have more than 1 upper, and other non SBR recievers, is this a no-no. Kinda like extra MG parts as "backups" only for one reciever. Newbie to NFA
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]
MGI has a modular lower that is actually marked MULTI as the caliber.  They should not give you a hard time but depending on your examiner they might.  As for spare uppers I would say write the ATF and get a letter.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:44:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As for spare uppers I would say write the ATF and get a letter.

From a BATF letter:

Can you have several short barrel uppers (less than 16 inches) for the registered AR and still own semi-auto AR's?

The definition of a firearm in section 5845 of the NFA includes a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length. An individual possessing more than one short (less than 16 inches) barreled upper receiver for a registered AR15 along with one or more semiautomatic AR15 rifles would have under their possession of control an unregistered short barreled rifle, a violation of the NFA.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:55:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From a BATF letter:

Can you have several short barrel uppers (less than 16 inches) for the registered AR and still own semi-auto AR's?

The definition of a firearm in section 5845 of the NFA includes a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length. An individual possessing more than one short (less than 16 inches) barreled upper receiver for a registered AR15 along with one or more semiautomatic AR15 rifles would have under their possession of control an unregistered short barreled rifle, a violation of the NFA.

So that means that since I have 1 non-registered AR15 now, if I get another receiver registered as a SBR, but own 2 uppers for the registered receiver, I am in violation of the law? Man, this is alot of shit to worry about. If I do it, I might just build a 9mm SBR and let it go at that.  Terry
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:16:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From a BATF letter:

So that means that since I have 1 non-registered AR15 now, if I get another receiver registered as a SBR, but own 2 uppers for the registered receiver, I am in violation of the law? Man, this is alot of shit to worry about. If I do it, I might just build a 9mm SBR and let it go at that.  Terry

I would not worry about it. It's not a good idea to listen to guys without SBR experience on these matters. Some guys like to talk and they will fill your head with BS. All you usually will get is paranoid & tin foil hat speculation. Stick to bmmc's advice and to the M16-Full Auto Forum.

Can anybody name one individual who has gotten into trouble for having multiple SBR uppers for one SBR registered lower? How about owning one SBR upper tucked away in a safe (Alone) while he waits for his permit to clear?

I did not think so.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top