Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 4:45:56 PM EDT
I am looking into the purchase of a bipod, primarily for target applications.  It would be highly desireable for said accessory to be compatible for both prone and bench applications.  

Harris seems like a pretty good choice with both the "M" and "S" options sounding desirable from a spec sheet perspective.  That would tend to lead towards the HBBRM-S or HBLM-S models, with the key differenece being adjustment range [6-9" vs. 9-13" respectively].

Rough measurements for the prone position indicate ~9" [from the sling stud to the ground] to be just about right; of course, this is exactly at the crossover point between the two models....figures!  On a tall bench, this could be on the tall side.

I am inclined to go with the taller model, and potentially sacrifice bench performance for prone flexibility, what does y'all's experience show?  I know that the standard arfcom answer will be to get both, but I would prefer not to have to do so.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the 9-13 Harris ultralight 1A2 Model LM.  I use it for bench shooting only. I'm 6'0 tall and it is just right for me. Very nice bipod for the money. 50 - 60 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The shorter one works better for me shooting my "V" Match off the ground and it's in the lower notches with a small bag under the rear sling swivel.

If it's any taller you have to prop up on your elbows more and it's not as comfy. One thing though; I only use 20 rd. mags and even they won't drop clear without lifting the rifle.

I will admit that if I was going varmint hunting, I would probably take shooting sticks or a much taller bi-pod 'cuz of the alfalfa.

Regards,
Mild Bill
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the HBBRM-S, for both benchrest, and prone. On the bench, I have the legs all the way in, and when I go prone, the legs are out at the second to last notch. I think when I go prone,the shorter legs allow far a lower center of gravity, which for me makes for a more stable shooting position. I'm 5'9" and round in the middle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I too am in need to purchase a bipod and have the same concern.  I'm concerned that the 9-13 will be too tall for bench.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I too am in need to purchase a bipod and have the same concern.  I'm concerned that the 9-13 will be too tall for bench.  

I use either a shooting bag or a rolled up towel under the butt of my rifle, and for me, 9" is to tall. I shoot on a bench that is about 3' off the ground, and I am 5'9" tall.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use either a shooting bag or a rolled up towel under the butt of my rifle, and for me, 9" is to tall. I shoot on a bench that is about 3' off the ground, and I am 5'9" tall.

I'm also 5' 9".  We see to be the same physically, so if you recommend the shorter version, then thats helps me out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'm also 5' 9".  We see to be the same physically, so if you recommend the shorter version, then thats helps me out.

I have used the taller bipods, but I wasn't able to get comfortable going prone. The only problem for me with the shorter version, is that sometimes around here the grass/weeds are to tall.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#8]
6-9" brms, notched legs w/ pod loc
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:59:28 AM EDT
[#9]
The HBBRM-S is all you need.  I can elevate my barrel using a 30rd magazine without extending the legs.  The 9-13 will make bench/prone shooting more difficult.

The barrel is slightly angled up and it is resting on the magazine.  Note the Pod-Loc.

If you are bench resting, you are usually better off shooting off a sandbag.  Using the bipod can sometimes set up odd vibrations that may throw your shots off - YMMV.

When measuring, don't forget if you are using a rail adaptor you will be adding the thickness of that.

The only time I use the 9-13" or taller is if I would be hunting in high brush or shooting up a mountain.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:00:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replies guys.  Even though this isn't my thread, it saves me from asking the same thing.  6-9 it is then.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:42:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I prefer the HBBRM-S w/ Pod Loc
The LMS is just too tall for my needs.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies guys.  Even though this isn't my thread, it saves me from asking the same thing.  6-9 it is then.

Thread thief!

Seriously guys, thanks for the replies.  If Eklik would ever make a shoot, maybe I could take his for a test drive.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thread thief!

Seriously guys, thanks for the replies.  If Eklik would ever make a shoot, maybe I could take his for a test drive.  

....see thread about asc in ht forum
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top